News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 small block to a 727 big block

Started by hutch, March 03, 2008, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch

I got an offer to buy a 727 from a guy for 50 bucks but its from a small block.  I have a 440 and am in need of a fix to my lost reverse gear.  Can I just swap out the guts of the small block version and put it in my old tranny?  Do they plug and play like that or am I going to open a can of worms on this deal?

Plus he said it was a 4x4 tranny and might not work.  I did not know it made a diff.  Are they shorter or something?

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

r73mopar

the swap will be pretty straight forward as long as you have some knowlage about trannys. i have done this swap a few times and vise versa (from 2wd to 4wd ) the main difference is the main shaft on the 4wd is shorter than the 2wd, so you have to change the shaft. just beware of year differences 62-75,76-93 ther are different spline angles on the teeth on these shafts, sometimes they will go together but as soon as you use the tranny they will strip the your a sitting duck!! hope this helps :scratchchin:

hutch

that was the info I was looking for.  I will turn this guy down and keep looking around local for something. 

Thanks for the info.

hutch

Quote from: r73mopar on March 03, 2008, 05:44:55 PM
the swap will be pretty straight forward as long as you have some knowlage about trannys. i have done this swap a few times and vise versa (from 2wd to 4wd ) the main difference is the main shaft on the 4wd is shorter than the 2wd, so you have to change the shaft. just beware of year differences 62-75,76-93 ther are different spline angles on the teeth on these shafts, sometimes they will go together but as soon as you use the tranny they will strip the your a sitting duck!! hope this helps :scratchchin:

Whats the spline count so I can tell what year I need.  The engine and tranny in my car were pulled from another car but I have no idea what year it was.

thanks.

Ghoste

r73mopar is referring to the angle the splines are cut at, not the number of splines.  The tooth angle was changed on the splines which go into the gearsets in 76.  There are other differences in output shafts over the years but that is one that can catch you off guard in a bad way!