News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would happen if your Charger was stock and 2006 pulled up next to you?

Started by cudaken, October 16, 2005, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fuchs

I was driving a 383 magnum 69 charger on a cruise in June, and I had an 06 charger behind me.  No matter how I drove, he stuck to me like glue!  I couldn't shake him on the straight shots, he was right there in my mirror.  The new cars are ugly, but there is no doubt they have some snort.  The 6.1 will be better yet, if a normal person could afford one.(and they looked good enough to buy!!!!)

TheGhost

Quote from: RD on October 16, 2005, 11:40:50 PMThe 06 will not carry this

Does any new car truly carry the heritage of the old ones?  The Mustang, that's about it.  Which has remained basically unchanged, in the 40 years of it's continuous production.  Too many people expected the new car to live up to the old one.  I didn't, because I knew that wouldn't happen.  Which is why you don't see me bitching about the new car.  I accept it for what it is, because I know what it can never be, what NO new car can ever be, and therefore do not hold it up to those high expectations.  NOTHING will ever live up to the classic Chargers, or the classic Challengers, or Superbees, or Roadrunners, or any other classic Mopar.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

RD

I had a great big post to reply with but decided it wasnt worth it.  deaf ears and all.

the car will not be accepted by this community.  If you do not understand that, then you are not in tune with this community.  sorry to say, but I believe the majority will side with me on that.

I will not allow myself to hijack this thread anymore than what I have done already.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Lowprofile

Nothing. Just because I drive a big, badass 60's-70's era musclecar, I don't have to act like a tool at every stoplight....... Well, maybe just once.....  :drive:   :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

andy74

i smoked the 1st 06 that came into our dealership-on the street right in front of the dealership.some points have to be made,and at least all the techs and salesmen got to see REAL power,not computer chip elctronic cup holder wanna be! the 6.1 will be very fast,there is no doubt,but it is still fuggly,and the big ass scoop doesnt help-its a sedan for crying out loud!

six-tee-nine

I dont' mind the new Charger beating the old one......it still looks like shit i think.....that's one part the new one will never do better in....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

RT DAVE

I wouldn't do a damn thing.   If I took the time to street race a family sedan where would I drawn the line?  I wouldn't waste my time street racing anything  to begin with, but a family sedan wouldn't even get my attention.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

gsmopar

Quote from: cudaken on October 16, 2005, 12:06:01 PM
With all the bashing on the new 2006 Charger just think you guys need to reflect a little. What would happen if your Mopar was pure stock, hood never open no super tune, stock tires. What would are Charger do better than the 2006?

I don't leave anything stock, I like the new charger, and will be picking up an SRT8 Magnum or Charger sometime in the near future.

RallyeMike

I could never bring myself to owning a completely stock Charger, but if I did, and a 2006 Charger pulled up next to me I STILL wouldnt notice it !

If they had named the exact same car the Diplomat, Aspen or some other past Dodge name, nobody here would think twice about it. It's just a cheap plastic badge on a car that has nothing in common with the ones we love (nicely stated by RD), so get over it and hate something worth hating. Like scrambled eggs. Yuck   >:(

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

derailed

I guess this question is based on personal opinion, all i can say about the 06 charger is to each his own. As long as my money isnt paying for it i really dont care what a guy drives and if the owner likes it, ill respect that, its his money. I myself would never own one and being a GTO fan as well i wouldnt own a new Goat either, but thats my opinion. I think out of the 3 cars, the Mustang design is the only one worthy of the name. My car being a bone stock 440 and a one legger, I would probably expect to get beat in a race.

Ghoste

With the computerized fuel and spark management available today, the new one should do more.  A stock 340 would shame most flathead V8's from the early days of rodding.  This is no different to my mind.
Most buyers, in fact the overwhelming majority, of the 06 will be looking for a midsize family car and not a street race.  There will be even fewer at sanctioned strips.

morepower

I think itd give all the stock cars hemi's included a run for its money..if not beat them.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

04lbram

I myself am not worried about it even though I own a Challenger. However my dad owns a 72 Rallye Charger. I will say this line when I drive by the dealerships with girls with me showing them the cars. They say that's an "ugly car and I don't like it." This came from two different girls.

DutchMaster

Wow, you guys are really talking a lot of smack about my baby. No need to get rowdy - lol. Most 06 Owners are only looking out their windows at you because we admire the ancestors of our cars. Its funny how you guys that own the older chargers are like old men, not liking anything new because of your "its not how it was in my day" attitudes. '06 Owners are just happy to be part of the family, even tho (and we will admit it) we are a distant relative. Please do not make the mistake of taking the '06 as a standard sedan, because it isnt. Its not a toyota camry.

Bottom line: We can all love our OWN cars more than anyone elses. It just pains me to hear you guys completely TRASHING the new charger - when we just want to admire the older ones. You will not find a single '06 owner talking badly about a 70-ish charger. Modern regulations make it nearly impossible for the new charger to be as nasty as the old ones. Times are changing and so are the cars.

In addition, for anyone to say the new charger is 'fuggly' - I think you're delusional. I hate mustangs, but I can admit its a hot looking ride. The ladies LOVE the car. Just look at that pretty face!!

Troy

Hey DutchMaster, I can partially disagree:
In my very own personal opinion, I can't stand the looks of the new Charger and that really has nothing to do with the name. Of course, I also cringe whenever I look at an Oldsmobile 442 but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate its performance. Everyone has different tastes visually but you would think that "car guys" could give a little respect to performance - especially within the same brand. That's ideal of course and doesn't necessarily translate to the real world. I am a huge fan of technology and modern muscle but I am still very picky about looks.

You have to realize that the majority of members here are primarily interested in the older cars although we do have many that like the new ones as well. There's lots of threads on the same subject in the General Discussion section too. Some members happen to be a bit more vocal in their opinions than others so try not to stereotype everyone. The nice part about being car guys is that we don't have to like exactly what everyone else likes but we can still have some common ground.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger4404spd

Might not be as bad if the damn thing wasnt so ugly! Alot more of us would probably even like it if it wasnt a 4 door sedan. So it has a HEMI, does that qualify it as a MUSCLE car? I think not. In my opinion, its probably pretty damn fast gettin to the grocery store for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk, but Im older and set in my ways, so give me the real MUSCLE!

10 sec vette

Quote from: Charger4404spd on November 11, 2005, 03:09:52 PM
Might not be as bad if the damn thing wasnt so ugly! Alot more of us would probably even like it if it wasnt a 4 door sedan. So it has a HEMI, does that qualify it as a MUSCLE car? I think not. In my opinion, its probably pretty damn fast gettin to the grocery store for a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk, but Im older and set in my ways, so give me the real MUSCLE!

Sounds like a new 06 Charger kicked a bit of sand in your face and you could not catch him...... so sad. :'( :'(

Runner

Quote from: Charger4404spd on November 11, 2005, 03:09:52 PM
Might not be as bad if the damn thing wasnt so ugly!

but hey, what do you expect from dodge!!   plymouth all the way baby!!! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_shock: :yesnod:        .......................... i guess i have a different idea of what muscle is.     if it can woop my butt then it denfinatly has more muscle than me. the new charger can beat up on a couple of my families old iron, but not for long,   soon to be a hole family of bigblocks   :devil:     

just yanking your guys chain about all dodges being ugly...   coronets are an exception     :icon_smile_blackeye:

again just playing around! i dig all chargers up to about 74. my favorite is the 71. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Spartan

Hey, my Mom's 80 Reliant K-car station wagon with racing woodgrain had a 1.6 Hemi, does that make it a muscle car?! :o ;D
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Ghoste

If you can tell a good enough story in a bench racing forum it does.

Spartan

lol, my only claim to fame with that thing (and this before I had the green monster so it has to be at least 22 years ago) was that I raced a guy in a Camero back to his house with it.   With some creative driving, I beat him to his house and did a donut in his front yard and blew past him on the way out. He was trying to fool around with my girlfreind at the time and I hate Camero's so it was like double happiness.   Ah, being young and stupid......

Got me thinking, a guy that is doing my dad's body work graduated from highschool with my younger sister.   He out of the blue asked me "what ever happened to that green beast you used to drive? wasn't it a charger?"   and I replied with a big grin "Well, you may be seeing it next year for some body work!!!" he went   :o :o :o   Nice to know that after that many years, nobody forgets the green monster!
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

RTPTRON

If an 06 Charger pulled up next to my all stock 68 Charger RT 440 we would both be sitting next to a very impressive automobile.  The 06 Charger would be sitting next to a very impressive piece of MoPar muscle car history and my 68 Charger RT would be sitting next to a very nice high performance daily driver.  When the light goes green I would have to watch the SRT 8 pull away.  If the 06 Charger was the low end stock HEMI the story would most likely be different.

I have seen some really beautiful 06 Chargers lately.  I think my next daily driver may be one of the lower end HEMI Chargers.  I see the SRT8 as more of a special interest hobby car.  For the $40,000 price tag I can pick up another very nice piece of MoPar muscle history.

I really have a difficult time understanding the hostility on either side of this issue. If I was ready for a new daily driver it would either be the new Charger, the Magnum or the 300C.  These cars are the best in class.  Why would you buy anything else.

My 1968 Charger RT is so damn cool I can just sit and look at it all day.  It sounds so damn good I can just start it up and just sit and listen to it until it runs out of gas.  It is a toy.  It would not make a very good daily driver.

You have to look at the 06 as transportation and your clasic MoPar muscle as a toy.  In this light they are both beautiful.

Ghoste

I think DCX created a lot of the animosity when they greeted the initial outcry by pointing out how old Charger lovers were out of touch and stuck in the past and that the new Charger was the only Charger and that they had purposely tried to distance themselves from the obsolete Charger.  Then, they turn around and use the classic Charger at every opportunity they can to help sell the thing.
So, quite angered, we all jumped on our soapbox and the new generation owners are just firing back.   We likely made the first throw, but Chrysler made the snowballs.