News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 DECK FILLER PANEL AVAIL FROM AMD

Started by daytonalo, March 02, 2008, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

MAKING A DAYTONA JUST GOT EASIER , AMD MAKES THE TRUNK GUTTER FOR 71 B-BODY , WHICH ACCORDING TO HOTROD 98 , THEY WORK PERFECT .

Larry

hotrod98

They work...yes.   
Perfect...no.
The easiest way to go...definitely. (Just my opinion.)

Let's ask BBS.
Rene, isn't this the way that your bodyman installed your plug?  If so what did he think about this method?
The only problem that I had on Howie's car was where the deck lid closeout panel hits the panel in a couple of places. I just bent the lip down a little. This is where the trunk weatherstrip goes so I hope the trunk doesn't leak in that area.
The steps are slightly different so I sliced them and bent them to meet the 69 steps in the corners and welded and seam sealed them. Looks kind of stock really.

Here's a pic after weld, before seam sealer.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

hey
you beat me to saying that perfect is a big word. it works well . hotrod said it perfectly, The steps are slightly different . i don't think he sliced them but they have to be bent to meet the 69 steps . the best thing about using the 73 panel is that the radius of the channel  that meets the trunk lip fits well. opposite of what the 69 charger was . so if you use any vendors closeout piece on your trunk lid it should match.
when done correctly it looks just like stock . pics

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BigBlockSam

then finished

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on March 03, 2008, 12:02:21 AM
You dont sandblast entire car ?

Yes, but this isn't my car. I only do what I'm paid to do. Gives me more time to finish my own projects. ::)

Charles Addams

TomP

$189.95 seems kind of pricey for such a small piece of metal, but then I guess you'll save a bunch of time cleaning up an old rusted piece that was cut from a donor car.

'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

If you think so , DON'T EVER BUILD A DAYTONA !!! That is probably the cheapest part you'll find

TomP

Quote from: daytonalo on March 04, 2008, 10:51:32 AM
If you think so , DON'T EVER BUILD A DAYTONA !!! That is probably the cheapest part you'll find
No way!  My Vega plus was only $20 at the Pick-N-Pull on half price day. 
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

Exactly my point , you still need this part to install plug !! I'm going to get my Popcorn

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on March 04, 2008, 11:34:30 AM
Exactly my point , you still need this part to install plug !! I'm going to get my Popcorn
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

:popcrn: :popcrn:  my fing plug cost me $200 and shipping from texas and i was happy to get it . it took me 6 months to find that plug  :RantExplode:

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 04, 2008, 01:57:56 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn: my fing plug cost me $200 and shipping from texas and i was happy to get it . it took me 6 months to find that plug :RantExplode:

Man, them things are lying all over the place here in the south. Those vegas migrated south for the winter and never went home.

Stuart...guess which one's yours.  :drool5:

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteStuart...guess which one's yours.   

hopefully not the one with the vents.  :yesnod:

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 04, 2008, 05:46:24 PM
QuoteStuart...guess which one's yours.   

hopefully not the one with the vents.  :yesnod:
either way no big deal larry will make it look right

hotrod98

The gray and black one with the vents is almost like new. It was on a guy's drag car and hasn't sat outside since the 70's. The non-vented one is very nice and has a small amount of deep surface rust near the glass, Easy fix. The third one has a little more rust but is very usable. I think they're all spoken for at this point. Stuart has first choice, his buddy has second choice and gary42 from this site gets the third one.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 04, 2008, 08:08:48 PM
The gray and black one with the vents is almost like new. It was on a guy's drag car and hasn't sat outside since the 70's. The non-vented one is very nice and has a small amount of deep surface rust near the glass, Easy fix. The third one has a little more rust but is very usable. I think they're all spoken for at this point. Stuart has first choice, his buddy has second choice and gary42 from this site gets the third one.
larry you just choose the best one you wanna work with , what ever makes it easiest on you .

66chargerkid

snowman

Hey guys, not to hi-jack the thread, I am totally new to the Daytona's, I am doing research on building a clone wing car. It seems that the Vegas deck lid keeps popping up. Out of curiosity, besides price, why are the repop replacements not being used? It just seems like it would be an easier job to do with a part that fits better, and I am assuming the charger rear window fits the plug. Fabrication is nothing new to me, I was just curious as to why people are going vega plug versus a repop.   :shruggy:

moparstuart

daytona back glass is specific to the daytona plug and the glass is expensive . Plus the molding is super expensive to buy also or you have to make your own.

so the vega plus at 100.00 gets you your plug, glass and molding and it's looks great and close to stock for alot less money .  :Twocents: :Twocents:

hotrod98

The correct repop steel plug, glass and moldings would run around $4200... Vega plug...cheap.
Besides, we're just a bunch of cheap b*stards.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 05, 2008, 05:31:35 PM
The correct repop steel plug, glass and moldings would run around $4200... Vega plug...cheap.

you can say that again !

hotrod98

Charles Addams

snowman

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 05, 2008, 05:31:35 PM

Well, heck, sounds like I will fit right in than.  :icon_smile_big:

Who on this forum would be a good contact to find out more info on doing a Daytona conversion?

Can you think of a link or thread that covers doing the vega hatch install with pictures?

Also, is there a particular year Vega that is desired more so than the other years?

hotrod98

Check out this link. There are others. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20982.0.html

As for vega hatchbacks...
71-73 have vents that must be filled
74-77 no vents...best choice
There were as lot more vegas built from 71-73 than from 74-77. Do the math. If you find a rust free 71-73, grab it and just fill in the vent area. Make sure that the glass and moldings are good and that there's not much rust

Oh, and welcome to the nuthouse. What color is the sky in your world.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams