News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me choose the color **update** A decision has been made (pg.2)

Started by bull, July 27, 2005, 03:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What color would you paint my '68?

TT-1 Medium Green Poly
Black

bull

I am equally torn between two color choices to paint my '68 and I have to decide by January. I know that's a long way off yet but I want to make a committment soon and stick with it. Sorry, I've asked this question before, but please be patient with my indecision.

First off is the original TT-1 Medium Green Poly with examples. Keep in mind the car will not have a vinyl top or R/T stripes.

ChargerHound69

Go with the green, there are plenty of Black chargers out there. :2thumbs:

bull

Thanks Felony. You are correct. But it seems like there are lots of green ones out there too.

Here's another TT-1 example and the paint chart from '68. The TT-1 does not look right on this chart, in fact the chart I have here at home does not list a 'Meadow Green' at all. The TT-1 on my '68 chart looks more like the FF-1 on this chart. Odd.

Thanks to those who contributed pics (whether they knew it or not), especially RTPTRON. Finally, of the green pics I posted I am shooting for the look of pics #1, #4 and #5 (directly below) which clearly match the TT-1 on my chart at home. I don't understand why there are discrepancies on various color charts from the same year but that's the one I like if it's going to be green.

KMPX2

With out a top I would say black

bull

A few nice black ones I kept:

Recharger

I see your avatar says "1 of 74."   If you are concerned about originality/rarity, go green.   Otherwise, go black.   True there are a lot of black chargers out there, but there is a reason.   Nothing looks meaner than a charger in black, assuming it's been done right.   :coolgleamA:   (I'm sure you'll do it right)     

BTW, any idea what size wheel/tires are on that middle black charger?  That's the look I'm aiming for.

bull

I just noticed something on my PPG color chart here at home. It has 'Index no. 8' written at the top left corner of the page while the one I posted on this thread has 'Index no. 6' written there. Does anyone know how many PPG color charts were printed in '68 and how many different TT-1 greens there are? This ought to really screw things up for me.

Recharger

The one I have saved here is also an "Index No. 8."  Looks like the difference is one is Chysler and one is Dodge...the one you posted doesn't have QQ1 and some other Dodge colors.  Looks like the TT-1 code is the same for both though, so that shouldn't add any more options for you.

bull

Quote from: Recharger on July 27, 2005, 04:31:32 AM
BTW, any idea what size wheel/tires are on that middle black charger?   That's the look I'm aiming for.

I'm just guessing but it looks like the typical 275/50/15 on the rear and probably 245 or 235/60/15 in front.

bull

Quote from: Recharger on July 27, 2005, 04:39:46 AM
The one I have saved here is also an "Index No. 8."   Looks like the difference is one is Chysler and one is Dodge...the one you posted doesn't have QQ1 and some other Dodge colors.   Looks like the TT-1 code is the same for both though, so that shouldn't add any more options for you.

Good observation. My chart says 1968 Dodge Dart - Coronet - Charger - Polara - Monaco while the one I posted says 1968 Chrysler Imperial.

Chargerguy74

I voted for green, I like when cars are painted they way they came off the line. Besides, it looks awsome.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Shakey

Paint it the colour you would have chosen if you were ordering the car new from the dealer in 1968.

BB1

Wooh, that TT-1 Medium Green Poly looks awesome, think I'll paint mine that way... when I get a Charger again.   :rotz:   :icon_smile_cool:

Love the wheels too.  :thumbs:
Delete my profile

69DodgeCharger

I would go with black if you are not going to have a vinyl top or stripes. I think a light green color like that would just look a lot better with a black vinyl top and R/T striipe. You are at the same crossroads as me right now. choosing a color and stripe package. If you go with a light body color I would definately want to "highlight" the top and body lines. They are the best part of the cars design in my opinion. Other than the grille perhaps.....
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

MoparYoungGun

Personally, I would go with TT1. One reason is because your car is 1 of 74. Plus, I have always liked the color green on Chargers. But, in the end it is you who has to decide. Good luck Bull, keep us posted on the restoration :cheers: !

dart3404

Quote from: Shakey on July 27, 2005, 06:06:06 AM

Paint it the colour you would have chosen if you were ordering the car new from the dealer in 1968.

:iagree:

but a black charger makes everyone :drool5:

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: dart3404 on July 27, 2005, 09:13:29 AM

Very true, here's an example :drool5: !

