News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MAACO

Started by cudadude013, March 05, 2008, 04:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Uh-Oh, Better get Maaco, remember that slogan? :scratchchin:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

MichaelRW

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 06, 2008, 09:27:33 AM
I stand by my belief that there are some good MAACO shops....There is a member on here that runs a MAACO shop and seems to be on his game IMO . I think his name is MichealRW or something like that.  :yesnod:

Yes, right you are. I own a Maaco in California. We do everything from the few hundred dollar cheapies to custom stuff. It all depends on what the customer wants and what they can afford to do.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

MichaelRW

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 09, 2008, 01:07:32 AM
Seemed like the low paint price was just a gimmick to get you in there then nail you with a big body work price. LEON.

Maaco advertises the Ambassador Paint Job for $229 (the price in my market, other markets may be more or less). Some cars need very little prep or bodywork while others need a lot. The low paint price is not a gimmick because if you do all your own prep and bodywork we will paint your car for the $229. Of course, most people can't do this. It amazes though as to how many people will call or come in and think the $229 will cover prep, bodywork and paint.  ::)

694spdRT

Quote from: MichaelRW on March 11, 2008, 12:47:23 PM
Seemed like the low paint price was just a gimmick to get you in there then nail you with a big body work price. LEON.

Maaco advertises the Ambassador Paint Job for $229 (the price in my market, other markets may be more or less). Some cars need very little prep or bodywork while others need a lot. The low paint price is not a gimmick because if you do all your own prep and bodywork we will paint your car for the $229. Of course, most people can't do this. It amazes though as to how many people will call or come in and think the $229 will cover prep, bodywork and paint.  ::)

What do you get with the $229 Ambassador paint job? Is it sanding down the existing paint, taping, and then shooting it?

Disclaimer: I have and old Jeep that needs paint so its not for a Charger.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MichaelRW

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 11, 2008, 02:38:11 PM

What do you get with the $229 Ambassador paint job? Is it sanding down the existing paint, taping, and then shooting it?

Yes, it's just a hand sanding for adhesion, masking, shooting a sealer and then painting it the same color on the outside. Some people do their own prep and we simply scuff and shoot. It really is a good deal as you can't even buy the paint, sealer, hardener and reducer for that. The $229 is for cars only. Trucks are extra depending on the size.

694spdRT

Quote from: MichaelRW on March 11, 2008, 06:01:45 PM

Yes, it's just a hand sanding for adhesion, masking, shooting a sealer and then painting it the same color on the outside. Some people do their own prep and we simply scuff and shoot. It really is a good deal as you can't even buy the paint, sealer, hardener and reducer for that. The $229 is for cars only. Trucks are extra depending on the size.

Thanks for the info. I think this kind of work definately has its place. Fully restored the old Jeep would probably not be worth the price of a standard paint job.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Runner

yup bull, thats wallawa

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

HITMAN 149

excellent info... :cheers:
as i was pondering taking the caddy to maaco (one 5 mins from me down the road) hahaha it's on my list of things to do tomorrow!!! i'm trying to keep the resto costs down on her, vs her value.
she's already white... so i was gonna do her in a pearl white , like the new caddy's... also white hides body imperfections the best.. as i've been told???  she does need some body work as well as the paint.
hmmmm anybody hear any good OR bad about any maaco's in jersey?!?!? i'm right by the one in keyport nj on route 35.
thanks guys!!!!!
:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

HITMAN 149

Quote from: 69mopar on March 05, 2008, 08:33:38 PM
I used Maaco to repaint this 76 vette. Yes, I know its a vette and not a dodge   :RantExplode:   but its a good example of what they can do. .  my charger is currently getting a paint job now there. have a look at the vette. they did a custom job for me with great colors. the paint is nice. Good quailty and its nice and smooth.

aghhhhh you killed that vette w/ the luggage rack!!!!!!!!! lol
nice vette!!!  :2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

hemi-hampton

HITMAN, Pearl white is a tri stage (3 stage) paint job, Pearls are always going to cost you more. LEON.

HITMAN 149

hey leon...  :cheers:
ok... cmon take a quick trip to joisey.. and paint my caddy for me!!! LOL
thanks.. yea that's what i've been told. ehh we'll see.. i have a couple places i'm gonna scope out??
i just want a decent job for a decent price in a decent time frame!!!  ::) ok.. i'm prob dilusional!!! lol
thanks
:2thumbs:
i'll keep ya posted!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

MichaelRW

Quote from: MichaelRW on March 11, 2008, 06:01:45 PM

I need to correct something I wrote yesterday. I said the $229 includes sealer, it does not. Sealer is $49.95 extra. However, if a customer insists on only the paint and nothing else I still seal the car so it will look ok and not charge for it. I call this under promise and over deliver.

AutoRust

Quote from: MichaelRW on March 12, 2008, 12:26:57 PM
I call this under promise and over deliver.

Thats GREAT. Even if they dont know you did the extras, Good customer service goes a long way.

:cheers:

We send a lot of customers to MAACO after we repair the rockers and lower quarters on cars that didn't pass safety inspection. 10 times out of 9 they end up having the complete car painted. Sure there might be an imperfection or 2, but for $7-800 bucks, so what. Most of the time my customers are thrilled, there old sh*tbox looks like a new car to them, and they are happy.

DR
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

MichaelRW

Quote from: AutoRust on March 12, 2008, 12:37:32 PM
Quote from: MichaelRW on March 12, 2008, 12:26:57 PM
I call this under promise and over deliver.

Thats GREAT. Even if they dont know you did the extras, Good customer service goes a long way.

We send a lot of customers to MAACO after we repair the rockers and lower quarters on cars that didn't pass safety inspection. 10 times out of 9 they end up having the complete car painted. Sure there might be an imperfection or 2, but for $7-800 bucks, so what. Most of the time my customers are thrilled, there old sh*tbox looks like a new car to them, and they are happy.

DR

Now you're a guy that understands the program.

HITMAN 149

well i just got back from 3 area body shops..
the first one said..um they really don't do complete paint jobs?!?!? WTF?? i'm glad they are a body shop.. he said stop by again on sat & speak w/ his father, who may feel nostalgic?!?!? lol
the 2nd one said at least MINIMUM $10K!!!  :o
and maaaaaaaco said no prob, between $5-6K depends on if i have them grind & fill w/ fiberglass or weld in new metal?? and also depends on how much time to take off my old rusty bumpers & put the nicer one's i'm getting on?
so there's my body shop trek today...
i'm still gonna stop off at another shop, that a guy i work with has a piece of, and see what he says.
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

MichaelRW

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 12, 2008, 04:57:14 PM
the first one said..um they really don't do complete paint jobs?!?!? WTF?? i'm glad they are a body shop.. he said stop by again on sat & speak w/ his father, who may feel nostalgic?!?!? lol

This is not surprising. Most bodyshops are insurance DRP's and all they want to do are spot jobs. I routinely have other bodyshops refer complete paints to me.

HITMAN 149

hey mike..
yea i was surprised!! meanwhile this was a BIG shop... they just re-did the place all really nice & modern!!! but they only do spot work!?!?!? sheeeesh.. what's this world comming to?!?!
geeez i gotta be carefull next time i go for another tattoo... i hope they do the whole piece & not 1/2 of it!!! LOL :nana:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

AutoRust

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 12, 2008, 04:57:14 PM
the 2nd one said at least MINIMUM $10K!!!  :o
and maaaaaaaco said no prob, between $5-6K depends on if i have them grind & fill w/ fiberglass or weld in new metal?? and also depends on how much time to take off my old rusty bumpers & put the nicer one's i'm getting on?
so there's my body shop trek today...
i'm still gonna stop off at another shop, that a guy i work with has a piece of, and see what he says.

Sounds typical to me. Most of the body shops around here ( New England) will not even allow an older car in there shop. There is always the little renegade shops around, that are desperate for work, and they take them in on a wing-n-a-prayer. Usually with a lowball price that will spiral out of control after they realize what there up against. Then they usually push it aside and use it for "fill" work. My understanding of that means only as a last resort, and even then its a stretch to get them to do quality work.
The modern auto body shops are great for insurance work, I had my Audi in for a minor fender bender. Amazing job, cant even tell they painted the hood, fender and bumper cover. I am good buddy's with the owner, he does not want me to refer paint work to him. No way, collision sure, but not resto work.
I guess its his business model, and works for him.
It sure opens the door for someone to step in and offer this type of service.

Good luck with your search. Insist on seeing references, check the shop out carefully, and ask around the other shops and see what they think of the one your considering. I have noticed lots of guys on this and other forums that have brought stuff to the buddy's and eventually they are no longer buddy's.

Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

HITMAN 149

yea i guess that's the name of the game nowadays!?!?!? spot work is in!?!?!? lol
ehhhh we'll see what i can figure out... maaco had a bunch of pics of old cars that they did there and looked like they came out good. but pics can be deceiving!! lol
there's another shop in the area that i forgot about, i'm going in a bit, they painted a friends bike, and it came out pretty sweet. so the hunt continues!!!! lol
thanks!!  :cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

hemi-hampton

So what ever happened to Cudadude013 the original poster who originally asked this Maaco question, Did he get his 68 Painted at Maaco, He said he was going to post Pictures, Lets see the results :scratchchin: LEON. :shruggy: :Twocents:

cudadude013

Hey Leon,

Just got her back from Maaco last week. Some overspray and other shortcuts that could have been expected but I'm happy with the $1400 paint job.  :cheers:

I've almost finished reinstalling the trim, here ya go...

cudadude013

and again

hemi-hampton

Is it single stage enamel or Base Coat clear coat Urethane? What color or paint code is that blue? LEON. :scratchchin:

cudadude013

You can't tell but its actually purple. Someone had already completed the engine bay and door jambs with plum crazy so they just matched it the closest they could.  :coolgleamA:

hemi-hampton

There is 2 different variations on the FC7 Plumcrazy Purple. One is lighter & one is darker brighter. That one doesn't look like either really but hard to tell from Pics. LEON. :scratchchin: