News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting my vinyl top?

Started by 73chgrSE, March 12, 2008, 11:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I can see that it was painted before. It's in really good shape except faded and discolored.
I was thinking about painting it with exterior oil based flat or satin white rustoleum. Anyone here ever paint theirs? With what?

LeeBoy

Back when I detailed used cars at a dealership we used vinyl dye in spray cans. I don't know how well it lasted since we only did it to make the cars look good to move them quickly. Perhaps someone else knows of a proper long lasting way to do it. I don't think you will want to use paint of anykind.
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

r73mopar

i've used the vinal dye in cans and it seems it usally lasts a couple of years on vinal tops. this is what i used on my 73 until i finally stripped the car.

hutch

I dont know about "re-painting" a vinyl top.  If you have to repaint that thing It might be time to take a peek at any rust issue you might have under it and replace it.

If not, I would go with Dye over paint.  SEMs.

:Twocents:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

1969chargerrtse

In the 80's I painted a triple green Charger a black interior and top with vinyl spray cans and it looked great and lasted until I sold the car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

73chgrSE

Quote from: hutch on March 13, 2008, 07:27:19 AM
I dont know about "re-painting" a vinyl top.  If you have to repaint that thing It might be time to take a peek at any rust issue you might have under it and replace it.

If not, I would go with Dye over paint.  SEMs.

:Twocents:

I'm not really ready to go "there". But it was definately painted before you can tell it's not dye. It's just discolored now. I don't think using dye on top of the old paint would be good.

73chgrSE

Well I primed it yesterday after the tornados went through. I painted it and the louvers this morning, had to custom mix some paint though because straight white primer was way bright and looked wierd. Now it looks new again. I'll post some pics soon. :cheers:

74Charger

Never thought anout doing this.

But am very interested in how it turns out. 
Cannot wait to see the pics.
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

73chgrSE

Here are a couple cell phone pics.

LeeBoy

My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

74Charger

Was regular enamel spray paint used?  Or is it a paint speciafically made for painting vinyl?
74' Charger
03' 2500 4x4 CTD

73chgrSE

I used flat white exterior oil based rustoleum to prime it because it was painted before by the previous owner, then custom mixed some satin finish white and almond for the 2 finish coats (thinned alittle for smoothness). I removed the side window louvers and the trim piece under it and taped off all the other trim and brushed the paint on carfully avoiding any build up. Only brush with the grain and you won't see any brush strokes. I told a couple friends it was a new top and they didn't even question it. Then i told them i really painted it and they thought i was lying. :smilielol: