News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Shift point adjustment

Started by AKcharger, July 26, 2005, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

On my 383/727 under full throttle accelleration the engine moves all the way through and past the powerband before it shifts to second.You can fell it pull strong as it increases in RPM then stop pulling THEN shifts. It's not a lag or slip, it just shifts late and wastes power. Is it a simple matter of moving the shift arm on the carb back a 1/4 inch or so?

Thanks

AK

Ghoste

Probably.  There is also a chance that a governor is hanging up for some reason though.  Try adjusting the kickdown linkage first and see if that helps.

RD

Quote from: Ghoste on July 26, 2005, 06:50:11 PM
Probably.   There is also a chance that a governor is hanging up for some reason though.   Try adjusting the kickdown linkage first and see if that helps.

:iagree:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AKcharger

You know...I had trouble with the govenor after the rebuild...hmmmm well I 'll try the linkage 1st before I mess with the transmission guts again

andy74

i am having a similar issue,my 1st to second shift is fine normal driving,but is to early when im on the pedal,if i hold it manually in 1st,2nd or 3rd its fine-been playing with the adjustment,just havent got it quite right yet!

Ghoste

You need to add a little length to the kickdown adjustment.

Paul G

Be carefull. 1/4" will move it way out of wack. Try very small adjustments first. Been there done that.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

8WHEELER

adjusting the kickdown linkage is easy, push it to full throttle and then adjust the kickdown rod that threads so that it will move about 1/4in more while the carb is at full throttle.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

I would start by setting it at the factory setting and finding out if it's off at that point and why before I started adjusting it too much.

AKcharger

Well I have no idea of the factory setting so I guess I'll set it foward about 1/8 or so and see what happens...is that method of full throttle + 1/4 the factory setting?

8WHEELER

Quote from: AKcharger on July 28, 2005, 10:58:53 AM
Well I have no idea of the factory setting so I guess I'll set it foward about 1/8 or so and see what happens...is that method of full throttle + 1/4 the factory setting?

Yes, they word it a bit diferent but that is the basic easy way to do the job. At full throttle the
rod should move 1/4in more, if the rod does not move any at full throttle its not adjusted correctly
and you are probably not getting full throttle.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

John_Kunkel

The factory recommended adjustment procedure is done at idle, not WOT.

With the carb at idle and the trans lever full forward, adjust the top rod so that the rear of the slot rests against the throttle stud. Be sure there is a spring to pull the linkage forward. From the initial setting, the linkage can be adjusted to tune the part throttle upshift points to suit the individual.

There is no requirement thet the trans lever be in any particular position at WOT. If the trans will kickdown at WOT from top gear at around 40 mph, the pressures are high enough to prevent any damage.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger