News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

There was also Shawna Robinson in the late '80's/early '90's, and Janet Guthrie in the 1970's.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

Quote from: mikesbbody on December 08, 2009, 10:36:53 PM
I agree Shakey, and I hope your right but the last Woman who raced in Nascar (I can't remember her name) but she drove a Dodge, never did any good and (ironically) wrecked DEJ one time... :lol:

Are you thinking about the girl who drove in the Busch Series a few years ago? She is now married to Ray Evernham...she used to drive for him...

Her name escapes me at this point

The70RT

Quote from: A383Wing on December 09, 2009, 08:55:10 PM
I agree Shakey, and I hope your right but the last Woman who raced in Nascar (I can't remember her name) but she drove a Dodge, never did any good and (ironically) wrecked DEJ one time... :lol:

Are you thinking about the girl who drove in the Busch Series a few years ago? She is now married to Ray Evernham...she used to drive for him...

Erin Crocker.....
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A383Wing

Quote from: The70RT on December 09, 2009, 08:58:11 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on December 09, 2009, 08:55:10 PM

Erin Crocker.....

Yup...that's her...she couldn't drive for shit...now she's just a toy for Ray

Landonsrt

Didnt she actually make it to cup for a few races back in like 03 or 04?

The70RT

Quote from: Landonsrt on December 09, 2009, 10:58:58 PM
Didnt she actually make it to cup for a few races back in like 03 or 04?

I think just Busch (then)? but she crashed almost everytime. I think she finished decent in some ARCA races.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikesbbody

I still don't remember her name, but she definitly raced in the cup series she was even featured in Mopar Muscle Magazine years ago. Instead of "Gentlemen, start your engines" he would say "Gentlemen and lady"...
I think she was a Mom, definitly raced a Dodge, I must find out her name...was it back in 03 or 04? that long ago?

mikesbbody

It was Shawna Robinson I was thinking of  :yesnod: been awhile since she raced in cup races am I right about her driving a Dodge?     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawna_Robinson

chargerboy69

Quote from: Landonsrt on December 08, 2009, 10:36:03 PM
Anyone notice how they dont show the stands that much anymore during the race?? Thats because they are half empty.

That is true.  The last year or two have been like that.  I think part of it is economy.  Some of the ticket prices are expensive.  Also, some do not like the fact they are all driving the same car with the COT, and some hate that Toyota came into the sport.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

Quote from: mikesbbody on December 10, 2009, 01:29:04 AM
It was Shawna Robinson I was thinking of  :yesnod: been awhile since she raced in cup races am I right about her driving a Dodge?     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawna_Robinson

Nope. She drove Chevy's. At least she was when I met her.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Landonsrt

I thought it was Robinson! I remember them saying the lady and gentlemen thing. Its good that she tried but she wasnt very good. You can either blame it on the talent or the equipment.

I know they have been saying for the last several years that Atlanta is going to loose one of its races due to horrid ticket sales. they took out the stands at the far side of the track after the tornado destroyed half of them and they still cant sell out! And they still expect to sell Champions (start/finish) for like $130 plus!

Ponch ®

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 10, 2009, 10:59:13 AM

Nope. She drove Chevy's. At least she was when I met her.

She drove the BAM #49 Dodge for a season or so about 5-6 years ago.

Danica in NASCAR = FAIL.

Look at all the accomplished open wheelers that have tried NASCAR in recent years. Franchitti (Indy Champ) lasted less than a season. Sam Hornish - mediocre at best after 3 years. Scott Speed - jury still out, but so far nothing to write home about. About the only two drivers that have made the transition succesfuly are Tony Stewart and Montoya. Still, Stewart was a sprint dirt tracker before he was in the IRL and Montoya (say what you will about his personality and funny english) is on tier of talent far above most drivers. I don't think NASCAR drivers are more talented than Indy drivers, or Vice Versa...but technology has made the cars so specialized that it takes an exceptional amount of talent to make the transition. Danica does not have that kind of talent.

Of course, Danica, Dale Jr., Hendrick, their sponsors, and NASCAR will get a lot of publicity and make boat loads of $...and thats what its all about. 
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Landonsrt

Quote from: Ponch ® on December 10, 2009, 07:28:03 PM

Danica does not have that kind of talent.

Of course, Danica, Dale Jr., Hendrick, their sponsors, and NASCAR will get a lot of publicity and make boat loads of $...and thats what its all about. 

I completely agree. Its all publicity for the sport. Wasnt Franchitti fired for fighting with his crew cheif?? Stewart is an exception to the rule because he can drive just about anything and do well. I am still undecided about montoya. He has shown several times this last year that if something goes wrong, its someone else fault. Just like Kyle Busch showed his ass! Its always the team or the other drivers on the tracks fault. Never his!

miller

It was Shawna Robinson I was thinking of  :yesnod: been awhile since she raced in cup races am I right about her driving a Dodge?     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawna_Robinson

FACT:

In the 2001 season she finished worse than Dale Earnhardt (57th vs 66th). That has to be an ego buster.

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Landonsrt

I dont understands why they kept him on the points list since he died in the first race of the year..

TruckDriver

:icon_smile_dissapprove: Sucks for us Wisconsin people.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-milwaukeemile-future&prov=ap&type=lgns

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP)—The Milwaukee Mile will fall mostly silent in 2010.

After months of negotiations with four potential promoters for the financially troubled racetrack failed to reach the finish line, the Wisconsin State Fair Park board of directors announced Wednesday that the track will not host any major racing events in 2010.

The track, which dates back to 1903, has hosted NASCAR and Indy Racing League races in recent years.

In a statement, board officials said the potential promoter it negotiated with most recently was not moving forward because the track's margin for profitability was "too thin."

The board said the track will continue to host car clubs and driving schools next year, and officials will continue to search for a promoter to bring major events back in 2011.
PETE

Landonsrt

What type of Nascar event had they held. Arca or some lower series?

TruckDriver

For a lot of years, they had the Nationwide cars, and the trucks the same weekend in July. I went to a Grand National (then Busch series, now Nationwide) race back in 1978 there. I don't remember if ARCA ever ran here. I know USAC did a long time ago (late '60's early '70's).
PETE

TruckDriver

Road America takes over Milwaukee Nationwide race   :2thumbs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-roadamerica&prov=ap&type=lgns

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (AP)—NASCAR's Nationwide series will stay in Wisconsin next year, shifting its race next year to Road America from the financially troubled Milwaukee Mile.

The twisting road course in central Wisconsin will host a Nationwide race on Saturday, June 19.

That replaces the Milwaukee Mile, which will not host major racing events in 2010. The Wisconsin State Fair Park board of directors, which oversees the Milwaukee track, has been unable to make a deal with a new promoter but still hopes to bring major events back there in 2011.

PETE

chargerboy69

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 22, 2009, 01:21:47 AM
Road America takes over Milwaukee Nationwide race   :2thumbs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-roadamerica&prov=ap&type=lgns

The twisting road course in central Wisconsin will host a Nationwide race on Saturday, June 19th.

Yea. . . another road course.  :eek2:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

I just saw on Speed, that this year at the first Martiansville race, Nascar is getting rid of the rear wings, and going back to the traditional rear spoiler on the cars.

The #26 car and team of Roush's , and car owner points was sold of to a new team out of Oregon. Didn't say anything about McMurry if he was still going to be in the car.

Ricky Stenhouse is the new driver for the #6 car this year.

It was weird seeing Dale Jr. with a big 'ol bushy beard too  :lol:
PETE

chargerboy69

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 13, 2010, 07:41:15 PM

The #26 car and team of Roush's , and car owner points was sold of to a new team out of Oregon. Didn't say anything about McMurry if he was still going to be in the car.

McMurry signed to drive Martin Truex's old #1 car a couple months ago.

--Gerald Ford

Landonsrt

I imagine the only reason they are getting rid of the wing at Martinsville is the cost effectiveness. It doesnt do anything to help the cars on short tracks like there and Bristol. Maybe they have another reason, I didnt see any of the speed pre season stuff yet.

chargerboy69

They are talking about getting rid of the wing altogether.  They have had several more accidents where the cars are going airborne.  Carl Edwards and Ryan Newman had a big one each this last season.  When they get turned around and the roof flaps go up, the wing is lifting them up and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cn_qRThRg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlytg1bYI0

--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

Quote from: Landonsrt on January 14, 2010, 07:44:23 AM
I imagine the only reason they are getting rid of the wing at Martinsville is the cost effectiveness.

You hit it right on the head. Least that is what they said last night.

I saw this on "NASCAR Race Hub" at 6:30pm central time on Speed. It's on 4 days a week. Not sure about Friday nights.
PETE