News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

Thought this was interesting. It only went through 2008 though, but it shows who the Champ was/would be under the old points and the Chase from 1975-2008.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/NASCAR-Racing-2068/2009/1/championship-old-points-method.htm
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

JB400

Looks like Gordon would have been Hendricks' 6 time champ instead of JJ and Edwards would have been a Champion as well.  They should sue.

wingcar

I have to admit to being a bit of a hypocrite as more than once I have found myself hoping that Jimmie Johnson would have a tire go down or crash out so he will not win a race.   I was hoping that Matt would take the championship, but the team’s performance at Phoenix pretty much ended that chance.  I like many others have at times tired of seeing him seemingly win every race he enters (I know he doesn’t, but it seems that way at times).    But, on the other hand my all time favorite driver is and always will be Richard Petty.  The “King” once dominated the race track with one win after another (that sounds familiar doesn’t it), just as Jimmie does today.   In fact there was a time when if Petty showed up at the track, the talk became not who was going to win, but who would finish second.   Back then I am sure that there where fans sitting in the stands that held signs saying “Anyone but Petty”, just as some fans do today regarding Jimmie.   And, what about Dale Earnhardt Sr. and his run with one win after another, or Jeff Gordon for that matter.  All were winners and dominators in their time….so who was/is the best driver ever….who can really say as each did their driving in a different time with different equipment and rules.  And, does it really matter?  Even if Jimmie wins more championships than Richard or Dale…The “King” will always be the “King” and the “Intimidator” will always be the “Intimidator”….Jimmie can never take that away no matter how many wins and championships he may win in the future.   Petty shaped NASCAR in many ways, and both Dale and Jeff brought it into the mainstream.   So each did their part to make NASCAR the huge sport it is today.   And, each was the best…in their time. 
I guess rather than wasting my time on worthless arguments about who is best, I will just learn to enjoy watching a driver that is having his turn at dominating.   It will not last forever, it never does…just ask Richard, [Dale] or Jeff…..

(Just my two cents:  I now return the soapbox to the next individual with an opinion…. :popcrn:)   
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

I Agree.

Each of them was/is the best in their day.    It is hard to compare them to each other.    What Johnson and his team has done in the modern era is remarkable.     

400/6/PAC

Just catching up on the thread.
I've been down with the flu since Friday,  :eek2: :eek2:

JB400

Glad to see you're feeling better :2thumbs:

Kurt's ride for next year

Budnicks

Quote from: General_01 on November 19, 2013, 09:40:02 PM
Thought this was interesting. It only went through 2008 though, but it shows who the Champ was/would be under the old points and the Chase from 1975-2008.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/NASCAR-Racing-2068/2009/1/championship-old-points-method.htm
That's interesting, thanks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

Quote from: wingcar on November 20, 2013, 08:57:57 AM
I have to admit to being a bit of a hypocrite as more than once I have found myself hoping that Jimmie Johnson would have a tire go down or crash out so he will not win a race.   I was hoping that Matt would take the championship, but the team's performance at Phoenix pretty much ended that chance.  I like many others have at times tired of seeing him seemingly win every race he enters (I know he doesn't, but it seems that way at times).    But, on the other hand my all time favorite driver is and always will be Richard Petty.  The "King" once dominated the race track with one win after another (that sounds familiar doesn't it), just as Jimmie does today.   In fact there was a time when if Petty showed up at the track, the talk became not who was going to win, but who would finish second.   Back then I am sure that there where fans sitting in the stands that held signs saying "Anyone but Petty", just as some fans do today regarding Jimmie.   And, what about Dale Earnhardt Sr. and his run with one win after another, or Jeff Gordon for that matter.  All were winners and dominators in their time....so who was/is the best driver ever....who can really say as each did their driving in a different time with different equipment and rules.  And, does it really matter?  Even if Jimmie wins more championships than Richard or Dale...The "King" will always be the "King" and the "Intimidator" will always be the "Intimidator"....Jimmie can never take that away no matter how many wins and championships he may win in the future.   Petty shaped NASCAR in many ways, and both Dale and Jeff brought it into the mainstream.   So each did their part to make NASCAR the huge sport it is today.   And, each was the best...in their time.  
I guess rather than wasting my time on worthless arguments about who is best, I will just learn to enjoy watching a driver that is having his turn at dominating.   It will not last forever, it never does...just ask Richard, [Dale] or Jeff.....

(Just my two cents:  I now return the soapbox to the next individual with an opinion.... :popcrn:)  
:2thumbs: very well said  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

JB400

North Wilkesboro put on some decent racing as well.  But, I don't think it's a good idea of Nascar buying tracks.  They could start monopolizing the schedule with their tracks.

dyslexic teddybear

Aero426

The deal with NASCAR buying the track, versus ISC on the surface is strange.   There has be to a reason and some reading between the lines is necessary.

The track has some debt issues.   NASCAR buying it may allow them to lean on creditors to negotiate and discount debts to be repaid.   "Take our deal, or we will walk, and  ISC won't come near."  Once the debts are cleaned up, they then sell the track to ISC.   Because NASCAR is privately held, they won't have to reveal any of the details.  

Aero426

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 28, 2013, 02:40:28 PM
   They should get Rockingham going again. :'(

From what I read, the track could not pay the sanctioning fees to host the NASCAR modified races they had scheduled for a few months ago.   This is a shame as Andy Hillenburg has put so much effort and money to get the place running again.   I think the truck series race they had in 2012 was successful.    I heard attendance was down this past April.   

TruckDriver

MWR hires Jeff Burton as test driver for 2014

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mwr-hires-jeff-burton-test-225719705--nascar.html

"Michael Waltrip Racing has hired Jeff Burton as a test driver, with the possibility of running a partial Sprint Cup schedule in 2014.

The team will field the No. 66 Toyota for Burton at Las Vegas in March. Additional races for Burton could be scheduled at a later date."

Apparently no one wants him anymore  :-\
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

I like Jeff....he deserves a ride in my opinion...

I really liked listening to his brother Ward talk on TV, he had that southern drawl

thedodgeboys

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 02, 2013, 06:50:04 PM
MWR hires Jeff Burton as test driver for 2014

Apparently no one wants him anymore  :-\

Sometime your career is over before you are, its tough for lots of good drivers look at Hornish 2nd in points and no ride next year. 

I hear he will be part of the new tv deal in 15.

JB400

I don't think it was the idea of no one wants Jeff, it's a matter of what rides are open.  You have Dillon and Larson coming into the Cup. Montoya left. Truex lost his ride and has moved over to Furniture Row.  Newman left S/H and moved into Jeff's ride.  Busch and Harvick moved to S/H.  Allmendinger has taken over Bobby Labonte's ride.  There is literally no where for Jeff or Bobby to go except either a part time ride or drop down into Nationwide or the Truck series.  Nothing wrong with dropping down though.  Several drivers have found success by dropping out of the Cup.  Look at Skinner and Johnny Benson.

wingcar

With all the talk about NBC and 2015...does this mean Fox will no longer be televising NASCAR races after 2014?

JB400

Fox will still cover the same races they already do.

A383Wing

I hope DW or Rusty is gone....

wingcar

I am really surprised that no one has brought up the subject of the number three returning to the track with Austin Dillon.  It has been the subject of "heated" debate on the satellite NASCAR radio channel.  Many feel that no one should ever drive a number three car again, while others have no issues with it.  I have to admit that at first I kind of felt that no one else should have driven the number 43 when Richard retired.  But that feeling quickly passed as the number on door really doesn't matter as much as the driver behind the wheel.  Yes, the 43 will always be Richard Petty's number just as the number three will always be associated with Dale Earnhardt.  I think I might have had a bit of an issue if the Dillon car was going to be a black Goodwrench car, but I understand that it will be sponsored by Cheerios, and not be black....so what difference does it really make.   Others drove a car with the number three for many years before Dale, just as other's drove a number 43 before Richard.  Like it has been said, even Dale wouldn't have wanted the number to just go away, and he stated as such before he died.  And the fact that it will be carried by Richard "C's" Grandson makes it kind of special.  It will also place a lot of pressure on Austin to perform.  Just think of the emotion the first time the number three returns to the winner's circle.....it will be a big day for sure....

(One more thing to keep in mind, many of the new NASCAR fans never saw Dale race....having the three back on the track will hopefully help keep his history alive..)