News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a Van 727 work in a 73 Charger ?

Started by 3rdgencharger, April 23, 2010, 08:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdgencharger

I just got this 73 Charger, and it has a tired 318 motor. I am not at all concerned with "original" on this car. I just want to drive it while I finish my 73 SE. I have an opportunity to pick up a 360 with a 727 tranny out of a Dodge Van that is "supposed" to run. The 904 in my Charger seems to be good, and it has the slapstik shifter! The Van 727 has a long tail shaft...can I use the Van 727 in a 73 Charger! I know the 727 is a better tranny, but does it make a difference if it came from a truck? I know I will have to have a balanced torque converter if I use the 360 motor, but I do not know if I can just change the tail shaft, or if it is reasonable to plan to use something like this. I have another 73 SE that could use a better tranny, and perhaps the 727 would be good for that car.... ??? Thanks for any help!

RD

they are a one for one swap. dont know if you are asking this, but you cannot use the torque converter from the van unless you knock the converter weights off.  if there is nothing wrong with the 904, i wouldnt worry about it.  but if you do, indeed, need a trans for your other charger, then its a good fit.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

gtx6970

904's are shorter than 727's thus would require a longer driveshaft AND the front driveshaft yoke is larger on 727's -  PLUS most 727's have the larger U-joint and MOST 904's have the small one
it the car is console equipped you need the boss on the tail shaft for the lower console pivot rod

RD

Quote from: gtx6970 on April 23, 2010, 09:36:25 PM
904's are shorter than 727's thus would require a longer driveshaft AND the front driveshaft yoke is larger on 727's -  PLUS most 727's have the larger U-joint and MOST 904's have the small one
it the car is console equipped you need the boss on the tail shaft for the lower console pivot rod

Just to elaborate and be more specific on gtx6970's post:

4 1/8" shorter.  the front yokes on 727 transmissions are different than 904's is true, but many of the 2bbl version 727's to include some trucks used 7260 style u joints.  you will just have to check your application.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander