News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changed the cam and now the timing is way off.

Started by 2Gunz, June 01, 2008, 06:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Ok so..........

I changed the cam out and now my timing is way off.

Its running at about 30 degs ish before TDC

I didnt do anything special, when installing the new cam.... just put everything back
exactly as I found it.

Ive done it once before with great results, but this time not so much.

The car runs and acts fine, and now the throttle is more crisp than before.

It appears to have allot less torque than before, but Im not sure it thats because
I have new tires that hook better or what.

So my question is..... what the hell have I done and how do I fix it.

And just to be clear....

Cylinder 1 is the drivers side front? And you clamp the Cylinder 1 Plug correct?

Thanks!

aifilaw

First, its obvious you are talking about ignition timing and not cam timing, so I will address that.
When puklling the cam you have to take out the dist. gear, the odds of getting that back in exactly where you had it are about 1 in 20 if you paid attention.
Cylinder number 1 is driver-side nearest the front end. Plug wire number 1 is what you hook the timing light up to.

In reality setting timing using a light is a ballpark, always will be. The only true way to set your timing is with a dyno.
But a timing light, and a vacuum gauge and a couple plug runs and you can get pretty darn close with some effort. Forget what your timing was set at before, play with it and see where you get your best performance. I'll assume you bought a higher duration cam, and thusly don't set at idle. Set for the cams operating RPM.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

What are the old cam specs compared to the new one ? Was the new cam degreed in ? New timing chain ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs