News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 27, 2011, 12:16:09 PM
Still not enough points for winning. All that France F-Up cares about is his totally stupid play-off.

The % difference between 1'st and second on is worse now than it already was.

I want each race to stand up on its own.....everyone trying to win - not riding around for points.

It's a fine line between making winning a race more important but not making it too important. The problem is that you don't want a guy who regularly runs in the middle of the pack but lucks into winning a race by staying out on a rain shortened race to back into the Chase over a guy that's been running consistently better all year.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Landonsrt

I hate to say it but as long as jj has knaus, it's all his to win. He can ride around or win. I don't want to see him pass petty and Earnhardt. But he's almost there.........  :brickwall:

chargerboy69

Quote from: Landonsrt on January 27, 2011, 12:57:12 PM
I hate to say it but as long as jj has knaus, it's all his to win. He can ride around or win. I don't want to see him pass petty and Earnhardt. But he's almost there.........  :brickwall:

I agree, it is Jimmies to lose.  And I do not see anyone getting in their way this season either.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargermike

cant wait for the new season to start. i am a huge NASCAR FAN. my guy is kurt bush. been a bush fan since his rookie year. but until someone can out perform jimmie and jack. they will be unstopable. but racing is so much more than the championship. i do vegas and the fall race in atlanta every year. its the 3 daze of tailgateing i love. we have a great group that meets at the track every year. we fly in from all over the country and canada and just have the best time. racing fans are some of the best. plus met many drivers and jr. johnson and all have been really nice people. nascar is about the fan. unlike other sports. but wish nascar who claims to be all about AMERICA could find someone good to sing the national athem. it seems every week they get some crappy person. but the fly over always ROCKS. SO GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES. speed week starts soon. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

nvrbdn

there was a commercial on the other day and they said that they were changing the point system this year. "jimmy johnson automatically wins and the season is run to see who gets second". im ready to see jimmy fall. im a ryan newman, tony stewart team fan, but newman has my main vote.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 27, 2011, 12:22:24 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 27, 2011, 12:16:09 PM
Still not enough points for winning. All that France F-Up cares about is his totally stupid play-off.

The % difference between 1'st and second on is worse now than it already was.

I want each race to stand up on its own.....everyone trying to win - not riding around for points.

It's a fine line between making winning a race more important but not making it too important. The problem is that you don't want a guy who regularly runs in the middle of the pack but lucks into winning a race by staying out on a rain shortened race to back into the Chase over a guy that's been running consistently better all year.

My point was - F the chase - It is the stupidest thought to come out of BZF's alledged brain ever.

Who cares about the championship.....Let them all try and win and just see how exciting each race will become.....even snoozefests like Fontana, Chicago etc. etc.

What used to be the most exciting form of auto racing (to me) has morphed into a version of the WWE.

BZF is trying to make it a stick and ball sport......It Ain't. What other play-off system allows all the teams to hang around and play?

I'll watch but I will now PVR them so I don't waste any more precious days of Summer up here!

nvrbdn

I RECORD EVERY RACE CAUSE I CAMP ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND FROM APRIL TILL NOV. I WATCH IT SUNDAY NIGHT AND FASTFORWARD THROUGH THE PRELIM STUFF AND COMMERCIALS. I AGREE, IM NOT WASTING MY LIFE AWAY ANYMORE PLANTING MY BUTT IN A CHAIR WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE. BUT STILL DONT WANT TO MISS MY RACES!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

maxwellwedge

And we all know there are PLENTY of commercials!
The TV coverage is another rant altogether!  :lol:

Shakey

I used to follow it religiously but I have young children now and would much rather spend my time with them.  That, combined with all of the other things that need to be done around the house on the weekend, it just doesn't rank up there with something that I need to make time for.

What I used to do over the past few years is watch the first 10 laps, go about my business and try to catch the last 20 laps - that's all that really matters to me.

elacruze

I stopped watching NASCAR when they switched to Radial tires.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

74-StreetMachine

Shakey, I feel she same way. I used to be a huge fan, I knew all the drivers names and car numbers, I could recite stats and finishing orders. Now I start watching a race, fall asleep after 10 laps, wake up, do something else then watch the end of the race. The cookie cutter mile and a half tracks I couldn't care less about. They are boring and uneventful.

But I still get excited at the start of a new season. Maybe it's because it's the middle of winter and it's cold outside and football season is over.  I find the twin 125s almost more exciting than the Daytona 500.

Last year the 500 was on Valentines Day. I watched the beginning of the race, went out with my girlfriend, got engaged, went to dinner, and got home just in time to see the last green white checker finish.  It was a win/win for me.
Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

The70RT

If it's on and i am home it's not like im glued to it anymore. If I miss it no biggie.....marks about to retire and so is Dodge.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikesbbody

Quote from: Landonsrt on January 27, 2011, 12:57:12 PM

As a very "casual" nascar fan I only watch a handful of race's a year (if that) can someone please explain to me why JJ will keep winning? Is Knaus THAT good? is JJ That good? is it a case of the team with the most $ behind them will always win? (if so, why haven't Toyota won more races?) I guess what I'm trying to say here is what does JJ and Knaus have that the others don't (i.e a unfair advantage) winning 5 in a row is impressive but not if they have a unfair advantage.

maxwellwedge

Jimmie and Chad are actually aliens...... :D

A383Wing

I think they just have not been caught for cheating .......

yet....

maxwellwedge

Quote from: A383Wing on February 06, 2011, 06:15:06 PM
I think they just have not been caught for cheating .......

LATELY....

Fixed it for you!   :lol:

mikesbbody

How do they cheat? more H.P? more testing? I still haven't heard why JJ has dominated over the last 5 years could he just be THAT good? I agree the race for the chase is stupid  :Twocents:

General_01

All I know is that I have talked to a lot of race fans who are getting very disinterested in racing when the same team keeps winning.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

nvrbdn

well on the old point system it never would have happened. but we have been there and cant change that. the way the system is  you make the top 12 and get hot for the last 10 races and your there. but you better have a hendrick car cuz they seem to always be on top. then if you have an enemy and they take you out, you cant catch up. hendrick wussied out last year and wouldnt let gordon retaliate from the numerous times that jj pushed him. i could rant all night cuz i dont like jj gordon or earnhardt.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

mikesbbody

Quote from: General_01 on February 06, 2011, 10:59:44 PM
All I know is that I have talked to a lot of race fans who are getting very disinterested in racing when the same team keeps winning.

I agree with you 100% and that is why I don't watch it as much as I used too someone earlier said it's now a lot like WWE Wrestling and I couldn't agree more!

chargerboy69

I was surprised nobody brought up the Daytona 500 yet.  I thought it was a really good race even though that dips&!t Mickey took out half the field.  ::)  Was really neat to see the kid win his first race, in only his second NASCAR Cup race.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

miller

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 20, 2011, 06:58:51 PM
I was surprised nobody brought up the Daytona 500 yet.  I thought it was a really good race even though that dips&!t Mickey took out half the field.  ::)  Was really neat to see the kid win his first race, in only his second NASCAR Cup race.

I don't really think that is a fair assessment of the situation. Similar circumstances were abundant through out the race. Tony Stewart spun cars twice in a similar fashion. It is just what happens in this type of racing, the cars didn't line up exactly correct and Reutimann didn't have enough time to correct. In the end it was an exciting race and most importantly no one was hurt. Brad Keselowski's wreck had me worried because it looked remarkably like Dale Earnhardt's wreck 10 year ago.

Miller

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

General_01

Even Kyle Bush said Waltrip didn't do anything wrong when he spun. Ruetimann tried to change lanes while Waltrip was pushing him. He even admitted he didn't let Mikey know soon enough. As Miller points out, that is going to happen with this type of racing. It happened multiple times with different people. I'm just glad JJ nor the Busch's won, although I will say I was pretty impressed that Kyle was as gracious as he was in his interview while having the kind of day he did. He still finished 8. Maybe Shrub is growing up.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

NHCharger

At first I wasn't very happy with the "two by two" racing. But I soon noticed there was a lot more jockeying for position and lead swaps compared to the usual pack racing. I thought it was one of the better 500's I've seen in quite a while.

Even thou a ford won the race it was great to see the Wood Brothers back in victory lane.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chargerboy69

Quote from: General_01 on February 20, 2011, 07:19:03 PM
Ruetimann tried to change lanes while Waltrip was pushing him. He even admitted he didn't let Mikey know soon enough.

Like he is going to call out his boss on national TV.

Sorry guys I will have to disagree, I thought I watched a talentless has been driver that never was wreck half the field.  He was famous for this while driving full time.

--Gerald Ford