News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternative sound deading material, FYI.

Started by Back N Black, April 21, 2008, 08:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: ODZKing on August 30, 2010, 09:10:39 PM
Nice jobs.  I like the home made roller.  I could have used it when I did mine.
I used a material exactly like the DynaMat material I've seen at shows. Except it was $16.00 a roll at Home Depot and one foot wide - Duct Wrap.  Looks very similar to yours.  Foil on one side, sticky on the other ... worked great and what a difference it made.  Pictures here:
http://www.retrorarities.com/FloorPans/index.html

Did you layer it or is that alll one layer?
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

ODZKing

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on August 31, 2010, 12:29:32 AM

All one layer.  And I noticed that the foil edges would curl easily so I used foil tape on the seams.  It runs from front to back and you can see the tape seams.  Worked great!!
The entire interior cost around $45.00.  Materials I used are in the pictures (not including the blades and blood - LOL!)

HANDM

Quote from: ODZKing on August 31, 2010, 08:11:10 AM

All one layer.  And I noticed that the foil edges would curl easily so I used foil tape on the seams.  It runs from front to back and you can see the tape seams.  Worked great!!
The entire interior cost around $45.00.  Materials I used are in the pictures (not including the blades and blood - LOL!)

I'm on it!
Gonna go to big orange today and pick me up some Frost King and tape and get on it
Thanks for the great cheaper alternative  :2thumbs:

MORFF

Nice job I am defenitly going eastwood. I got tired of waiting on body guy so i have to wait another couple weeks and me and my father-in-law are going to weld panels my self then i can put the eastwood in nice job man. tks for posting pics.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ODZKing on August 31, 2010, 08:11:10 AM

How well does it keep heat and sound out? Especially heat?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ODZKing

Well, my wife each trip would put her cold water on the floor in a bag leaning near the hump.  After about an hour or so she'd say the ice had all melted and it was warm. Undrinkable, warmer than outside temp-warm. 
She has done that several times this year and the ice melts slowly and doesn't get warm nearly as quickly, and not near as warm as before.
As far as sound, my car windows are not exactly as quiet as a Lincoln, but I can honestly say with the windows open, I can now hear the exhaust from the outside, not through the floor.
I don't know how the DynaMat works, I have never been in a car that had it.  I can say I have seen both materials and the duct wrap I used seems to be the same type material but comes in a one foot roll.  Frankly I thought it was easier to work with than a whole sheet.
I'd be interested to hear jpsycoboy5's thoughts on it.

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: ODZKing on September 03, 2010, 07:44:39 AM
Well, my wife each trip would put her cold water on the floor in a bag leaning near the hump.  After about an hour or so she'd say the ice had all melted and it was warm. Undrinkable, warmer than outside temp-warm. 
She has done that several times this year and the ice melts slowly and doesn't get warm nearly as quickly, and not near as warm as before.
As far as sound, my car windows are not exactly as quiet as a Lincoln, but I can honestly say with the windows open, I can now hear the exhaust from the outside, not through the floor.
I don't know how the DynaMat works, I have never been in a car that had it.  I can say I have seen both materials and the duct wrap I used seems to be the same type material but comes in a one foot roll.  Frankly I thought it was easier to work with than a whole sheet.
I'd be interested to hear jpsycoboy5's thoughts on it.

Well my charger is far from being near this stage but I did use it in my dodge ram this weekend by the transfer case during slow crawling or 2 tracking would always get very hot almost to hot to touch and after using the duct wrap it has cooled the floor a considerable amount and it did make the truck a lot quieter I haven't tried dynamat so idk how it compares to the duct wrap either but it was cheap and did the job
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

NHCharger

Took the Charger out for a test drive, first one in almost 5 years. No main roads, just up and down the side road a few times. Had my infra-red temperature gun. I left one small space on the firewall bare. After the drive and idling in my driveway the temperature on the one spot was 195º-200º. Every place around it with the Eastwood material was 50º-60º cooler. Carpet is not installed so i could get a true reading. I'm thinking about putting a second layer of the material on the firewall area. The headers easily get up to 500º and being a few inches from the firewall it's a real foot warmer.

As far as the sound deadening after 5 years I wouldn't know if it was reduced or not. Plus the back seat, trunk divider, carpet and door panels are not in yet.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

gtx6970

I'm doing a 1970 Cuda for a customer and we are going with fatmat.com over dyna-mat

with a friend of mines recomendation ( he used it in a 1972 Dart resto and says it's  a quality product )

NHCharger

Update. Big difference in road noise between my 72 Charger with no sound deadening and the 71 Charger. And I only did the floors and firewall.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ramairthree

Im just doing reflectix over home made lizard skin,
but your peel and place option looks great!

No adhesive, not big rolls. A smart way to go.

By the way, I thought I found a list on here , or a pic on here that showed a list of the sizes of interior trim screws, sheet metal screws you needed for door panels, kick panels, etc. etc.

Am I crazy, I can not find it now.