News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

Update on Ryan Newman: a doc says his condition is "serious but not life-threatening."  Keep the fingers crossed. 

That was a damn scary wreck.  Hit the wall hard & spun around, then get overturned & T-boned in the driver's window (!), and end up with the window opening against the pavement and the car on fire.  Back in the muscle era that might have killed him 2-3 times over.     

JB400

He's very blessed to still be alive.  That was a very hard lick.  Hopefully, the next gen car will take this accident into account. 

73chgrSE

Back when Ryan Newman drove a Dodge he was on the pole about every other week. The Rocket Man!  I really hope he makes a full recovery. I remember when he was a rookie driver. Hope he can race again.

Chargen69

Quote from: JB400 on February 18, 2020, 05:55:23 AM
He's very blessed to still be alive.  That was a very hard lick.  Hopefully, the next gen car will take this accident into account. 

not sure how you could build a car to handle hitting the drivers side of the car at 190mph without transferring that energy to the driver

Mike DC

He didn't get hit in the left-side door.  He got hit in the left-side window.

Chargen69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 18, 2020, 12:28:44 PM

He didn't get hit in the left-side door.  He got hit in the left-side window.

did I say left side door?? NO I said drivers side of the car, how is that that much different than left side window??

RallyeMike

It appeared to me the hit was angled across the window opening and roof, which is why it was so scary. There are only a few bars up there compared to the door area.
I'm not sure there is a worse angle too be hit! The facts that he survived is a real testament to the safety focus of the last decade or so... and they will probably learn even more from studying the remains of the #6 car.

As with everyone, hoping he has a speedy and full recovery.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chargen69

when I said "hitting the drivers side of the car" what I was talking about is that slam up against the wall.  if you go back and watch it, more of the nose hit first, but that body slam sideways into the wall is what I don t think they can really do anything to soften the drivers on

Mike DC

Quotedid I say left side door?? NO I said drivers side of the car, how is that that much different than left side window??

You're right, I misread your comment.  Sorry.

QuoteIt appeared to me the hit was angled across the window opening and roof, which is why it was so scary. There are only a few bars up there compared to the door area.
I'm not sure there is a worse angle too be hit! The facts that he survived is a real testament to the safety focus of the last decade or so... and they will probably learn even more from studying the remains of the #6 car.

Yeah, he found a perfectly bad way to get hit.  There may not be a worse place/angle on the whole car.  

There isn't much else to do with wrecks like that, that's the problem.  IMO it wouldn't hurt to double-up some of the tubing around that area though.   Or just add raw thickness to the existing tubes.

Mike DC

Another update:  Newman is awake and talking. 

Chargen69

maybe they can add a cushion of air around the entire driver...  to go along with that automatic transmission they are kicking around

odcics2

Iron man Newman walked out of the hospital!!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

6bblgt

Aero426

RallyeMike

Whew! I'm sure many people are SO relieved.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

73chgrSE

I am amazed and very happy he is OK! :cheers:

odcics2

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on March 03, 2020, 07:36:42 AM

WTF ?????

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-center-locking-wheels-nut/4711047/

:rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

Yup.    Just another nail in the coffin for the old fans.      I'll stick to my boring steel five on five off.   

RallyeMike

Quote"One of our main goals with the Next Gen car is to provide a vehicle that better replicates what our OEM partners sell in the showroom – both in looks and relevant technology..... ," said NASCAR Senior Vice President of Racing Innovation John Probst.

I guess I'm out of touch not having bought a new car for awhile. They all come with single lug wheels now?  :lol:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

JB400

I wonder how long this will last.  I see a lot of broken wheels in wrecks compared to bent wheels, and teams will be stripping out hubs instead of lugs.  Strip a hub, and they're done.

Chargen69

leave it loose and their done too

DownZero

The end started with restrictor plates. All down hill since then.

odcics2

First plate race was in August, 1970.

DownZero

yea, but only on the 7litre engines. All the others were exempt.