News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: A383Wing on April 27, 2013, 10:39:35 PM
I was rooting for anyone but Montoya....did ya notice who sponsored the 42 car? "Depends"..cause that driver is full of crap!

Yea for Harvick...looks like he was shot out of a cannon the last laps

Bryan

NOS will do that!   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Highbanked Hauler

You know, I went to Rockingham for  the Sat. race which was the UARA late models and the Frank Kimmel street stocks and that was better racing than you see on TV. These are the guys that don't have million dollar sponsors supporting them and less powerful engines  but the racing was top notch.  Last year NASCAR was  supporting local tracks and the way the cup series has gotten so anal its great to watch (real racing) for a change. :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

JB400

Local tracks do put on better racing for the most part.  There are exceptions, but overall, a lot better experiences :2thumbs:

JB400

Penske penalties still stand.  Penske said he'll appeal to the other panel.  Might not look good for Gibbs.

On another note, testing at Indy seen cars going 214 mph.

Highbanked Hauler

It has turned into a damned spec series :'(
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RTDaddy

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 01, 2013, 05:44:09 PM
  It has turned into a damned spec series :'(

I think NASCAR better look back at what happened to IROC.
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

JB400

Can we go back to the 1969 rulebook?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 02, 2013, 12:03:12 AM
Can we go back to the 1969 rulebook?
That would be a start !!!
   My argument has been for a long time go to a V6 engine and let teams run whatever tire they want to. That way you don't need a restrictor plate and You don't need 800 hp  for  good racing.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

I kind of like the 1969 rule book idea, with current safety equipment std.'s.... How about let teams run "any tire manufacturer that they choose", just make a limit on sizes std. safety stuff... Goodyear has long had the monopoly on most auto racing in North America, how about let, Firestone, Hoosier, Avon, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. get into the mix  :shruggy: ... Like many other racing sanctioning bodies do  :brickwall: ... I'm sure the NASCAR drivers, would love the variety & choices in tires...  I would also like to see the restrictor plates go away too, just mandate a lower final gear ratio, that would limit the high speeds, they are worried about & still give the drivers back some throttle control again....  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Aero426

Quote from: Budnicks on May 02, 2013, 01:41:09 PM
I kind of like the 1969 rule book idea, with current safety equipment std.'s.... How about let teams run "any tire manufacturer that they choose", just make a limit on sizes std. safety stuff... Goodyear has long had the monopoly on most auto racing in North America, how about let, Firestone, Hoosier, Avon, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. get into the mix  :shruggy: ... Like many other racing sanctioning bodies do  :brickwall: ... I'm sure the NASCAR drivers, would love the variety & choices in tires...  I would also like to see the restrictor plates go away too, just mandate a lower final gear ratio, that would limit the high speeds, they are worried about & still give the drivers back some throttle control again....  :Twocents:

The last tire war between Goodyear and Hoosier in the late 80's sacrificed safety for speed.  It put drivers in the wall and hospital. 

Ponch ®

Quote from: Aero426 on May 02, 2013, 03:43:01 PM
I kind of like the 1969 rule book idea, with current safety equipment std.'s.... How about let teams run "any tire manufacturer that they choose", just make a limit on sizes std. safety stuff... Goodyear has long had the monopoly on most auto racing in North America, how about let, Firestone, Hoosier, Avon, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. get into the mix  :shruggy: ... Like many other racing sanctioning bodies do  :brickwall: ... I'm sure the NASCAR drivers, would love the variety & choices in tires...  I would also like to see the restrictor plates go away too, just mandate a lower final gear ratio, that would limit the high speeds, they are worried about & still give the drivers back some throttle control again....  :Twocents:

The last tire war between Goodyear and Hoosier in the late 80's sacrificed safety for speed.  It put drivers in the wall and hospital.  

:yesnod:

Yep...ask Neil Bonnett. different tire manufacturers in an oval series = not good.

