News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The "Where the Heck do these Go?" game!

Started by Judhudson, October 09, 2005, 07:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

Alright all of you 3rd Gen Charger Owners, I need your help and have a little game for you!

YOUR GOAL:  To view the pictures and to tell what it is, if it really is important and what they go to.

YOUR PRIZE:  To know that when I start my Charger up, it won't go BOOM!  (Actually, it runs fine, but hey, you can never predict these cars :P )  You'll also be making a fellow pretty exciting knowing his engine bay is good.

PIC #1

The little what-cha-ma-call it is on the passengers side firewall.  It has a hose going into the top part that comes from the engine.  The bottom is missing a hose.  On the black part it says "To Carb".  However, I can't seem to find a place on the carb to put this.  Was this used with the original carb?

PIC #2

On my wiring diagram, I think this is suppose to go to my distributor.  However, my dad tells me I don't have the correct distributor for the car.  But he also says that it works and I don't need to get a new one.  Does this wire really go to my distributor?  If I order a correct one, will it have a plug for this to go into?

PIC #3

Last but not least, this worries me the most.  The guy that had this car before me had this plugged up.  I'm not sure what this is suppose to be, and cannot find anywhere it should go.  Any ideas?  I think it is a fuel line, but that is just one guy's dumb opinion :)

Well, I think that's all of the problems I know that I have.  If anyone could give me a hand, I'd be extremely grateful.  I can't wait to get this to the paintshop! (Pics of the whole car should be in another month)

-Jud

Chryco Psycho

don`t worry about the carb valve on the firewall
the second gas line is a vent line from the tank to the carbon canister which seems to be removed
the Red plug is similar to the dist plug , not sure where it was connected to originally

Judhudson

Thanks Chryco, I appreciate it :)

As for the Carbon Canister, I am new to cars, so I'm not sure what that is....Should I get one?

71_deputy

it is a dist. wire for the pickup unit back to the ECU. you say it runs without it??? sounds like maybe someone has put in a points dist.????
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Chryco Psycho

the carbon canister is used to absorb feul vapors from the carb & fuel tank , it is a polution control device , , I guess it depends if your state requires you to have one

John_Kunkel

The gizmo on the firewall is called the OSAC valve, it senses the air temperature in the cowl plenum and  controls the vacuum advance depending on temperature.

Replacement charcoal canisters are available from some auto supplies.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

andy74

Quote from: 71_deputy on October 11, 2005, 07:42:17 AM
it is a dist. wire for the pickup unit back to the ECU. you say it runs without it??? sounds like maybe someone has put in a points dist.????
thats exactly what i was thinking-i just went out and looked under my hood to be sure,but i have elctronic ignition and my wiring plugs into the dist.where it belongs

Chryco Psycho

being a red plug it must have been for something else or someone duplicated the harness when replacing an eletronic ign system

defiance

Yeah, crazy, that plug is EXACTLY the plug used for the distributor reluctor wires...  But all of them I've ever seen have been black, and the wire colors are wrong, too (should be black/grey).   ???