News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Tubular B-body K-frames

Started by superduperbee, February 17, 2008, 10:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superduperbee

I'm planning to replace my original K-frame with one of the aftermarket tubular ones, to save weight, use coilovers etc. . I've seen 3 or 4 different ones advertised in Mopar Action and Mopar Muscle, and was wondering if anyone has info or experience with these as far as strength.Anyone heard of any failures? Ray

suntech

As far as i know you have at least 3 choices, as a complete kit.

The RMS one, from            www.reillymotorsports.com   
The XV level II, from          www.xvmotorsports.com
Magnuforce, from              www.magnumforce.com

I have a friend (Norwaycharger) that has the RMS one, and he is happy with it, and impressed with the quality, fit and very good instructions.

The one from Magnumforce looks nice, but IMO not very suitable for a car that gets driven a lot. It does not have engine mounts on the K frame, so you will need the forward strut kit, both to hold the shock towers in place, and for the motor mount plate.

The XV level II is a complete aluminum unit, and very nice! In my opinion the best one.

Magnumforce and XV reqiure welding of braces etc, so it is not a bolt on deal.

Good luck
Rolf

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

superduperbee

I'm using the car for drag racing only, no street driving. My main concern is, if I come down hard off the wheelie bars, I don't want the front end turning into a pretzel. I have a motor plate so motor mounts not a concern, just strength/weight. Ray

Charger74

I would say then to go with the RMS unit.  It have been proven to handle hard, wheel-pulling, hard dropping launchs for several years now.  Bill has sold many that will swear their lives on them for racing.

suntech

For road and pro touring XV is my favorite, but for drag i could not say :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

superduperbee

The RMS looks good. I can order  it without motor mounts. I had to chop the driver side mount off my K-frame for clearance for the Milodon dual line  oil system .RMS  Looks like there might even be enough clearance to run a dragster oil pan too, that would be nice! Now, if I can unload my 77 Daytona to pay for all of it! Thanks for the info guys. Ray

GT

I recently ordered and recieved an RMS unit after significant research.  Call Bill and talk to him - he will set you up right.  I went with no motor mounts as well as I'm fitting a V10 in a b-body.

I was a little worried about strength until the unit arrived - WOW.  It's made of square tubing and 3/8", 1/4", and 1/2" plate steel.  Significant stronger than the stock Kframe - no question.  Beautiful welds and it was a direct bolt in.  Only a couple of mods required: removing necessary bump stops depending on body type, and drilling holes for brackes for the upper shock towers.

Bill "steered" me into the following options: 550Lb springs, power rack, sway bar, no mounts, no brakes, 3-u joint setup, and spring bearings.  He also spec'd out and sold me the correct length/configuration of flaming river steering column since I was switching from automatic to manual.

The unit uses Mustang II spindles - so your brake options are almost endless.  Everyone sells upgrades for these spindles. 

Good luck!
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

superduperbee

I have just posted some pictures of the car in" Got a picture of your charger? Post Up" on page 69. Hemi-Hampton posted some in the 71 Super Bee V2 with orange and black interior thread. Ray

superduperbee

After talking to a couple guys at a local cruise night I went with the Magnumforce setup. The guys I talked to said they had to do all kinds of cutting drilling, fabricating and change things around to install the RMS on their 3rd generation Chargers, and said, it was a nightmare.
  The magnumforce K-frame bolted right up, even when I tried it with the old factory bolts. So far I've found out the steering rack is easier to install before bolting the K-frame up, and the rack also hits the oil filter mounting plate on my monster Milodon oil pump. Not a problem though as I have a remote dual filter setup. I just need to switch pump covers for the 10AN lines. I'm in the middle of the install right now, waiting on the backordered shocks. Magnumforce's  phone is either full of messages or just rings and rings when trying to find out when the shocks will be shipped, emailed a week ago too, no response, so I guess I just have to sit and wait.

superduperbee

Here's the install so far. I will get the upper arms, spindles and rod ends on sometime this week while waiting for the shocks to arrive. These are really nice parts. I spent an afternoon with red scotch-brite pads roughing everything up to paint. Check out the billet adapter for the coil-overs. You can see how close the rack-n-pinion is to the oil pump in the photos, new pump cover coming. I'm saving up for the Wilwood 4-wheel disk brakes.

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

71charger_fan

I'm very happy with my CAP installation. It doesn't come with sway bar brackets. On mine, the shop doing the install welded plates on the bottom. Then drilled and tapped them and used the original bushing retainers to locate the sway bar.

You can see some of it in a photo in this thread: http://wichargerguy.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=engine&action=display&thread=434&page=1

Rolling_Thunder

I hope your Magnumforce stuff works better than their shit that i put on a 71 Challenger
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

superduperbee

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on August 12, 2008, 10:45:56 AM
Is the CAP kframe any good?

I've seen a couple cars with the CAP setup, including a big block A-body street car. The guys were pretty happy with them. I wanted to get rid of the torsion bars though, always a pain to work around, so I had 2 choices. I can switch to a 12 qt. dragster oil pan later with all the extra clearance now.

Lostsheep

Quote from: superduperbee on August 12, 2008, 08:58:31 AM
Here's the install so far. I will get the upper arms, spindles and rod ends on sometime this week while waiting for the shocks to arrive. These are really nice parts. I spent an afternoon with red scotch-brite pads roughing everything up to paint. Check out the billet adapter for the coil-overs. You can see how close the rack-n-pinion is to the oil pump in the photos, new pump cover coming. I'm saving up for the Wilwood 4-wheel disk brakes.

Wow.....that looks great!!!

superduperbee

Quote from: Lostsheep on August 13, 2008, 06:13:24 AM
Quote from: superduperbee on August 12, 2008, 08:58:31 AM

Wow.....that looks great!!!

Thanks, I thought the Gunmetal Grey would contrast well with all the aluminum and black. I wrestled with the upper arms this morning, really tight fit, have to squeeze the bushings in there somehow.

superduperbee

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 12, 2008, 09:18:09 PM
I hope your Magnumforce stuff works better than their shit that i put on a 71 Challenger

Hey Rolling Thunder.....What kind of problems did you have with the Challenger?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: superduperbee on August 14, 2008, 01:05:46 PM

Aside from the K member not bolting up and no customer service from that company and the questionable welds on the sway bar and the poor fit of mounting tabs for the sway bar...     ummmm   nothing.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

chargerman68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 15, 2008, 02:07:33 PM

Aside from the K member not bolting up and no customer service from that company and the questionable welds on the sway bar and the poor fit of mounting tabs for the sway bar...     ummmm   nothing.

got to love overhaulin tv.....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

superduperbee

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 15, 2008, 02:07:33 PM

Yeah, I understand the lack of customer service. Tried calling again about the back ordered shocks got the "Messages Full" again. Someone finally learned to weld I guess, all mine look good.

chargerman68

Was going to order one of these from them but the guy on the phone was blowing me off cause i was asking a ton of questions....all he told me was just go and look online......

very bad customer service
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

superduperbee

Quote from: chargerman68 on August 15, 2008, 07:54:25 PM
Was going to order one of these from them but the guy on the phone was blowing me off cause i was asking a ton of questions....all he told me was just go and look online......

very bad customer service

Someone should try and buy the place out. While they offer an excellent product, you can't stay in business very long blowing off all your customers. I was going to order the 4-wheel disc brake setup from them, but will be getting it from Summit Racing instead. Still waiting for the shocks 3 weeks after promised.

suntech

I was going to buy a front end from Magnumforce, and asked them to come up with an offer, with delivery time ect, together with bankdetails etc. Took them 5 weeks to come up with that, and in the meantime i found out about XV, so i went with their level II instead,
I hate when you are calling, and want to spend money somewhere, and they just keep you waiting like that :brickwall:
I am happy with the service i get at XV, and i have heard just good things about Bill Reilly too. On the other hand i have heard bad things about Magnumforce before too!!

hemi-hampton

SO, Dickinskin is it all in yet :shruggy: :slap:   LEON.

shhhiiittttmmaaammmaaaaaa