News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head swap

Started by CFMopar, October 14, 2005, 01:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Going to be doing a head swap soon and installing my roller rockers. Basicly looking for a how to :P Dont need a step by step I'm sure if I get a general guide I can fill in the blanks.

Thanks
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

gsmopar

CFMopar

firefighter3931

The head swap is no big deal....disassemble and reassemble with the new heads. A few things of note with the e-heads :

(1) with the arp headbolts there is a spec for torque using their moly lube....make sure you apply the moly lube to the threads and follow the normal tightening sequence....in 3 steps.

(2) Antisieze. Get a tube of this stuff and apply it to any bolt that will be fastened to the aluminum head. It will make disaasembly much easier in the future and save a lot of headaches. Use it on the header bolts, rocker shaft bolts, intake manifold bolts, and the alternator mounting bolt...anything that screws into those heads gets antisieze !

(3) Ultra copper permatex. Use this around the intake ports on both sides of the valley pan. Put a bead on both end rails and a dab in each corner for good measure.

(4) Adjustable valvetrain: it's important to set the preload with the lifter on the base circle of the cam. this is easier to do with the intake off so you can look down into the valley area and see the lifter riding on the lobe. If this is your first time assembling an adjustable valvetrain i suggest you do it this way.

Take your time and be patient....any questions, just ask. If you're not sure don't proceed.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

the one thing ill add is,  e-head instructions say to torque the heads to 70 foot pounds using either oil or lube. arp says something totally different.  i believe it was like 60 or 65 with lube and 85 with oil (dont quote me on that though)  so i asked dwayne porter (fast68 at moparts) and he told me he torques them to 80 ft lbs with 30 weight oil.   that was good enough for me so thats what mine are at.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on October 17, 2005, 08:03:01 PM
the one thing ill add is,   e-head instructions say to torque the heads to 70 foot pounds using either oil or lube. arp says something totally different.   i believe it was like 60 or 65 with lube and 85 with oil (dont quote me on that though)   so i asked dwayne porter (fast68 at moparts) and he told me he torques them to 80 ft lbs with 30 weight oil.     that was good enough for me so thats what mine are at.

Thanks Mike, i couldn't remember the exact spec...i was thinking 75ftlbs with the moly but if Dwayne says 80 with 30wt....that's good enough for me.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CFMopar

So just lube the bolts with 30 wt oil and torque them down?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on October 17, 2005, 11:17:02 PM
So just lube the bolts with 30 wt oil and torque them down?

Yep, lubricate the threads on the headbolts.

Ron