News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I heard that too. I thought maybe he ate something with poppy seed on it. I cant eat that cause of random drug tests at work.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

odcics2

I can proudly say I have NEVER owned a non Mopar vehicle in my life.  Dodge in or out of Nascar doesn't change my loyalty.

Bottom line: Dodge pulled out of a sanctioning body that has declining fan base.  And those 'fans" go for the driver not the brand of car.
They don't even mention the type of car in the driver standings anymore.

That being said, BRAD - go kick some butt 'till years end!!!!!!!!!!     
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mytur Binsdirti

Personally, I don't see the point of NASCAR race cars at all today. Other than one or two styling cues, stick on headlights and brand name decals, they all look the same. Today's stock cars bear absolutely zero resemblance to anything you can buy off the showroom floor. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, what's it matter; peel off the decals, put another brand name on, slap in a different brand X engine (that doesn't come in a street car) it & viola, you have a new brand of car.

wingcar

I found it interesting to see the headline on one of the stories from yesterday stating that basically Penske moving to Ford pushed Dodge out of NASCAR.  Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chrysler/Fait only offer Penske a three year deal when he wanted a five year contract?   So for the difference of two years Penske decided to move on to Ford.  Penske a business man, and will do what's best for Penske, so the Ford deal must have been a good one.  Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds as if Dodge may have been planning to get out of NASCAR within a few years anyway.  Come on... to lose your flagship team over a two year difference....something doesn't sound right.   Dodge (SRT Group) said that they couldn't find a top level team that would switch to Dodge products....the only real option it appears would have been Petty, and just think of all the hoopla that would have created in the media...."Petty back with Dodge".   If Dodge was hoping for Childress, Hendrick, Gibbs, or Earnhardt/Ganassi to switch manufacturers...then they were just dreaming...........
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 08, 2012, 08:44:53 AM
Personally, I don't see the point of NASCAR race cars at all today. Other than one or two styling cues, stick on headlights and brand name decals, they all look the same. Today's stock cars bear absolutely zero resemblance to anything you can buy off the showroom floor. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, what's it matter; peel off the decals, put another brand name on, slap in a different brand X engine (that doesn't come in a street car) it & viola, you have a new brand of car.

2013 was to be different.   The new Charger was a much more exciting race car.   

Ponch ®

Quote from: Aero426 on August 08, 2012, 09:08:58 AM

2013 was to be different.   The new Charger was a much more exciting race car.  

yep, thats the sad thing...NASCAR is finally moving away from the "spec" car (at least with the bodies) and the cars are going to look more like their road going counterparts.

The 2013 NASCAR Charger could have been a dog in actual competition for all we know, but it sure as hell does look good. Maybe 20-30 years from now, when Jalopnik does one of their articles of "Coolest race cars that never raced", this will be one of them. Or itll join the 3rd Gen winged cars in the "what could have been" file.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerboy69

Quote from: odcics2 on August 08, 2012, 04:47:46 AM
I can proudly say I have NEVER owned a non Mopar vehicle in my life.  Dodge in or out of Nascar doesn't change my loyalty.

I have never really understood people who do this.  And it is not just Dodge people, just as many GM and Ford guys are the same way.

There are way to many nice cars out there by other manufactures not to at least consider something else.  I know at least for me, there is really nothing Mopar has made after 1972 I am interested in.  I have had Daytonas, minivans, even a Conquest and they were all junk.  Sure the new Rams are nice, but I rather have a F-350.  Sure the new Challengers are nice, but I rather have a Mustang.  My daily driver is a Yukon, by far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Now to be fair, I have had a string of Jeeps, starting with AMC and have liked all of them, even my 88 Grand Wagoneer. AMC started a great thing, and luckily Chrysler did not mess with the Jeep line too much.

Not saying your opinion is wrong, just different.  ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Danny Gutierrez

As a brand loyal type of guy, I am very saddened by this news. It may sound silly to some but I can honestly say that I will no longer view or attend any nascar events. For someone like me, cheering on the Mopar cars and teams at NHRA, nascar, and any local dirt track or drag strip is an integral part of my being. With no-one to cheer for I no longer have a reason to watch.  :'(
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

Indygenerallee

QuoteI have never really understood people who do this.  And it is not just Dodge people, just as many GM and Ford guys are the same way.
I used to be like that but I have owned a few Fords since then (mainly Mustangs) although I really have never had much luck with Chevy's I don't mind Pontiacs so not all GM's are bad  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

wingcar

The King is one of the reasons I became a Mopar person......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

TruckDriver

Quote from: wingcar on August 08, 2012, 05:22:04 PM

I still is to be honest. And he still is my idol.  :yesnod:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Budnicks

Quote from: TruckDriver on August 08, 2012, 06:04:38 PM
Quote from: wingcar on August 08, 2012, 05:22:04 PM

I still is to be honest. And he still is my idol.  :yesnod:
I'm sure he brought in many of our generation, name & brand recognition/loyalty, He's "the KING" 200 driver wins & 7 championships after all, I personally like many brands, 3 of which, of the many, are all gone now, Plymouth, Olds & Pontiac... I love all things mechanical, cars, motorcycles, boats, Rv's, Trucks, 4x4's & Jeeps/Heeps, Motor-homes, Quads, not just Mopars, but Mopars are my 1st love & will always be....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

moparstuart

I like all the brands too  I am First and Foremost a PLYMOUTH Fan  , But i tolerate Dodges . Chryslers. Jeeps, Imperials and desotos.   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  MOPAR OR NO CAR  

And i still dont recognize RAM as it own brand they are Dodge Trucks  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

thedodgeboys

Quote from: moparstuart on August 08, 2012, 08:39:24 PM
I like all the brands too  I am First and Foremost a PLYMOUTH Fan  , But i tolerate Dodges . Chryslers. Jeeps, Imperials and desotos.   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  MOPAR OR NO CAR  

Amen ...
Give me an AMEN Mopar Brother  :angel:

TruckDriver

Same for me. I like a little of every make, including a few imports. And I agree, RAM = Dodge
PETE

Aero426

Quote from: TruckDriver on August 09, 2012, 05:08:14 AM
And I agree, RAM = Dodge

I have yet to meet someone who "gets" the RAM name as a manufacturer.   

Ghoste

Except to the new owners over in Fiat headquarters where it seems to make perfect sense.  The same sort of stuff went on under Daimler, they just do not understand this part of the world and rather than try to they would prefer to keep reinventing the wheel.

Budnicks

And i still don't recognize RAM as it own brand they are Dodge Trucks  
:2thumbs: Plymouth 1st  :shruggy:  Another Amen to that fellow Mopar Brotheren...  :cheers:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

aussiemuscle

this seems to be a major complaint from a LOT of people, we have the same problem in australia with V8supercars, yet those same people don't seem to support those classes that do have factory race cars.

odcics2

MoPar or NO CAR says it all!!         

What irks me is seeing a WW2 war veteran driving a Toyota. He was willing to die for his country, but now is killing it by sending his $$$ overseas.
Now that, I don't get at all... 

472 R/T SE

Quote from: odcics2 on August 09, 2012, 08:14:26 PM

What irks me is seeing a WW2 war veteran driving a Toyota. He was willing to die for his country, but now is killing it by sending his $$$ overseas.

Yeah, my uncles were all in the service & were over seas so they drilled it in my head growing up.  That's prolly why I'm like that now.  Also helps that my Mom's been in the car business since the '70's & has been a comptroller @ a Mopar dealer in Texas the past 2 decades.  She's about to retire so if we're gonna buy a rig we need to hurry.

odcics2

For those of you wishing Petty got back with Dodge, well, hate to say, but Richard wanted to stay with Ford!
Quote from the race results today on Nacsar.com:

"Petty and Ambrose were two inside the organization who wanted to stay with Ford, even before Sunday's old-school win. Murstein wasn't so sure.

"There's money and then there's the love of this sport," Murstein said. "That's why I think Richard and I are a good pair. I try to keep an eye on the checkbook, and Richard just reminds me what this sport is all about, and where it came from, and what the fans mean to it. And Richard really wanted to stay with Ford all along. He felt comfortable with them and he thought we were showing improvements along the way with them.

"We were going back and forth for a while. And every time I would say, 'Yeah, but look at the money that's coming from Dodge,' he would come back and say, 'But look at the relationship we've built with Ford. Sometimes the people you know are better than the people you don't know.' I don't know which way it would have gone. Just like this race, it probably would have gone down to the wire."

Ponch ®

Quote from: odcics2 on August 09, 2012, 08:14:26 PM

this stuff again? please...

Buy a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, and youre sending your money to Canada and Mexico.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Ponch ®

so I take it youre not a big fan of the SRT Viper?

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 13, 2012, 11:55:08 AM
I like all the brands too  I am First and Foremost a PLYMOUTH Fan  , But i tolerate Dodges . Chryslers. Jeeps, Imperials and desotos.   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  MOPAR OR NO CAR  

so I take it youre not a big fan of the SRT Viper?
I love the Dodge Viper SRT    :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE