News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Install

Started by Starman417, October 13, 2005, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starman417

Anyone know of a good shop to bring my Charger to to install the steering column and wheel in So. Calif?   I have no clue what I'm doing with the thing.
http://www.starman417.net
Instagram - quags69charger

cudaken

What year Charger?

68 and 69 not that hard. But would like some PIC of your steering box and what is mounted or not mounted to it.

Looks like I will be pulling my 69 Charger's again, cheap headers and 440 is coming out again. If your is a 68-69 PM me and i will take some PIC.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Starman417

It's a 69...here are is a pic of the steering box from above

Does this help at all? 

I do know I need to rebuild the coupler, brought a kit for that. 

Shakey

I don't know any shops in SOCAL but you could probably install it with the help of a friend.

As far as bolting the column in, 7 bolts in total (I think), 4 for the base (get a new gasket) and 3 for the bracket to mount it under the dash (buy the new white spacers from your Chrysler dealer in a kit that has the new seal and spring as well as the shoes - I paid $16.00 CDN).

I found I had to pull the shaft out about 3/4" as it had settled and would not reach the box when the column was installed.

I have pictures, on my other PC.  Sorry.

As far as the steering wheel goes, I have not done that yet.

cudaken

Starman, I know what it should look like, I can look at mine and see that. I also know your's is a 69 as well.

Why I want a PIC of your gear box is simple. There are two way's of un hooking the colume. Easy way is to drive the drift pin from the coupler. It is the big thing that hook's the colume to the steering box. At the very front you will see the drift pin.

If that is the way yours was done, make sure the wheels are straight as you can get then and colume is in TDC. Hook some vise gripps in front of the coupler and line up the splines. With someone in the Charger holding the colume up, tap the vices gipps with a hammer till the drift pin can be drove in.

I just took a quick look at mine, see three bolts coming out of the fire wall. With out crawling under that dash I would say that is all there are. Colume is held by 2 screw's to the dash. I would need again to crawl under to check and pull the filler that covers it. There is allso a cannon plug that need's to be hooked u- as well. Fro, what I have seen of your Charger, should be easy for you. ;)

Steering wheel, if all the stuff is in the colume, that is easy as well. Sense the colume was in TDC and wheels where straight as you could get them. Just line the splines up and tap on with a hammer where the wheel looks center. Center bolt should Be around 25 foot pounds.

Dont be shocked or worried if when driven wheel is a little off center. A alinement will fix that if say 8 degrees off. More than that, use a puller and stap again. It is hard to tell when the wheels will track straight with out the Charger going down the street.

If you want PIC PM me and I will take them.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Starman417

Thx guys and I would definately like some pic's Cuda...I have a buddy who should know a bit more then me about the steering so I will give him ur post.  I have the coupler case with a rebuild kit, gotta figure that out also.

cudaken

Hey Star,  missed read the PIC you posted, I thought it said "here is a PIC of a steering box" not "here is a PIC of my steering box".

Maybe it is the PIC, but I don't see the spline that should be sticking out of the box facing the firewall. I take another look. Maybe that is part of the coupler kit but I have bought 3 boxes totall and the all had the spline on them.

Coupler should be intalled to the column first, it has the female splines that is driven on the the male splines on the steering box.

Don't know if the 440 will be out today, but I will post some PIC.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Starman417

I'll try to get some better pic's of the box, the engine aint coming out so it will be tight but Ill do my best.

cudaken

Here is a PIC of mine hooked up. You will see the coupler, the drift pin I spoke of and the spline that comes out of the box.

I will take more PIC later and be more than happy to talk you throught it on the phone as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Starman417

Thx for the pic Ken....do you have a pic of the interior, where the column enters the firewall...need to know what I'm missing there.

That coupler rebuild kit comes with that pin.

Shakey

Maybe these will help you.

All the parts I needed for my install I purchased from my Chrysler dealer, with the exception of the steering column gasket.

In the second photo, the column is out of the car and standing straight up with the wheel on the floor.  Although there are three provisions for the white spacers, I THINK that only two of them are used to hold the column in place under the dash.

On a side note, the column sat out of the car for a few weeks and "settled".  In other words, when we went to install it, it seemed short and we couldn't figure out why.  It seems that the shaft had receded and we had to pull it out a bit so it would reach the coupler to install it properly.

There is another thread here that might help.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3123.0.html

And the link Chris mentions is also helpful.

http://www.mopar4sale.com/

cudaken

Starman, pulled the colume last night and the battries in my Camera where dead, sorry. Recharging them now like that helps. Depending on what is wrong with the 440 maybe a week to 2 weeks before it goes back in. If you have got yours in by then I will take some PIC.

Shakey posted some pretty good PIC of his out. Do you need any other PIC? If so, what of with my colume out? Under dash PIC?

Cuda Ken

I am back

Shakey

I can also take some pics, if you can wait until Monday as I will be visiting my car this weekend.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Starman417

Thx for the help guys.  Shakey, those two items that you got from the dealer, what are they?  Are they part of the coupler rebuild kit? 

I have the white spacers already and the mount is ready to go...just want to make sure I have all the parts before I attempt this.

Do you guys have any pic's of the install of the steering wheel? 

Ken, think those pic's are pretty much it...appreciate the help

Curt

Shakey

Quote from: Starman417 on October 18, 2005, 06:04:23 PM
Thx for the help guys.   Shakey, those two items that you got from the dealer, what are they?   Are they part of the coupler rebuild kit?  

I have the white spacers already and the mount is ready to go...just want to make sure I have all the parts before I attempt this.

Do you guys have any pic's of the install of the steering wheel?  

Ken, think those pic's are pretty much it...appreciate the help

Curt

Curt,

Click on the DodgeCharger.com link in reply # 10 of this thread.  If you scroll down you will see a post by Chris with a picture of all the items in the kit.  I paid $16.00 CDN.

Then look at the second link in reply # 10 regarding the TSB and the steering columns.

That should get you going.

I can take a pic of my steering wheel this weekend, if you can wait.

Starman417

Shakey, yeah that pic is the rebuild kit...got one already.

I can wait, doubt I will be able to get to this install for a few weeks so no rush.

Curt

Shakey

I don't know if this photo will help you but...

I have never had my steering wheel off so I can't add as to how to install.  I have a spare, that is why I have photos of a wheel installed and loose.

Perhaps someone with some experience can chime in.

Anders

Quote from: Shakey on October 17, 2005, 08:52:44 AM
Maybe these will help you.

All the parts I needed for my install I purchased from my Chrysler dealer, with the exception of the steering column gasket.

In the second photo, the column is out of the car and standing straight up with the wheel on the floor. Although there are three provisions for the white spacers, I THINK that only two of them are used to hold the column in place under the dash.

On a side note, the column sat out of the car for a few weeks and "settled". In other words, when we went to install it, it seemed short and we couldn't figure out why. It seems that the shaft had receded and we had to pull it out a bit so it would reach the coupler to install it properly.

There is another thread here that might help.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3123.0.html

And the link Chris mentions is also helpful.

http://www.mopar4sale.com/

hello,

I'm also rebuilding my steering coupler on my 68 Charger. I ordered new coupler repair pkg from Brad's Auto Parts. Anyway, I couldn't find those white plastic spacers"shims" that attach to column mount. I tried to google but couldn't find on the net.Does anyone have idea where to look for? I would like to find a place that has an internet site and would ship overseas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Antti
Finland
Europe
68 Charger

Lennard

I just asked the question here where I can buy those plastic spacers but I just found them at R/T specialties. :slap:
http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=3748492

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Lennard

That's what you get when you use the search function and then have questions. ;)

bill440rt

Lennard, just a tip. You can still get those from your local Chrysler dealer probably for a lot less than R/T Specialties. That's also the 7-digit Chrysler part number they have next to it in the link. :yesnod:
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lennard

Thanks for the tip Bill, I just picked up 6 steering column spacers for $24 at the Chrysler dealer in town. The part number changed over the years into #4600185.
I also have another question, I have a few steering column brackets and some have an extra bracket welded on.
They all came out of '68 and '69 Chargers. What is the extra bracket for?

gtx6970

I have one of each here.
I'll ck tomorrow and see which one is which

bill440rt

The loose bracket in your pic is exactly like the one in my '69, Lennard. Auto on floor w/PS.
Not sure about the one that is attached to the column, that one doesn't look right.
:cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lennard

The loose bracket came out of my '69 which is also auto on the floor and power steering.
The column with the extra bracket came out of a '69 Charger parts car I have which was also an auto on the floor but I don't know if it had power steering.
I have the same one (with extra bracket) in my '68 Charger with column shifter, but I don't know if it came out of an other car as it was pieced together from several cars before I bought it.

flyboyedwards

is that possibly a 4 speed with P/S bracket? If so, I need one!

Lennard

I don't know, still waiting on someone to tell me the different applications.

gtx6970

Ok,
I just ck'd the 2 columns I have here

the 68 column has the extra support bracket and the 69 does not

But I have no fool proof either one or  both are 100% originals to there respective applications

Rolling_Thunder

my 68 column bracket does not have the extra bracket -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Lennard

Thanks for checking guys. I wonder who would know the definite answer.