News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

ok everybody, buy the new T shirts, hats and die cast!!   :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

50 career wins now for Kyle Busch

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Be thankful he doesn't have 7 or more championships:

odcics2

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on September 21, 2018, 10:08:29 PM
Hope he can help turn Roush Fenway around.  The young blood isn't getting it done
The engineering on the Roush cars is fundamentally screwed up.   They talk about making progress.   But still, if you put Harvick or Kyle Busch in that seat, I don't think they could win.   

JB400

Maybe with the new Mustang body, they'll get back to their winning ways.  Newman should be an accent.  Bayne never really showed his potential like he did when he was in the Wood Bros. 21.  I'm kind of surprised Stenhouse still has a ride.  He's scored a couple wins, but that was due to a gutsy crewchief

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on September 24, 2018, 01:15:16 AM
Maybe with the new Mustang body, they'll get back to their winning ways.  Newman should be an accent.  Bayne never really showed his potential like he did when he was in the Wood Bros. 21.  I'm kind of surprised Stenhouse still has a ride.  He's scored a couple wins, but that was due to a gutsy crewchief

Perhaps the biggest incentive for them to hire Newman is if he has several races with Caterpillar in his pocket.      The first criteria for these teams has now become: "Do you have any money to bring with you?"   

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on July 07, 2018, 10:21:41 AM
Maybe they can put a wing o it and it can be a Suprabird.   

It doesn't look like any kind of Supra I have ever seen. 

Lol!
But how long since the last car in Nascar looked like its showroom equivalent? :)

maxwellwedge

What was JJ thinking - Lol.
The way almost everyone slid through that restart....does make me think there may have been track issue.
Happy for Penske.

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 01, 2018, 10:00:22 AM
What was JJ thinking - Lol.
The way almost everyone slid through that restart....does make me think there may have been track issue.
Happy for Penske.

That was a very uncharacteristic move for JJ.   

The late wreck with Brad K and others had to be a track issue.      Should have been blown off.      Most of the cars looked like they had been to Talladega at the end of the race.   

JB400

The guy hadn't won all year.  Can't blame him for going for it.  Killed my roster though when he took out Truex.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Aero426 on October 01, 2018, 10:30:25 AM

That was a very uncharacteristic move for JJ.    

The late wreck with Brad K and others had to be a track issue.      Should have been blown off.      Most of the cars looked like they had been to Talladega at the end of the race.  

I don't know. K.B. said it was just old tires. He would of been the first one to bring up there was something on the track if it was that.

But I bet next year, they will either change the track layout or have added that sticky stuff in the corners, which I hate them using it because it takes the driving out of the driver. I thought the track was cool, but the race mostly was still boring to me. They hyped it up more then the race really ended up being. Hate me if you want, but I like beating and banging and door to door racing. It adds excitement. Most people do. That is why Monster trucks and demo derbys are so popular. Yes the cars cost a lot, and no one wishes to see a driver hurt. But seeing beat up race cars after a race means the race was good compared to seeing races where all the car after the race still look new.  :Twocents:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ponch ®

Quote from: JB400 on October 01, 2018, 04:19:06 PM
The guy hadn't won all year.  Can't blame him for going for it.  Killed my roster though when he took out Truex.

So is it just a down year for JJ or is he in that awkward stage of his career in which an otherwise legendary driver spends the last few years riding around the back or finishing 15th at best?

I remember when I first started following the sport (late 90's), I had no idea that Darrell Waltrip had once been a badass, because by then he was always crashing out or finishing 6 laps down in his Kmart car. Earnhardt Sr. would still win a race here and there but never really contend for the Championship.  In the mid 2000's it was the Terry Labontes and Rusty Wallaces who were previously racing on borrowed time....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

PETE

Mike DC

QuoteSo is it just a down year for JJ or is he in that awkward stage of his career in which an otherwise legendary driver spends the last few years riding around the back or finishing 15th at best?

I remember when I first started following the sport (late 90's), I had no idea that Darrell Waltrip had once been a badass, because by then he was always crashing out or finishing 6 laps down in his Kmart car. Earnhardt Sr. would still win a race here and there but never really contend for the Championship.  In the mid 2000's it was the Terry Labontes and Rusty Wallaces who were previously racing on borrowed time....

It's pretty clear that JJ is done winning championships.  He's been on a gradual decline for years.    
But JJ in his prime . .  that's setting the bar pretty high.  At 42yo he can probably still embarrass a lot of 22yo guys.  

If anyone raced for too long it was Richard Petty.  
I can't blame him for doing what he loved as long as he could.  But man, think of his image if he had retired in about 1980.

That's what we got with Dale Earnhardt Sr.  He timed his last ambulance ride pretty well.  IMO that did a lot to elevate his legendary status in the sport.  

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 02, 2018, 02:50:30 PM
QuoteSo is it just a down year for JJ or is he in that awkward stage of his career in which an otherwise legendary driver spends the last few years riding around the back or finishing 15th at best?

I remember when I first started following the sport (late 90's), I had no idea that Darrell Waltrip had once been a badass, because by then he was always crashing out or finishing 6 laps down in his Kmart car. Earnhardt Sr. would still win a race here and there but never really contend for the Championship.  In the mid 2000's it was the Terry Labontes and Rusty Wallaces who were previously racing on borrowed time....

JJ's champion days are over.  He hasn't been winning for a while and he is like 42 years old.
But JJ in his prime . .  that's setting the bar pretty high.  JJ in his 40's can probably still embarrass a lot of 22yo guys.  

If anyone raced for too long it was Richard Petty.  
I can't blame him for doing what he loved as long as he could.  But man, think of his image if he had retired in about 1980.

That's what we got with Dale Earnhardt Sr.  He timed his last ambulance ride pretty well.  IMO that did a lot to elevate his legendary status in the sport.  

Gordon also timed his retirement fairly well. Another guy who was good for 1-2 wins a season but probably wasn't going to get another Cup.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

odcics2

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 02, 2018, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: JB400 on October 01, 2018, 04:19:06 PM

So is it just a down year for JJ or is he in that awkward stage of his career in which an otherwise legendary driver spends the last few years riding around the back or finishing 15th at best?

I remember when I first started following the sport (late 90's), I had no idea that Darrell Waltrip had once been a badass, because by then he was always crashing out or finishing 6 laps down in his Kmart car. Earnhardt Sr. would still win a race here and there but never really contend for the Championship.  In the mid 2000's it was the Terry Labontes and Rusty Wallaces who were previously racing on borrowed time....

I was lucky enough to see Allison, Allison, Baker, Glotzbach, Isaac, Hamilton, Petty, Pearson, Yarbrough and Yarborough run together at the same time in aerocars.     

TruckDriver

Well, this should make a few of you guys happy  :yesnod:

NASCAR: Restrictor plates won't be used at Talladega in 2019

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/article_03b401ff-897e-56e9-b7d8-bc83483baebd.html?src=rss
PETE

odcics2

LOL, they will be using vintage Cox .049 engines.    :lol:

A383Wing

Before I leave this Earth, just once I would like to see Nascar do a race with the following "rules"

Teams could use any past or present body style that was offered
Teams could use any V8 engine that was available for the body style that they chose

I got into Nascar a bit too late to see the Aero cars run on the tracks......or I was born too late, or both

I guess I'll just keep watching the Aero cars on Youtube and other sites

But it would be interesting to see what makes & models the teams would run

Bryan

JB400

Vintage Nascar series would be great to watch.  Stick these newer drivers in them and enjoy the show.

moparstuart

Quote from: JB400 on October 03, 2018, 03:13:16 PM
Vintage Nascar series would be great to watch.  Stick these newer drivers in them and enjoy the show.
yup no Air Conditioned Suits or Power Steering , i can here them all crying now  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TruckDriver

Quote from: odcics2 on October 03, 2018, 01:27:54 PM

LOL, they will be using vintage Cox .049 engines.    :lol:
:smilielol: :lol:

Quote from: moparstuart on October 03, 2018, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: JB400 on October 03, 2018, 03:13:16 PM
Vintage Nascar series would be great to watch.  Stick these newer drivers in them and enjoy the show.
yup no Air Conditioned Suits or Power Steering , i can here them all crying now 
:yesnod:
PETE

Ponch ®

Quote from: A383Wing on October 03, 2018, 02:00:39 PM
Before I leave this Earth, just once I would like to see Nascar do a race with the following "rules"

Teams could use any past or present body style that was offered
Teams could use any V8 engine that was available for the body style that they chose

I got into Nascar a bit too late to see the Aero cars run on the tracks......or I was born too late, or both

I guess I'll just keep watching the Aero cars on Youtube and other sites

But it would be interesting to see what makes & models the teams would run

Bryan

I can see a bunch of current and/or recently retired drivers (the Busch Bros, Tony Stewart, Harvick) being up for this, but the suits probably wouldn't let them do it because of "insurance reasons".