News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

grille resto

Started by Silver R/T, October 13, 2005, 01:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

how much would body shops charge to restore 68 Charger grille, some usual hair cracks in corners, rusted metal, faded paint, blemished trim
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Body shops will probably charge you time and materials so it depends on how long it takes. Have you tried calling any? Labor rates here in Ohio are probably cheaper than there so it isn't much help if I get you a quote (shipping would be $200-300 round trip).

Aren't you a body man? Why pay someone?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

694spdRT

I can't think of a body shop in my area I would trust to restore a grill.  Most shops are unbolt, unpackage new one, and bolt on anymore.

There is one restoration shop that would probably do it but, that is big, big $$ for sure.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mfr426

My guess would be around a grand for a nice job on a solid grill assembly. That's just a guess but I did it myself thinking that it would cost me that much...

Let us know if you find out.

Thanks

Mfr426

Hey SilverRT, I wanted to sub this work out too but ended up doing it myself. So far it's not nearly as hard as I tought as the grill is not as complicated as I originally thought it would be.

I think if you take the grill off the frame you'll see that it's a good amount of work but if you take your time it's not THAT hard of a project. Just my thoughts...

Shakey

Quote from: Mfr426 on October 14, 2005, 07:11:55 AM
Hey SilverRT, I wanted to sub this work out too but ended up doing it myself. So far it's not nearly as hard as I tought as the grill is not as complicated as I originally thought it would be.

I think if you take the grill off the frame you'll see that it's a good amount of work but if you take your time it's not THAT hard of a project. Just my thoughts...

:iagree:

It is not hard work, just tediuos.

Disassemble everything and get out the sand paper.  I have about 12 hours into mine so far.

Silver R/T

ya wanted to do it myself last winter. tried to unbolt something...well bolts snapped on me, too rusty

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerBill

RT Specialties has the bolt kit...better to use new than even TRY to chase those old rusty threads.

I say go for it. It's time consuming, but at least you'll know it was done right with attention to detail. I put about 30 hrs into the plastic restoration and about another 20 hrs into straightening and polishing the aluminum. If I were to do it for someone I'd have to start at $500 and go up from there just to even make it worth my while...and even at that I'd only be making $10 to $20 per hr. A body shop could cause more damage than anything else...take the time and do it yourself.
Life is a highway...

Silver R/T

well new repro moldings are available so Im not even gonna mess with old ones, theyre scrathed up mostly and would need anodized which would be almost more expensive than repro moldings.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722