I guess they could have some sort of baseline limits for a "safe tire" (softness, etc), but eventually the manufactures would find ways to push the envelope and find ways (intentionally or not) to get past those limits without technically breaking the rulebook. And that wouldnt be good.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Highbanked Hauler

I kind of like the 1969 rule book idea, with current safety equipment std.'s.... How about let teams run "any tire manufacturer that they choose", just make a limit on sizes std. safety stuff... Goodyear has long had the monopoly on most auto racing in North America, how about let, Firestone, Hoosier, Avon, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. get into the mix  :shruggy: ... Like many other racing sanctioning bodies do  :brickwall: ... I'm sure the NASCAR drivers, would love the variety & choices in tires...  I would also like to see the restrictor plates go away too, just mandate a lower final gear ratio, that would limit the high speeds, they are worried about & still give the drivers back some throttle control again....  :Twocents:

The last tire war between Goodyear and Hoosier in the late 80's sacrificed safety for speed.  It put drivers in the wall and hospital.  

I would hope tires have gotten better since the 80S though. 
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Tire choices sound good on paper.   

Other series:
Indy Car -  one tire company
Grand-Am-  one tire company
ALMS - multiple tire companies, but you have to have Michelin if you want to win. 

Highbanked Hauler

Aren't Good Years  like $2000. a set now ?  That has to be a nasty tire bill for a race.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TruckDriver

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 02, 2013, 07:37:12 PM
  Aren't Good Years  like $2000. a set now ?  That has to be a nasty tire bill for a race.

Try over $200 a tire.  :P

Hamlin cleared, will race at Talladega

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hamlin-says-ll-start-race-talladega-163000492.html
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Budnicks

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 02, 2013, 06:32:21 PM

I would hope tires have gotten better since the 80S though.  
Exactly... With todays safety std.'s & I would think they could make spec rule tire, like they do with everything else on a NASCAR ride....

Budnicks

Quote from: Aero426 on May 02, 2013, 07:11:04 PM

Other series:
Indy Car -  one tire company
Grand-Am-  one tire company
ALMS - multiple tire companies, but you have to have Michelin if you want to win.  
You forgot NHRA professional categories all have to run Good Year also  :brickwall:
That spells Good Year has a Race Tire total monopoly to me... you hear the racers bit-h about the lack of grip or crappy Good Year tires all the time, until NASCAR shuts them down, because Good Year has the contract & you can't talk chit about any NASCAR contract, official, media personnel or their supplier, under the current NASCAR rules or your in for a big $$ fine, points grab/penalty or set out a few races, they have the gags on the guys.... unless you Hendricks of course...

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: TruckDriver on May 02, 2013, 09:23:07 PM
  Aren't Good Years  like $2000. a set now ?  That has to be a nasty tire bill for a race.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard it is up to $500. a tire now ?  :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

JB400

Quote from: Budnicks on May 03, 2013, 03:31:57 PM

Other series:

That spells Good Year has a Race Tire total monopoly to me... you hear the racers bit-h about the lack of grip or crappy Good Year tires all the time, until NASCAR shuts them down, because Good Year has the contract & you can't talk chit about any NASCAR contract, official, media personnel or their supplier, under the current NASCAR rules or your in for a big $$ fine, points grab/penalty or set out a few races, they have the gags on the guys.... unless you Hendricks of course...
Or Stewart.  It seems like the only drivers that have to keep their mouths shut is the Busch Bros.  All others  know better

Budnicks

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 03, 2013, 03:41:10 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on May 03, 2013, 03:31:57 PM

Other series:

Or Stewart.  It seems like the only drivers that have to keep their mouths shut is the Busch Bros.  All others  know better
:hah: yeah...LOL...

Budnicks

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 03, 2013, 03:40:50 PM
Quote from: TruckDriver on May 02, 2013, 09:23:07 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard it is up to $500. a tire now ?  :shruggy:
I think it depends on what tire program your on or have to be on, with Good Year... I've heard $$ #'s all over the map, from near free to $500+ each also, but depending on who's talking & what team it is... "I don't know for a fact either way thou" & probably won't ever know the true/real $$'s either...

TruckDriver

The cup cars were running around 214 in practice today  :P
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Quote from: TruckDriver on May 03, 2013, 05:26:16 PM
The cup cars were running around 214 in practice today  :P
Are you sure?  I was watching.  The cars were only hitting 199 mph in single car runs.  Was that in the draft? They were hitting 214 in Indy earlier this week during a tire test.

TruckDriver

Maybe that's what I heard. I know they were talking about Jeff Gorden was one of the guys that hit that speed.
PETE

A383Wing

his mouth goes that fast and nothing good comes out of it

Bryan