News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking bout buying my son a car, bad idea??

Started by NHCharger, October 08, 2005, 10:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar440+6

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on October 10, 2005, 06:18:35 AM
I know you said any intout from teenagers will be looked at like this but I'm going to give my :Twocents: anyway.

Same here. I say make him work for it. Use the license to get the school stuff where it should be but make him work for the car. If he works for it he WILL learn alot and he'll put alot more value where it should be...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

greatwn73

Mustanghater; close but its a Pontiac Sunrunner

Stormhammer; I also thought these things were "death traps" but with a full frame and 4wd its probably safer than a cavalier or neon. Rust is its biggest enemy and this one was was garaged all its life with only surface rust around the wheel well. Cheap to insure and cheap to repair and gets 44mpg , its just what a young driver (working part-time) needs to start his driving career.

Moparyounggun; 4000 rpm at 60  your uncle should learn how to select the right gear, and how to fasten a soft top.

Arkgl01

OK I can relate here, when I was 16 and doing fair in school my dad said he would get me a car but nothing special...I found a 87 Buick grand national with 50,000 original miles and was actually owned by a older lady who got it after she got her insurance money...anyways my dad and I had a LONGGGGG talk and he said if I got one ticket it would be gone. I knew he wasn't joking. I took more pride in that car, I got up before school and washed it and wiped it down and never got a ticket. He took it away one time cause I wasn't where I said I was...over at a girls house of course!!! I think its between you and your son (or daughter), ever kid is different, my brother got a 78 vette with a 454 and after the first night was in JAIL!!! my dad simply didn't help him with cars and he rode the bus and with friends....

hope I helped!!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

SirNik73

my situation was a little bit diffrent, i had good enough grades to get a car so my dad gave me his comuter toyota. it was crap. and i treated it like crap. on day i recked it. i was on my dads $hit list. he didn't want to get me another car because of the way i treated the last one. so after a few months him and i worked out a deal. i found the same car a wrecked and i i got it for a few hundred bucks, the new car barly ran and had tons of problems. i had to use the wrecked car for parts and rebuild the new car. by the time i was done with it i had tons of respect for that car. i still have it and i love it (and rememebr its a peice of $hit toyota) so my sugestion would be, give him a budget of $500 to get a car he really wants. don't let him get something just to have wheels. then tell him that for every A he'll get an amount of money tward fixing the car. in high school having a nice car is everything. he'll ether work his butt off getting good grades or get a job working (teaching him real life lessons) and by the time the car is nice he'll have learned a lot and he'll have respect for the car.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

hemihead

My son turns 16 tomorrow( Oct. 11) and I am thinking about getting him a Dart or something just for a driver.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: NHCharger on October 09, 2005, 08:38:32 AM

Darryl, On our Winni cruise was that your 15 y.o. son that met you in Alton Bay? If so ,holy $hit, sign him up with the Pats, he is one big boy.

Brian, Yeah, that was Josh. He'll be 15 in Feb. Last I checked, he was 6'6" 280.

FWIW, if he folloowed through, he's getting the wife's 2001 PT. It's small (can't fit a lot of pals in it)l, airbagged, and disgustingly underpowered.

That's a nice combination.....

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Stormhammer on October 09, 2005, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: MustangHater on October 09, 2005, 07:37:30 PM
a geo! those thigs are popular at my school. their cheap 4-wheel drive and come in some cool colors.

those things are freaking death traps

My sister got broadsided by a FED-X in her Tracker and walked away. That thing was toast.

Charger500

I'm 16 and I just got my first car...1970 dodge charger 500...440ci ooooooyeah. Tell him to bring up the grades and offer to split the price of the car that sounds fair enoguh.

THE CHARGER PUNK

i turn 17 on feb.17th and my dad told me if i want a dodge charger he told me to get off my ass get a job and go buy one (mind you my dads buddy knows where most of the 68-70 chargers are sitting in my town  :Dand can get me an R/T thats right an R/T for the small amount of $2500)sweet deal eh? im going for a 68 r/t to turn into a restored version of the blade car from the 3rd movie,thus guy owns a triple black 70 r/t 6-pack 4-spd car and is currently restoring a triple green 68 r/t ex-cop car and a 70 ex-cop cafury which he is loading with nitrous and a punched 440-MATT

derailed

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on October 11, 2005, 11:16:16 PM
i turn 17 on feb.17th and my dad told me if i want a dodge charger he told me to get off my ass get a job and go buy one (mind you my dads buddy knows where most of the 68-70 chargers are sitting in my town   :Dand can get me an R/T thats right an R/T for the small amount of $2500)sweet deal eh? i

what town do you live in again?

BigBadCharger

Don't get him an SRT-4. They are fast but very dangerious for young kids who don't know how to drive a car. I own an Infiniti and a WRX and both are fast but I know what im doing... make teh right decision!
How's your wife and my kids?

dodgeboy67

well heres how it was at my house....c average to even think of drivers ed..................and if i was lucky enuff to go to drivers ed(which i wasnt.....so i can relate to your son)....i still wouldve had to buy my own car(77 vega wagon)

i wouldnt buy the car untill the grades improve.....if you buy it now , eventually hell sucker you into that drivers seat, bad grades or not.....if you tell him that youll buy a car for good grades...that really should be enough incentive(unless you have a habit of breaking promises to your kids.........and surely that isnt the case)

kids need to learn these days ....nothing is free..........good luck

and remember...opinions are like buttholes ...we all have them..this is just mine