News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Glad to see Newman win it, but glad to see JJ crew screw up at the last pitstop.  Maybe, he should switch crews with Gordon again.

FJ5WING

I stumbled across the race on Sunday and was shocked at the amount of empty seats. I was at the first brickyard cup race and the place was packed and jumping!
wingless now, but still around.

chargerboy69

Quote from: FJ5WING on July 29, 2013, 08:37:29 AM
I stumbled across the race on Sunday and was shocked at the amount of empty seats. I was at the first brickyard cup race and the place was packed and jumping!

I was also surprised by the empty stands, turn 2 and 4 looked 80 percent empty.  Even the front stretch looked roughly 70 percent full. It was not like the weather was a factor, sunny and 75 out.

NASCAR as a whole seems way down.  Heck, Michigan torn down huge sections of stands so attendance did not look so bad on TV.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

I wish I posted that article on the tracks considering tearing down seats to make the stands look fuller. I think Bristol was one of them.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

thedodgeboys

First congrats Newman  :cheers: nice win. It made a boring race better.

I also went to the brick yard the first year, won't go back, not enuf action and visibility sucks.

I bet race morning traffic is better with attendance down  :slap: Indy is about the event and the history not the on track action. Sadly

The cars are to aero dependent probably no cure ether now it's all about pit road and strategy. 

thedodgeboys

Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 29, 2013, 09:48:09 AM

I was also surprised by the empty stands, turn 2 and 4 looked 80 percent empty.  Even the front stretch looked roughly 70 percent full. It was not like the weather was a factor, sunny and 75 out.

NASCAR as a whole seems way down.  Heck, Michigan torn down huge sections of stands so attendance did not look so bad on TV.

And ESPN is bailing on na$car because of the decline, it's not as profitable as it once was.

ESPN & TNT decided not to renew with NASCAR: According to a Sports Business Daily report, ESPN and Turner ditched NASCAR  not the other way around. ESPN and Turner Sports each informed NASCAR in early July that they did not intend to bid on the available television rights packages, Sports Business Journal reported Monday. The rationale was similar for both organizations  declining television ratings made NASCAR a less attractive property. Turner, according to the report, "ultimately decided that more NASCAR races weren't worth the investment." ESPN, meanwhile, "had soured on the sport because of declining TV ratings, an aging fan base and a tough ad sales market." The report casts a somewhat negative light on both NASCAR  apparently abandoned by two high-profile broadcast partners  and NBC Sports, which will pay $440 million per year for rights through 2024.(Sports Media Watch)(7-30-2013)

Budnicks

Quote from: thedodgeboys on July 31, 2013, 05:20:46 AM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on July 29, 2013, 09:48:09 AM

I was also surprised by the empty stands, turn 2 and 4 looked 80 percent empty.  Even the front stretch looked roughly 70 percent full. It was not like the weather was a factor, sunny and 75 out.

NASCAR as a whole seems way down.  Heck, Michigan torn down huge sections of stands so attendance did not look so bad on TV.

And ESPN is bailing on na$car because of the decline, it's not as profitable as it once was.

ESPN & TNT decided not to renew with NASCAR: According to a Sports Business Daily report, ESPN and Turner ditched NASCAR  not the other way around. ESPN and Turner Sports each informed NASCAR in early July that they did not intend to bid on the available television rights packages, Sports Business Journal reported Monday. The rationale was similar for both organizations  declining television ratings made NASCAR a less attractive property. Turner, according to the report, "ultimately decided that more NASCAR races weren't worth the investment." ESPN, meanwhile, "had soured on the sport because of declining TV ratings, an aging fan base and a tough ad sales market." The report casts a somewhat negative light on both NASCAR  apparently abandoned by two high-profile broadcast partners  and NBC Sports, which will pay $440 million per year for rights through 2024.(Sports Media Watch)(7-30-2013)

wow all of them bailing, thanks for the info... I wonder if that new sports network/station Fox Sports 1 that will be staring in mid Aug. will pick up some of the slack
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

A383Wing

TNT's coverage sucked....NBC ain't gonna be that much better, I have seen NBC's coverage in the past

TPR

Quote from: A383Wing on July 31, 2013, 05:24:56 PM
TNT's coverage sucked....NBC ain't gonna be that much better, I have seen NBC's coverage in the past

X2
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Chargen69

nobody can screw something worse than TNT

oh, there are still plenty of people waiting for coverage to get back on free tv, my dad is one of them!

A383Wing

Quote from: Chargen69 on July 31, 2013, 07:11:20 PM
nobody can screw something worse than TNT

you watch NBC and you will see that there is someone worse...NBC used to cover the races...and I think TNT & NBC are sister companies.... I like FOX's coverage, but the "Mouth of the South" Waltrip needs to go away...both of them, actually

TruckDriver

I don't know guys, I like TNT's coverage the best.  :shruggy:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

thedodgeboys

I think part of na$cars problem is too much coverage that's useless, track side use to be entertaining and informative now it's a game show wannabe. I miss the old speed channel before fox took over, now with the relaunch if they raise the price I may drop it. Qualifying isn't that exciting at most of the tracks anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is to much of a good thing isn't always good.

My understanding is only a few of the NBC races will be on NBC the rest will be on their sports channel.
I didn't even know they had a sports channel...

Aero426

Quote from: thedodgeboys on August 01, 2013, 06:21:48 AM
I think part of na$cars problem is too much coverage that's useless, track side use to be entertaining and informative now it's a game show wannabe. I miss the old speed channel before fox took over, now with the relaunch if they raise the price I may drop it. Qualifying isn't that exciting at most of the tracks anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is to much of a good thing isn't always good.

My understanding is only a few of the NBC races will be on NBC the rest will be on their sports channel.
I didn't even know they had a sports channel...

The NBC sports channel is what used to be called Versus.  

If Fox picks up more races, they may decide to put some of them on Fox Sports One which leverages you the cable subscriber to decide whether you want to pay for the channel.     

TONY

any news if RCR Childress is considering a switch to Dodge since they appear to be 3rd in the chevy camp?

Aero426

Quote from: TONY on August 01, 2013, 11:46:50 AM
any news if RCR Childress is considering a switch to Dodge since they appear to be 3rd in the chevy camp?

RCR going to Dodge for 2014 is a pipe dream.   The money from Dodge would have to be right.   I mean, REALLY right.   Dodge isn't making any noise about coming back.    Notgonnahappen.com

TONY

oh well, it was something to keep my hopes up

Aero426

Quote from: TONY on August 01, 2013, 11:52:09 AM
oh well, it was something to keep my hopes up

Would be nice.   The '13 Dodge was the best looking car out there.     

I really think they are gone for good.    They are doing fine without NASCAR.    They don't need it.   Running in NASCAR does not seem to fit the image of what SRT is trying to do. 

Budnicks

kind of on a "somewhat" relate note, I was watching the Sonoma NHRA Race on ESPN2, there was a report that Ford is bailing on NHRA sponsorships too after 2013, it's going to leave a big void, just like when Dodge pulled out of NASCAR... The old "Win on Sunday & sell on Monday", marketing & thinking doesn't, or isn't working in Professional racing any longer, according to the Big 3 {4} marketing dept.'s...

JB400

That's only because the cars don't relate to what is on the showroom floor.  Put the stock back in stock cars, and marketing will be up.

Budnicks

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 02, 2013, 11:29:38 AM
That's only because the cars don't relate to what is on the showroom floor.  Put the stock back in stock cars, and marketing will be up.
:2thumbs: agreed

JB400

Kyle Busch called Johnson out on fudging the rules a little bit when it came to qualifying.  Johnson was slow getting out of inspection before qualifying.  Afterwards, they pushed the car out to pit lane later than they should have causing Johnson to go out 4 spots from what he should have.  Guess who got the pole :brickwall: Did Johnsons' crew do it on purpose :scratchchin:

On another note, Stenhouse promised his crew dinner everytime he hits the wall. How many times has that happened this year? :slap:

JB400

Well, Montoya wrecked 2 other guys on the first lap.  This is going to be a long race. :P

Impressive pass by Gordon made by Kayne for the win :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:  That pretty much locks him into the Chase

Aero426

Budnicks

Casey Kahne won ?? Hopefully... at-least it wasn't JJ or JG... I didn't get to see any of the race... oh well