News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fram oil filter

Started by metcoll, May 23, 2008, 01:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 31, 2008, 10:56:09 AM
K@N filters are fram filters that have been painted differently.  They are made by the same people.

where did you hear that from?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ACUDANUT

HEHEE, I was just throwing in a anecdotal  that Ghost mentioned that goes around. Sounded good though.  :smilielol:

Ghoste

I think John called it first really, I just broadened the definition.  I'm still not using Fram filters and incidentally, K&N are what I use on the Charger.  :laugh:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Tigger on May 30, 2008, 08:11:52 PM
This response is a little off topic, but you Cummins owners should know about this. A few years ago Chrysler released a Service notice to all dealers about Fram filters. They are NOT on the approved filter list, (your owners manual i believe should tell you which ones are approved). FOLLOW the recommended filter list. Chrysler cannot publicly come out and say do not use Fram filters for fear of law suit by Fram.

Above is a classic example of how things can be taken out of context.

Singling out Fram from a lengthy list of unapproved filters for the Cummins ignores the rest of the brands on the list, many of which have been described in this thread as being among the best.

The Cummins piston oiling jets clogging is a unique situation; the problem isn't with any "adhesive", it is common to any filters that have neoprene internal components (that's just about all of them). To be approved for use in the Cummins, the filters must contain no neoprene components.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tigger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 31, 2008, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: Tigger on May 30, 2008, 08:11:52 PM
This response is a little off topic, but you Cummins owners should know about this. A few years ago Chrysler released a Service notice to all dealers about Fram filters. They are NOT on the approved filter list, (your owners manual i believe should tell you which ones are approved). FOLLOW the recommended filter list. Chrysler cannot publicly come out and say do not use Fram filters for fear of law suit by Fram.

Above is a classic example of how things can be taken out of context.

Singling out Fram from a lengthy list of unapproved filters for the Cummins ignores the rest of the brands on the list, many of which have been described in this thread as being among the best.

The Cummins piston oiling jets clogging is a unique situation; the problem isn't with any "adhesive", it is common to any filters that have neoprene internal components (that's just about all of them). To be approved for use in the Cummins, the filters must contain no neoprene components.

Hmmm, taken out of context, this thread is talking about Fram filters(nothing more, nothing less). I'm not debating any other filters except Fram.
:shruggy:

squeakfinder

I used Fram oil filters for years without problems (but never on a high performance engine). Then as John stated "I heard they were junk." and I stopped using them. As a matter of fact, the guy behind the counter at NAPA was one of the people who told me they were junk. :scratchchin:

Anyway, when you walk into Wallmart, what do you see? An isle full of Fram filters. Gee, do you think Fram compromised there quality to keep there prices low enough to sell there filters in Wallmarts store?  :eek2:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Challenger340

I'm in the Engine "Business"

We Dyno every engine we build, and cut apart all Oil Filters for inspection as part of the Break-in process.

The following is a true story from 2 yrs ago;

We ran in a Customers Original 426 HEMI Charger Engine, cut apart the Filter, Half the paper Element was Missing, just plain old "wasn't there" from factory
Took Photos Immediately
Took Engine off Dyno
Contacted Owner

Now, if it was you or me, contacting the Oil Filter Company, I think the response from the Rep. might have been

"Geez awfully sorry 'bout that, here have a six-pack of free Filters", over the phone.

But, when you are "Mr Big" C.E.O. of un-named Oil Company here in Calgary,

and it's "HIS", documented HEMI Charger,

The Oil Filter Rep Flew in next Day.

Next thing we new we were dis-assembling, changing anything even remotely suspicious or dirty, re-assembling, and re-Dyno'ing, all on **** Oil Filter Companies Nickels.

Wonderful, that warranty work !

Who says Oil Filter Companies don't stand behind their product ?

True Story

Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Tigger on June 01, 2008, 05:40:10 PM
Hmmm, taken out of context, this thread is talking about Fram filters(nothing more, nothing less). I'm not debating any other filters except Fram.
:shruggy:

Your post stated that "Chrysler released a Service notice to all dealers about Fram filters." which is incorrect, they issued a TSB (TSB 09-004-01) with a list of approved filters; all others not on the list, including Fram, are not approved. There was no letter singling out Fram.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: Challenger340 on June 02, 2008, 02:04:50 AM
I'm in the Engine "Business"

We Dyno every engine we build, and cut apart all Oil Filters for inspection as part of the Break-in process.

The following is a true story from 2 yrs ago;

We ran in a Customers Original 426 HEMI Charger Engine, cut apart the Filter, Half the paper Element was Missing, just plain old "wasn't there" from factory
Took Photos Immediately
Took Engine off Dyno
Contacted Owner

Now, if it was you or me, contacting the Oil Filter Company, I think the response from the Rep. might have been

"Geez awfully sorry 'bout that, here have a six-pack of free Filters", over the phone.

But, when you are "Mr Big" C.E.O. of un-named Oil Company here in Calgary,

and it's "HIS", documented HEMI Charger,

The Oil Filter Rep Flew in next Day.

Next thing we new we were dis-assembling, changing anything even remotely suspicious or dirty, re-assembling, and re-Dyno'ing, all on **** Oil Filter Companies Nickels.

Wonderful, that warranty work !

Who says Oil Filter Companies don't stand behind their product ?

True Story

ok, i'll bite.. which filter company :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

jerry

my 69 A12 road runner has had a fram filter on it since the second oil change after buying it new.when can i expect it to blow apart?? :hah: :hah:

RallyeMike

Quotemy 69 A12 road runner has had a fram filter on it since the second oil change after buying it new.when can i expect it to blow apart?? hah hah

It might not. But if it does, you wont be crying in MY hankie.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Challenger340

Quote from: jerry on June 03, 2008, 09:41:15 PM
my 69 A12 road runner has had a fram filter on it since the second oil change after buying it new.when can i expect it to blow apart?? :hah: :hah:

Your call,
if you think the quality these days is the "same/same" as the ones you got when it was new ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

bordin34

I have 2 Allied Signal FRAM filters in my garage. This was before Honeywell aquired FRAM. Are these filters better than the new ones and do they have the cardboard ends?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