News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger R/T 440 Restoration

Started by jdiesel33, March 31, 2008, 05:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Hi All,
New member. Great site and forum. I will be a lifelong member.

I just wanted to get some opinions and feedbacks on fixing up the Charger in the pics below. I have always loved Chargers. This one is my dad's. He just passed away in December and I really want to get this car back up to it's glory days. For now, wouldnt be a full blown, original part restoration, just get it street worthy and go from there. I grew up riding in this car with my pops and it would be cool to get this up and running. It has just been sitting for about 15 or so years. I dont think anything major as wrong with it, my dad just starting getting ill and stopped driving it. Unfortunately, I know very little about working on cars so I guess I will just try and learn as I go. I got all busy with work, wife, and kids, and just didnt get around to taking care of business. It is a crime that this has just been sitting there like that. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated and I look forward to posting pics and discussing my progress as time goes by.

Jimmy
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

B5 Charger

Looks like a good start.  I wish I could find my Dad's old '68 but it probably went to the wrecking yard long ago.  Good luck!   :2thumbs:

694spdRT

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your father. I bet he would be happy to see it back on the road again. Good luck with the resto and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Maybe you could post an introduction in the General Discussion area as it gets a little more traffic.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chatt69chgr

Try to get it out of the weather if at all possible.  Couldn't make out much from the pictures but you are fortunate to be starting out with a genuine R/T and with a 440 to boot.  You probably have a complete but it does appear to need a complete restoration.  Fortunately, virtually everything you will need to restore it is available.   Do not throw anything away no matter whether you think it is rusty junk or not.  And document everything with a digital camera.  Good luck.

PocketThunder

This is a good site to look thru for pictures as you go.

http://www.charger.nl/

this is also a good site to read thru. 

www.69hemi.com

I'm suret there is a board member here that might live close to you and would be willing to come over and help get it fired up and rolling again.  And asChatt69chgr said, get it inside a garage or carport or something and get it off the ground as soon as you can.  :2thumbs:

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jdiesel33

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice, encouragement, and website links. All very helpful. I will keep you updated.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes