News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Balancer Question

Started by Old School, April 21, 2010, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

I was looking at some balancers from Professional Products. They have one that is a neutral balancer that you put a weight on.
The weight is the same for a 383, 400 or 440. So does that mean that I can use the balancer off of my old 400 that I have?

Thanks

Rayzor

They sell a neutral balacer and alot of times include a bolt in counter weight for exteral balnced engines. cast cranked engines and a few select forged cranks used a external weight. I dont know what engine combo is, but balancers are all weighted different between the 400 and 440 engines. Even though they will bolt on it wont be right.

John_Kunkel

Actually, all big blocks with cast cranks use the same external weight on both the balancer and converter/flywheel.

I've been told that the reason the 440 balancer is so huge in comparison to the 383 and 400 is because, for some reason, the cast crank 440 needs more damping in addition to the external weight.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Brian, why not have the harmonic balancer rebuilt ? I wouldn't be wasting time on another 35 year old balancer that will likely have the same problem.  :eek2:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs