News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

extend out the steering shaft

Started by ereru7, March 02, 2008, 11:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ereru7

i put a maunal gear box in my charger. how do you adjust the rod out, this box it 2 inches shorter. i remember doing this on my dart but it has been awhile.

Chatt69chgr

I believe the shaft slides inside a second shaft and the two are retained together with little plastic rods which shear and allow one shaft to slide up into the other instead of being a solid one piece shaft so during a wreck, the shaft won't stick thru your midsection.  It does seem that you could get hold of the shaft and pull it forward but that would shear the plastic pins.  I don't know if thats bad or not.  I would say that Flaming River makes a adapter to replace the Mopar coupler, in fact, they have two pieces one of which is made specifically to deal with the problem you have.  You might want to look into this solution since the Flaming River piece has zero play in it unlike the typical 40 year old Mopar Coupler.

Ghoste

I don't think it's going to pull out to meet that.  The power steering and manual columns are different lengths and if you can't get a manual column, you'll have to use an adapter like the one mentioned above.

Rolling_Thunder

I believe the shafts have both holes drilled in them...   in theory you can adjust it out and put new shear pins in.  As a side not - manual boxes have a different splined coupler 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip