News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How did you block heat from inside the car?

Started by b5blue, May 19, 2016, 05:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I've bought thermal insulation from Detroit Muscle Car to install. It is about 1/2" thick foil backed padding you cut to fit. I'm just wondering, aside from the obvious placements along the firewall and exhaust were there areas you found heat getting into the car? As a driver build I'm trying to keep things minimal, no Dyna mat type stick on stuff in case I find myself wanting to remove carpets and padding for repair/changes.  :shruggy: 

rebby

I covered everything, for real. The entire interior is coated in Lizard Skin and I put a Dynamat Extreme like product over that. Personally, I don't think that this is something that you can overdo. As soon as you cover the obvious locations, you're going to get heat absorption as the next logical location until you cover that spot up as well. So on and so forth until you cover practically the entire car. I have not tried it but I'd assume that an infrared camera would show this effect very clearly. In fact, an infrared camera would very likely show you exactly what locations to attack first and with the most coverage.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

pandamarie

I used fatmat through the whole car roof inside door over wheel wells
, covered almost every square inch inside car and trunk, tried dynamat but it kept coming off in the heat, plus it's almost twice the price of the thick fatmat, you can buy it on eBay, took a 100 sq ft roll plus about 20 more ft to do everything, car stays cool in the sun( white car) and is super quite even with 3" exhaust ending by axle, windows down and can still talk to passengers in normal tone.
Also added the 1/2" thick foil backed matting under carpet mostly because I like the extra padding under my feet, helps a little more with reflective heat.
Lizerskin is another great product and can be sprayed everywhere, just did a Mini Cooper with a turbo twin cam Honda conversion and it kept it quiet and cool.

JR

I know this is a stupid question, but have you made sure all the grommets/plugs are installed in the firewall?
I'm only asking because that made a noticable improvement in my car.

Dynamat(or equivalent) really helps too, but if you use it, you have to cover the whole floor/firewall. Just sheets laid out here and there will have little effect.

This is how it should look.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

XH29N0G

A lot of heat got into my car when the heater shut off valve wasn't working properly.   :slap:  I am assuming that this isn't part of your issue, but thought I would mention it just in case.  Otherwise, I would think firewall and undercarriage where the exhaust is. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Yes thanks, new A/C system going in now and that's why I've asked.  :2thumbs: