News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70's Era 'Bird Resto...... (!!FINISHED!!)

Started by CornDogsCharger, April 23, 2008, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargerkid

The personality is not just the paint. It represents an era and shows the history of the car. If you keep it the way it is you are differentiating this car from all the others

65post

Quote from: 66chargerkid on April 30, 2008, 10:39:20 PM
The personality is not just the paint. It represents an era and shows the history of the car. If you keep it the way it is you are differentiating this car from all the others

Well said.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Charger_Fan

I'd leave it the way it is, too. I'd spit-shine the engine bay & underneath, carefully fix the rust issues & leave it like it is.

Oh well, to each his own, I suppose.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

CornDogsCharger

Well Guys.... I finally started the long and drawn out process of restoring this historical 'Bird.  As bad as many of you hate it... (I hate to see it go too) it will go back bone stock.  I started "REALLY" looking the car over and taking it apart... and let me tell you, this is an absolute Time Capsule!  Besides the paint and a few add-ons, this is a great "untouched" survivor.  Here locally is a man that use to judge Superbirds and Daytonas at the Mopar Nationals during the 80's-90's.  He siad this is one of the best original cars he has seen.  There are so many original 'bird parts that have never been removed or replaced from the car.  Some of the items include..... orig. H-pipe, ext hangers and tips, skid plate K-frame, tail light covers, original winshield (one small chip), correct date coded seatbelts... heck, it still has the original ballast resistor and voltage regulator!  Honestly, it's like this car was built in 1975 and stored away until now. 

I am taking MANY MANY photos of the car throughout the process.  If there are any reference photos that you would like to see, just ask and I'll get them for you.  I'll post a few from last night.  Last night I just removed and catagorized everything on the interior besides the dash.  I guess that will be my next step.  Enjoy the pictures!

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

A383Wing

rav440

is that trunk pan really that bad , that its need replaced ?  :shruggy:

:popcrn:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

CornDogsCharger

I will post better photos of the floor.  The blurry photo was the only one I had at the time.  Even though the car was garage kept most of the last 20+ years, like any other mopar, the trunk seal and rear window leaked.  The trunk has holes throughout the whole center section of the floorpan.  The extensions look to be in nice shape.  Upon further inspection, I found that the dutchman filler panel and the tops pf both quarters have decent size rust holes.  Basically, the entire area below the rear window plug has rust holes.  Since the trunk gutter is rusted on the right side close to the glass... and AMD now offers a nice complete dutchman panel, we will order one of those along with the right side gutter.  I will repair the tops of the quarters. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

BigBlockSam

keep the pics coming . i really dig watching the resto . Rene :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Hard to tell the extent of the damage in the photos, but I would strongly consider making patch panels instead of replacing entire panels that may or may not fit correctly. Of course, the trunk floor will have to be replaced. The only problem there is not being able to use the one piece floor since you would have to remove either a quarter panel or tail panel or both to install it. 
With a little patience and careful welding, patches can be installed that are not even noticable. I'm all for keeping original panels whenever possible. Just my  :Twocents:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

tan top

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 10, 2008, 10:34:51 AM
keep the pics coming . i really dig watching the resto . Rene :cheers:

:iagree:    :yesnod:  keep the pictures comong   :popcrn: ...........  can't see much rot !!!   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CornDogsCharger

If you notice in the pictures above, you will see a brand new tail light panel sitting just below the new trunk pan.  Both parts were ordered from AMD.  They came in on Friday and let me tell you... these are NICE parts.  I have installed the two-piece floors before and this one piece floor is much better by far.  It looks more accurate and is made of a thicker gauge metal.  I know many of you think the floor could be saved but trust me... there are so many holes from one end to the other.  The center section is VERY soft and brittle.  The tail light panel is being replaced because the bondo is so thick on it, a magnet will not stick and plus... there is rust around the edges.  The trunk latch support is in good shape and will be removed and then re-installed.  I am very impressed with the tail panel too.  All of the emblem holes are predrilled and it even includes the wire loops pre-installed.

The decision to replace the dutchman panel is not final.  Once I remove the window plug we will then know the extent of the damage.  The rear section has been rusting for some time now.  After lightly rinsing off the car with water, you can open the decklid and the whole floor is covered.  Since the car was "built" in '75... the rear window channel was filled with silicone and then painted over, I'm sure it was an ongoing battle since the car was new. 

I can promise you that the car will be restored using as many original parts as possible.  If something can be save.... it will.  Will keep the pictures coming. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

hotrod98

I ordered a tail panel for a 69 runner that I have on the rotisserie and I hope it's as nice as the 70 panel that you have. It's also an AMD panel.
I'm trying to locate a real bird project now before starting on my wife's bird clone. I figure the amount of work and cost will be roughly the same and would rather spend the time and dollars on a real one even though the final investment will be much more.

I'll be watching and taking notes as you progress.  :2thumbs:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CornDogsCharger

Monday night I tore into the 'Bird a little more.  Honestly, so far the owner and I have only worked on this car three evenings after work.  I feel like we have gotten a lot done.  The owner is mostly helping during the initial tear down of the vehicle and I'll take it from there.  We completly disassembled the doors.  They look to be very nice and solid.  Next were the fenders.  Once I removed the fenders I noticed that the passenger fender had been replaced within the first 5 years of it's life.  It was replaced with an original Mopar piece from the dealership.  There was very minor damage to the front edge of the inner apron.  Nothing that a hammer and dolly wouldn't fix. 

After removing the passenger side fender I also noticed that the car apparently had a water leak from the get-go.  If you noticed the hinge pillar was covers with seam sealer.  I chiseled out some of it and found a few rust holes in the lower portion of the pillar. 

We removed the front and rear glass.  Believe it or not, the windshield was the original and was actually is really nice shape with the exception of a rock chip which we will repair.  The front channel looked awesome!  The rear channel was a different story.  It was nice for the most part but had some scaly rust just under the lip.  I also started to dig out some of the bondo that was used to cover up rust in the trunk gutter.  It's a sad sight. 

The hood and decklid have signs of rust too.  The decklid was nice for the most part with rust on the rear lip.  The hood appeared to be nice but bondo was hiding more rust on the front lip.  On the driver side the hood framing is cracked and will need repair. 

All in all, there were no major suprises.  The next step will be to remove the dash assembly.  I will do that Thurs night.  Before too long, this thing will be on rotisorie!

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

justin1987

You are making some serious progress on the bird!

MoParMetal

you have any pics of how the brackets mount to the nose and the car?
i've never seen it.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

Magnumcharger

That Superbird obviously needed some TLC. Goes to show that appearances can be deceiving....
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pettybird

Quote from: Magnumcharger on May 14, 2008, 10:04:30 PM
That Superbird obviously needed some TLC. Goes to show that appearances can be deceiving....

you're not kidding!  it looked 100X better than my cars but I don't have rust like that...  weird...

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: MoParMetal on May 14, 2008, 09:55:45 PM
i've never seen it.

I have not disassembled the nost yet.  I might start on that tonight after I remove the dash.... just depends on how long it takes me :)  I did notice that there was some rust in one of the headlight buckets.  So I'll have to repair that.  If you look at one of the previous photos you will see the nose.  There are two c-channels that mount in the same spot where the original bumper brackets would have mounted.  Besides those brackets, the only thing holding the nose to the vehicle was the upper and lower plates.  When I take apart the nose I will take many detailed photos.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on May 15, 2008, 06:46:33 AM
Quote from: MoParMetal on May 14, 2008, 09:55:45 PM
i've never seen it.

I have not disassembled the nost yet.  I might start on that tonight after I remove the dash.... just depends on how long it takes me :)  I did notice that there was some rust in one of the headlight buckets.  So I'll have to repair that.  If you look at one of the previous photos you will see the nose.  There are two c-channels that mount in the same spot where the original bumper brackets would have mounted.  Besides those brackets, the only thing holding the nose to the vehicle was the upper and lower plates.  When I take apart the nose I will take many detailed photos.

Justin
"CornDog"
Justin, looks like your doing a fine job, BUT leave the nose together and leave it to the last part of the restoration........Don't ask me how I know. But if you do, I have the picture the help you out. As for the rust in the buckets thats common and a ez repair as you can tell
Ken
Ken

CornDogsCharger

Well, it's time for an update again.  Lets see..... Last Thursday (5-15) I removed the dash.  Monday evening (5-19) the engine, k-frame, transmission, front and rear suspension, gas tank, and exhaust were all removed.  More rust was discovered in both lower quarters and trunk floor extensions.  Tuesday (5-20) the body was placed on a rotissorie.  Tonight (5-22) I finished removing the remaining items on the inner firewall and engine bay.  I also started sanding areas of the body where a magnet would not stick.  Before the body goes to the dipper I will replace the trunk floor, trunk extensions, tail light panel, dutchman panel, right trunk gutter, and whatever quarter panel repair will be needed.  Once the body is dipped it will then be e-coated.  Now I'm getting way ahead of myself.  Are we having fun yet??

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee