News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 valve body?

Started by 68RT440, March 03, 2008, 09:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RT440

Hey fellas. Just joined the site and I must say im loving what im seeing. With that said I have a question for you guys. I have a 68 Charger R/T with a 727 that was rebuilt a couple years ago. It has a 2400 TCI converter and a Cheetah Turbo Action valve body. I am not very impressed with this valve body at all. The car is mainly a cruiser and will not see track time. Im not sure if its the design of the VB, but it will not kick down into passing gear when I get on it...it just pulls in third, and RARELY shifts up to second gear. Ive adjusted linkage and the kickdown cabe and still no passing gear. Is there another valve body out there that will provide firm shifts but reatin the passing gear? Thanks for any help
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Ghoste

You say rarely shifts to second so I have to ask, does it only do it when you put the throttle to the floor?  Part throttle kickdown wasn't added to our cars until later and it is normal for a 68 to require full throttle to engage a downshift.

MSRacing89

I have run Turbo action for years and never had problems.  Don't hear many guys complain too much about there stuff.  I would start somewhere else other than the valve body.  Are you checking the kickdown linkage at WOT to make sure you getting proper travel on the pressure switch? :shruggy:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

pullrock

Here is the linked that I posted with a similar problem that I was having.  Had some good feedback!

Hope this helps

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38577.0.html

Eric CA

68RT440

Well, I have tried what I think is every possible adjustmant procedure I could find. I even have a shop manual, but my carb is a Holley 750 vacuum secondaries so im not sure if its the same procedure as in the manual. Ive ahd other people that are knowledgable with engines try it to avail. Before the transmission was rebuilt it was fine. If youd put it to the floor around 35-40 you caould tell it shifted all the way to first and would chirp the tires on downshift and back through the upshift into second..it felt like it had more power before the engine was rebuilt :shruggy: Anyways, the guy who rebuilt its name it Mike Karas, who is a big time mopar racer around here. So maby Ill take the car back to him and see if we could get it straightened out. Thanks for the help guys!!
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

MSRacing89

Keep in mind that if you did not have a loose converter before the rebuild, the car may feel quite a bit different on the bottom end now that you have a 2400 stall.  If it was a stock/tight converter you would get that chirp at low rpm but the looser the converter the power will be felt more at the higher rpms.

Bottom line is the car may drive different now due to the 2400 stall.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.