News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a 69-72 Dodge Semi Truck today. C-600 model #540DD36

Started by ACUDANUT, May 13, 2008, 04:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

No, I meant driving it home from Detroit to KC in the past year.  In the 1960's is would have only cost around 70.00 I bet. :scratchchin:

daytona701

HI, I'm new to this forum. I have a 1973 Dodge C600 dump truck. It has the 361-2 barrel, 7000# Rockwell front axle, 17000 Eaton 2 speed rear 6.14/8.50, 5 speed trans and air brakes. I bought the truck last November on ebay. It was located in Flemingsburg, Kentucky. My wife and I camped our way from Henleyfield, Mississippi to the C600. I drove the
truck home about 740 miles over four days. We had to stop to put on a water pump and new tires. The truck was purchased because I love old Dodges and I needed to haul some dirt and gravel on my property. Last week my neighbor was using the truck when the front driver side split rim broke in two causing the truck to land hard on the front axle. Luckily no one was hurt. The front axle, power steering gear, one new front tire, the front passenger fender and the chassis/frame where damaged or destroyed. I had planned to restore and paint the truck before the accident. I'm asking for help in finding another truck to salvage parts from or a truck that is in good enough condition to use for a replacement for my truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

squeakfinder

Quote from: daytona701 on June 01, 2008, 04:38:32 PM
HI, I'm new to this forum. I have a 1973 Dodge C600 dump truck. It has the 361-2 barrel, 7000# Rockwell front axle, 17000 Eaton 2 speed rear 6.14/8.50, 5 speed trans and air brakes. I bought the truck last November on ebay. It was located in Flemingsburg, Kentucky. My wife and I camped our way from Henleyfield, Mississippi to the C600. I drove the
truck home about 740 miles over four days. We had to stop to put on a water pump and new tires. The truck was purchased because I love old Dodges and I needed to haul some dirt and gravel on my property. Last week my neighbor was using the truck when the front driver side split rim broke in two causing the truck to land hard on the front axle. Luckily no one was hurt. The front axle, power steering gear, one new front tire, the front passenger fender and the chassis/frame where damaged or destroyed. I had planned to restore and paint the truck before the accident. I'm asking for help in finding another truck to salvage parts from or a truck that is in good enough condition to use for a replacement for my truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

Welcome to the site. I'd love to have an old dump truck like that on my place to move dirt around, despite the work involved in keeping it going.

Tod Wilson I think your missing my point. I'm no greenhorn when it comes to trucks. When you have to drive a truck for a living, like the one that started this thread, it Would have been a bitch to drive all day long, up and down hill's on two lane roads, grossing weights of 60,000 Lbs or more. You'd be shifting gears all day long.

It's nothing in this day in age to drive a big truck 740 miles in a day, Daytona 701 took 4 days to do it. Allthough the rig had some problems to begin with, but I'm sure it wasn't cruising along at 70 mph when it was running good.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: daytona701 on June 01, 2008, 04:38:32 PM
Last week my neighbor was using the truck when the front driver side split rim broke in two causing the truck to land hard on the front axle. Luckily no one was hurt. The front axle, power steering gear, one new front tire, the front passenger fender and the chassis/frame where damaged or destroyed. I had planned to restore and paint the truck before the accident. I'm asking for help in finding another truck to salvage parts from or a truck that is in good enough condition to use for a replacement for my truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

Best website I know of to try, would be www.sweptline.org (some old Dodge dump trucks in the classifieds), or one of the Dodge Power Wagon websites. 
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

TruckDriver

Have you ever tried Hanks Truck Pictures forum too? I'm a member there too. Welcome aboard :cheers:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Todd Wilson

Tod Wilson I think your missing my point. I'm no greenhorn when it comes to trucks. When you have to drive a truck for a living, like the one that started this thread, it Would have been a bitch to drive all day long, up and down hill's on two lane roads, grossing weights of 60,000 Lbs or more. You'd be shifting gears all day long.

It's nothing in this day in age to drive a big truck 740 miles in a day, Daytona 701 took 4 days to do it. Allthough the rig had some problems to begin with, but I'm sure it wasn't cruising along at 70 mph when it was running good.

Yeah you would be shifting all day. But back then the power even in the diesels wasnt that great either. No one knew the difference then. Thats back when we had truckers and not steering wheel holders like we do now!

Todd

TruckDriver

Yup, had to love the old "air assist steering" back then :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Todd Wilson

Charger_Fan

Is that chain around the front spring shackle, or the pitman arm?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Scaregrabber

I am quite familiar with those old trucks and love them. I firmly remember grossing 80,000lbs with a CT800 with a 413 and a 5 and 4 trans hauling logs with my older brother in about 1970. We'd hit the hills and it would be a flurry of activity shifting both those boxes at once and within about 2 seconds you'd be down to about 5MPH crawling up the rest of the hill.
At that time the biggest diesel power was a 335 Cummins. Those poor little gaspot Dodges would work their heart out though. A lot of gravel trucks were gaspot and semi's were pretty much all diesel in 1970. When Cat brought out their little V8 diesel (around 245HP I think) around 1968 or so the switch to diesel in straight trucks began.

Sheldon

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 16, 2008, 11:13:35 PM
Send them to me in email and I will host them on my server if you are having problems with file size.

Todd

Todd, do you still have that picture I sent of this truck.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 19, 2011, 05:56:07 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 16, 2008, 11:13:35 PM
Send them to me in email and I will host them on my server if you are having problems with file size.

Todd

Todd, do you still have that picture I sent of this truck.

http://www.job-rated.com/c600/index.html

Todd Wilson

So.......................what ever happened with this truck?  You get it and get it on the road?

Todd

ACUDANUT

No, it's a pasture display still..Looks like a money pit.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 20, 2011, 08:42:38 PM
No, it's a pasture display still..Looks like a money pit.

Thats too bad. I bet a case of beer and we could get it running in an afternoon! Tires would be a tad expensive.

Todd

ACUDANUT

It would be cool to drive it to a Car show...It would be the only one there...Best in class lol.