News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Description of 2 or 4 barrel carb is v, why?

Started by Charge It!, November 08, 2005, 06:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charge It!

I have wondered about this for a long time, so i thought I would ask. When you see someone list or describe their engine, and they list the carb, the number of barrels is always denoted by a "v". As is - the car has a 400 2v, or 318 4v. What does "v" mean. I know it is for barrel, but is there a significance of the letter v instead of b?

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1972Rallye

hemi68charger

Quote from: CB on November 08, 2005, 07:28:38 AM
valves

:iagree:

Here's a picture of a Holley 3-v performance carb. Notice the 4 booster venturies, yet only three valves...

troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

It's venturi.   The Holley three holer may have 4 boosters, but it still has 3 principle venturi (venturi's?   venturae?   venturie?).

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

Notice the 2 smaller bores & the 1 larger...=3 ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

71charger_fan

Remember that Ford piece of crap, the variable venturi? I was watching Motorweek a long time ago and someone wrote in as to what they could do with a troublesome VV carb on their Ford. Pat Goss took a Ford VV carb and threw it in the trash can for effect and held up an aftermarket carb and told the audience to buy one of those instead.

Ghoste

The variable venturi goers into the Lean Burn Hall of Fame.  It was a good idea that didn't work in real life.  You have to at least give Ford credit for trying.  There are a lot of those aren't there?  Caddy 8-6-4 comes to mind for some reason.
Isn't the Predator a variable venturi?