News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

NASCAR makes midseason rule change, abolishes Overtime Line immediately

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-makes-midseason-rule-change-abolishes-overtime-line-immediately-213822138.html?src=rss

NASCAR decided it couldn't wait until 2018 to get rid of the Overtime Line.

The sanctioning body said Wednesday afternoon that as of Sunday's race at Watkins Glen, the Overtime Line was gone.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

thedodgeboys

Quote from: TruckDriver on August 02, 2017, 07:04:45 PM
NASCAR makes midseason rule change, abolishes Overtime Line immediately

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-makes-midseason-rule-change-abolishes-overtime-line-immediately-213822138.html?src=rss

NASCAR decided it couldn't wait until 2018 to get rid of the Overtime Line.

The sanctioning body said Wednesday afternoon that as of Sunday's race at Watkins Glen, the Overtime Line was gone.

Its not really gone its just back to the Start\finish line where it belongs... In an event that goes past the advertised distance, drivers must reach the Overtime Line (now consistently the start/finish line) under green-flag conditions following the restart. If the leader does that, the next flag will end the race. If the leader does not reach the Overtime Line under green, that will force another restart.

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/02/nascar-overtime-line-start-finish-line/

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Hope Kayne gets a good ride for next year.

In other news, Chevrolet is racing the Camaro next year in the Monster Energy series:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/11/chevrolet-camaro-to-join-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series-in-2018.html

No more sedan.  Hope Ford will do the same thing, and make Toyota put out something cool in the future.

TruckDriver

Quote from: JB400 on August 12, 2017, 09:58:04 PM
Hope Kayne gets a good ride for next year.

In other news, Chevrolet is racing the Camaro next year in the Monster Energy series:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/11/chevrolet-camaro-to-join-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series-in-2018.html

No more sedan.  Hope Ford will do the same thing, and make Toyota put out something cool in the future.

I forgot to post this, but yes I agree with you. But IF my memory serves me right, this was the plan to eventually have the Camaro and Mustang's in the cup series.
PETE

JB400

Personally, I'd think you'd want to have your performance flag ship front and center as much as possible.  Nothing but Corvettes and Camaro's have run in the sports car series.  Only the Aussies and Europeans would run sedans. :nana:

wingcar

To bad Dodge is no longer running NASCAR.....would love to see the Challenger doing battle with them (again)........
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Stevearino

I will be putting these bodies on in the near future. Little known fact. The green house on these cars, that is the portion of the car representing the windshield, roof back glass , side windows, the A,B and C pillars, essentially everything above the door ledge where you would rest your arm is the shape of the 2013 Dodge Charger. I worked on the submission car for the current GM car back then and Nascar did not want Dodge to leave the sport so their car was based primarily on their street car. In order to make all the OEM's aerodynamically match they had to use the same shape greenhouse and decklid. Only the nose ,hood ,tail piece and the side sheet metal reflect the body lines of the other manufacturers. The base line car was and still is the 2013 Dodge Charger. In fact before the Chevrolet stock car sheet metal was available I had to use a stock Dodge Charger roof skin to start the build. Weird Huh?

RallyeMike

Quotewould love to see the Challenger doing battle with them (again)........

(challenger) Again?

I'll settle for Dodge in Nascar (again) though....
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

I read an article as well that states they are going to use bolt together body panels in the Xfinity series in a few races to minimize cost.

Stevearino

Quote from: JB400 on August 14, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
I read an article as well that states they are going to use bolt together body panels in the Xfinity series in a few races to minimize cost.

Minimize cost. That is hilarious. Every time they make a "Cost Cutting Measure" it costs more. The sides of the cars used to be made out of .023 mild sheet metal (steel) and were hand fabricated.  Presently they are stamped pieces from venders used by the manufacturers that need to be hand fitted. The cost of materials for a side went from about $30.00 a sheet to $700 to $1000 per side with that cost cutting move. A complete set of templates in 2005 would cost about $3000. The present grid cost around $30,000.00 I don't know what the flange fit bodies cost because I work in the Cup series but they are made of kevlar and presently the nose and the tail of our cars are made of this. They cost roughly $1500 together.  More like cost transfer from fabricators in the sport to high end series approved vendors.  ;)

cdr

Quote from: Stevearino on August 15, 2017, 05:03:30 AM

Minimize cost. That is hilarious. Every time they make a "Cost Cutting Measure" it costs more. The sides of the cars used to be made out of .023 mild sheet metal (steel) and were hand fabricated.  Presently they are stamped pieces from venders used by the manufacturers that need to be hand fitted. The cost of materials for a side went from about $30.00 a sheet to $700 to $1000 per side with that cost cutting move. A complete set of templates in 2005 would cost about $3000. The present grid cost around $30,000.00 I don't know what the flange fit bodies cost because I work in the Cup series but they are made of kevlar and presently the nose and the tail of our cars are made of this. They cost roughly $1500 together.  More like cost transfer from fabricators in the sport to high end series approved vendors.  ;)

Thanks Steve, for sharing !!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on August 16, 2017, 04:46:06 PM
Still just a rumor:   http://fcauthority.com/2017/08/it-turns-out-a-return-to-nascar-may-still-be-in-the-cards-for-dodge/

If people keep on talking, it might just happen.

There are so many obstacles to them coming back, I just don't see it happening.     

So even if FCA would spend the massive amount of money required, (while The Great Sergio tries to find a buyer for the company)  who would the possible first tier teams be that have the infrastructure to handle a start-up operation for 2019 or 2020,  build their own chassis and supply their own engines?          

Like 1999, it seems to me it would take a new team built from the ground up.           

Stevearino

Quote from: JB400 on August 16, 2017, 04:46:06 PM
Still just a rumor:   http://fcauthority.com/2017/08/it-turns-out-a-return-to-nascar-may-still-be-in-the-cards-for-dodge/

If people keep on talking, it might just happen.

One of the biggest obstacles would be the present uncertainty of the ownership of the company. Rumor has it that the Chinese are looking to own it. The cultural priorities would definitely be different. I have seen companies just change leadership and go from racing to golf because of the new CEO's personal interest. I cannot imagine how the new owners of a Chinese Chrysler would prefer to spend their advertising dollars.

thedodgeboys

So do you think the owners want to cut labor cost hoping the parts last longer that the labor to build new panels?

Or do you think na$car is getting a kickback in licensing fees and that's  the reason for the change?

It's interesting  to hear directly from an insider and I understand if there are some thing you cannot or shouldn't say.

I still love the sport but it's a changing...it's BIG business and with the new ownership charters I don't see many new players coming in or manufactures coming back if you can't buy one of the top 5 teams. Who wants to pay millions to run 25th every weekend? Try and sale that to the board of dictators...😎

TruckDriver

Darrell Wallace Jr. to replace Almirola at RPM in 2018  :2thumbs:

Aric Almirola is set to replace Danica Patrick in the Stewart-Haas Racing No. 10 car next season, and new SHR sponsor Smithfield also has agreed to continue a relationship with Richard Petty Motorsports, sources said.

PETE

Aero426

Quote from: TruckDriver on November 04, 2017, 11:49:41 AM

Aric Almirola is set to replace Danica Patrick in the Stewart-Haas Racing No. 10 car next season, and new SHR sponsor Smithfield also has agreed to continue a relationship with Richard Petty Motorsports, sources said.

As one media personality put it yesterday,  "Danica, with a dick." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TruckDriver

Matt Kenseth will step away from Cup in 2018  :'(

The last cup driver I really like.
PETE

A383Wing

Quote from: TruckDriver on November 04, 2017, 06:02:19 PM
Matt Kenseth will step away from Cup in 2018  :'(

The last cup driver I really like.

:iagree:

Stevearino

Quote from: thedodgeboys on November 04, 2017, 10:33:52 AM

So do you think the owners want to cut labor cost hoping the parts last longer that the labor to build new panels?

Or do you think na$car is getting a kickback in licensing fees and that's  the reason for the change?

It's interesting  to hear directly from an insider and I understand if there are some thing you cannot or shouldn't say.

I still love the sport but it's a changing...it's BIG business and with the new ownership charters I don't see many new players coming in or manufactures coming back if you can't buy one of the top 5 teams. Who wants to pay millions to run 25th every weekend? Try and sale that to the board of dictators...😎

The owners have been chompin at the bit to cut labor for years and they are finally getting their way but they are trading the cost of labor for the cost of everything else so while they are spending more they are spending on stuff and not people which they seem to prefer. There are a lot of people who have spent their entire life in the sport who are being cast aside as we speak.  There has always been a situation of the well connected getting sweet vendor deals.  I am just hoping to hang on for a few more years but it is getting like a game of "bop a mole". :lol:

JB400

Danica calling it quits:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/11/17/danica-patrick-steps-away-full-time-driving/

I say Kyle Busch or Harvick for champion this year, although I'm rooting for BK

chargerboy69

Which is fine, she is field filler anyway.  She brought in great sponsorship money for SHR and now since that is gone shes not worth keeping around.

If Kenseth cant get a ride for next year, Danica sure as heck wont.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

Jerr-Dan will be looking for work too then.  :yesnod:
PETE

A383Wing

Truex won the race at Homestead, and also won the Cup...great for him and his team..they deserve it