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Another thing I'm kind of leery about with the black is the maintenance. I'm not so worried about dust but the scratches that will show. Green would be a lot more user-friendly. I don't really want to be freaking out about the paint wherever I go but I really do like black.

ck1

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2005, 04:33:27 AM
I just noticed something on my PPG color chart here at home. It has 'Index no. 8' written at the top left corner of the page while the one I posted on this thread has 'Index no. 6' written there. Does anyone know how many PPG color charts were printed in '68 and how many different TT-1 greens there are? This ought to really screw things up for me.
pretty sure bull those charts are just for what color that car was available in for that year...........so TT1 would be on a different chart for different cars in the Chrysler divion.........dodge,plymouth etc.   I have the color chart like that at home for dodge and the back of the service manual for 68 cornet, charger has the paint codes too..........but you just tell the store that sell PPG that your charger came in TT1 they will know how to match it for they did my QQ1 for my 68 charger when I did my engine compartment.............
CJK

mustanghater

make it a the big bad green machine :icon_smile_cool:
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

SuBLimE 69

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

bull

Quote from: AllBlueRT on July 27, 2005, 06:23:13 PM
Well bull you have prolly the best painter in Portland doing it.   Did you realize Bill has several GM awards for his skills.
I think he's the best person to ask about varying colors.   I guess he has Blue right now doing some touch up.   Battery exploded when we got back from Woodburn.

I vote the way it came down the assembly line, but you know me.

Yea, I went by Bill's body shop today and was surprised to see old blue there. They had the hood off and a kid was doing a bunch of hand sanding on the area around the battery tray so I had to ask what happened. I couldn't imagine that Tom would have had to do any touch up work but then they told me about the battery. Did that happen after Tom bought it? I think maybe old blue was mad at you for selling her.  :'(

I did ask Bill about the black a few months ago (mostly regarding the body work underneath) and he basically told me I'll be able to paint the car any color I want when he's done. That gave me a lot of confidence about his skill level because the last guy I talked to was reluctant to have me paint the car any dark color because it might show flaws. :flame: Flaws?! Well, I guess that's why I'm on Bill's yearlong waiting list now. I needed a year to save the money anyway so it'll work out well.

Silver R/T

never liked green cars, black would be my pick esp on 2nd gen Charger thats one of best colors
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

Black Kicks A$$, but I really like the Green and thats what I picked :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on July 27, 2005, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: dart3404 on July 27, 2005, 09:13:29 AM

Very true, here's an example :drool5: !

That' Blacknights old car...after looking at the pic of that car, you can't possibly consider anything but black if you have a good body/paint guy...it's just...STUNNING!

SeattleCharger

I'd say the CC1 would look good with the wheels you have.  Consort blue. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Lostsheep

6670charger

I love black on the second gen cars, and would love to own one.  However, that being said, there are so many black 68's out there that the gray would be a nice change.  I've been giving some thought to painting my car some form of dark gray metallic when I repaint it next time.  It would be different from silver.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

PlumBad70

Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

bull

Quote from: 66charger on July 28, 2005, 05:03:05 PM
I love black on the second gen cars, and would love to own one.   However, that being said, there are so many black 68's out there that the gray would be a nice change.   I've been giving some thought to painting my car some form of dark gray metallic when I repaint it next time.   It would be different from silver.

Gray?  ??? My choices are green and black. Some of the pictures might look a bit gray but the first set of pics I posted are all green.

69bananabeast

Rolling Stones said it best  - Painted Black  :P

all joking aside  black really does make the car look meaner , but if i had to go with a green , in which I do since my project 70 has green interior I wouldgo with F4
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

RT/SE

I'd go black but I'm biased since I own a black Charger and just love Chargers in black.............TripleX9

Blusmbl

I have this exact problem.  :P  Personally, I only like the really dark greens.  The medium green just looks too "blah" for my taste.  Especially if you don't spice it up with a black top/stripe combo.

A black '68 Charger is the meanest musclecar ever made.  Anybody remember this one from ebay?
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

RT DAVE

How good a job do you plan on doing with the bodywork?  I would only go black if you are very sure of the skills of your bodyman.  It will look like s*&t unless it's done to perfection.  Just my opinion. 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Dodge-Charger

I have TT1 Medium Green Poly 43647 for 68 by the PPG book. And I would go with that if it is what the fender tag has. Yes there are alot of Black Chargers out there, why do another in my eyes.

bull

Quote from: RT DAVE on July 31, 2005, 09:47:39 PM
How good a job do you plan on doing with the bodywork?   I would only go black if you are very sure of the skills of your bodyman.   It will look like s*&t unless it's done to perfection.   Just my opinion.  

I will be paying through the nose to have the body work done and it will be as good as it can get. One of the top body/paint guys in my region (one of the best in the nation as I understand it) will be on it so the body work will not be an issue.

RT DAVE

Quote from: bull on August 01, 2005, 02:37:51 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on July 31, 2005, 09:47:39 PM
How good a job do you plan on doing with the bodywork?   I would only go black if you are very sure of the skills of your bodyman.   It will look like s*&t unless it's done to perfection.   Just my opinion.  

I will be paying through the nose to have the body work done and it will be as good as it can get. One of the top body/paint guys in my region (one of the best in the nation as I understand it) will be on it so the body work will not be an issue.

Go Black.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

bull

Ok, I have made a decision. Drumroll please. My '68 will be painted....
:o

The original TT-1 green!

After much consideration I have made this decision based on a few major points:

1. I am not a high-maintenance person and I do not like high-maintenance people or things. Black paint on a car is a major high-maintenance headache and I plan on driving the car as much as I can. I asked several people who own black cars what they think about maintaining the finish and almost 100% of them said they hate it and would never own a black car again.

2. I don't want to have to worry so much about the car with two little girls running loose. By the time the car is finished my girls will probably be ages 4 and 6, and at the moment they enjoy messing with the car too much. Granted I'll have a cover on it but there will be too many opportunities for bad things to happen and for dad to freak out. I don't want my girls to hate the Charger because they see it as competition.

3. The car is pretty rare. It's 1 of 74 with the 383/2bbl/4spd combo so originality is an issue I don't want to ignore. Aside from a few updated items such as disc brakes, electronic ignition, X-pipe exhaust, etc., I plan on keeping the car as original looking as possible so it would somewhat defeat the purpose to paint it black.

4. The TT-1 color has grown on me. It seems to be a very unique color and it's not one of the color choices I despise (I won't say which colors those are so no one gets offended).

5. Black looks good at first (and at night) but if you don't stay all over it all the time it looks bad real quick. In bright daylight (which is mostly when you see these cars) you can see all the swirl marks, scratches, chips and dust very clearly. Basically we're back to point #1.

6. Most of you voted for green and I respect your opinions and the opinions of those of you I know fairly well who chimed in on this issue such as River, AllblueRT and 8wheeler.

Thanks for your input! Keep an eye out for pics of a freshly painted TT-1 green '68 by next summer (Lord willing).

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

694spdRT

I think you made a good choice Bull.  I own a black car and it is more difficult to keep looking nice.   

I like to see the rare cars brought back to original.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

All right. Who voted after I made my decision?  ;D I'm glad I made the decision I made. It's very liberating knowing I don't have to think about it anymore and that I won't have to worry as much about the paint job. I'll still worry I'm sure , just not as much.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

I heard that once you go black you never go back, so I guess green is okay to try out first then.  :icon_smile_big:

I'd go black over green though.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 03, 2005, 02:21:03 PM
I heard that once you go black you never go back, so I guess green is okay to try out first then.   :icon_smile_big:

I've heard that too, although it was in reference to something other than paint.  ::)

psykicpup

my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Chris G.

Bull, excellent choice!!! I love the fact that you are painting it it's original color. Black is nice, but my god, in 2 years 80% of Chargers will be that color. There's no looking back now. TT-1 Green baby!   :cheers:

bull

This may sound odd considering my decision but $$$ value never really played into the debate. Ultimately it probably just boils down to my laziness and wanting to avoid all the upkeep of black paint. I agree with many of you who say black looks better and badder, it really does, but if I have my way I hope to drive the wheels off my Charger in the summertime. And goofing around with a black paint job just doesn't sound like my kind of fun.

.030 over 68

My vote is white with black r/t stripe and blackwall tires on stock ralleye wheels.

By the way what is your interior color going to be?

bull

Quote from: .030 over 68 on August 03, 2005, 08:25:29 PM
My vote is white with black r/t stripe and blackwall tires on stock ralleye wheels.

By the way what is your interior color going to be?

The interior will be its original black.

bull

Quote from: Ranger Max on August 03, 2005, 09:18:10 PM
Bull...glad you are going back to original color. I am going back to original color (white)   but I always liked the bumble bee stripes on a 68
are you going with one?

I do really like the stripes but if I'm going to go original I'm going to go all the way, and that means a 17-foot sea of uninterrupted TT-1 green. No stripes, no vinyl top.

MoparYoungGun

Congrats on the great decision Bull, I knew you would choose the right one :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: !

Dr. V

So when are they shooting the color?   In the next couple of weeks? :)

bull

Quote from: Dr. V on August 04, 2005, 11:45:33 AM
So when are they shooting the color?     In the next couple of weeks? :)

No. That's the sad part. It doesn't go in to the paint shop until January. :icon_smile_dead: That gives me lots of time to change my mind again. I was put on a yearlong waiting list to get in the place, which is good because I need that much time to save all the money it's going to cost me.

Gilbert Charger

AT-A-BOY Bull,ANOTHER GREEN CHARGER in the making!!!

YEE-HAW!!!

Steve P.

Hey Bull.. You know I have seen many TOP OF THE TOP paint jobs. If your body and paint guys are REALLLLLLY good, your color choice is great. Today's paints are far better than in the 60's. They can make the color pop right out at you..   If you are still on the fence about if you will like the paint job, have them shoot an old hood or trunk lid..  Paint and body is not cheap. Nor is doing it all over again due to NO LUSTER, NO CARMA or NO EXCITEMENT... If it doesn't give you a hard on,,,,, something is wrong... 

I love that color. Especially with black interior.. The only thing I would do ,( myself ), is put a black Vinyl top on it. That reallllly sets the light greens apart from the crowd...

Good luck buddy.. I know you'll love it how ever you do it.. What's NOT to love??????
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida