News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would happen if your Charger was stock and 2006 pulled up next to you?

Started by cudaken, October 16, 2005, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fuchs

The srt8 are in the 12's, so there is no denying the fact that they are fast.  I don't even think the cars are ugly.  What does get under my skin is the fact that mopar had the audacity to think they could pass off a boxy, square, four door sedan as a charger.  It makes me wonder who mopar is marketing this vehicle to.  It sure isn't me,  I'd rather jump ship and get a new mustang--at least they live up to their heritage.  At 40k +, I will not be buying an srt8, but if I did, I would enjoy it.  It is like riding a moped. It is a lot of fun 'till someone sees ya!!!!
Now to the question---Line up a new hemi charger against my 68 hemi charger.  I'd run him any day.  But not an srt8, I've got more sense than that.

Ghoste

Suppose your 68 Hemi had the benefit of computer controlled spark and fuel management?  Would you run it then?

andy74

a digital fuel injected 440,hmmmmmmmm makes me think.if a 6.1 liter can make 425 horses,what would a 7.2 liter do?that would be serious kick ass! i think creed is a dick

greenpigs

Well if my turd wagon was driveable I wouldn't bother running anyone in an 06,what is the point? For the price most will be owned by older people who are well aware of the old Chargers. Who is to say they don't own an older Charger or other Mopar and just wanted a rear drive HEMI that wasn't a truck.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

74ChargerSE

DutchMaster,

IMHO, we think the '06 is ugly because we remember how great the older ones looked, but even more because we got the image of the earlier concept (1999/2000, I think) in our heads.  It was certainly inspired by the earlier cars in the way the current Mustang owes its looks to its forefathers.  When I heard they were re-introducing the Charger, I and I suspect a lot of other Mopar fans thought we were getting something close to the concept.  The Crossfire had come out almost exactly as its concept.  No offense, but what we got was a thinnly disguised 300C/Magnum with a subtle body line that appeared to be an afterthought.

The '06 is a good, maybe even great, platform.  I can live with the four-doors, but I hope DCX does something about the sheetmetal.

Just my $0.02

deputycrawford

I just had to say something too. I was in my 69 at a stop light this summer. A guy in an 06 pulled up next to me at a light, rolled down his window and said " Nice Charger; I have one too." I leaned over and said "That's cool; where is it?" He gave me a dirty look and rolled his window up. Oh, and my big block has around 450HP, a 4.10 gear and a 9 1/2 inch converter and drag radials. My 1.80 60 Ft was too far ahead of his semi Hemi engine. They haven't made a Hemi since 1971. I will be buying a Mustang for my daily driver. They haven't made a charger since 1974 I am less upset about it but I have to agree with many. A semi hemispherical combustion chamber and a boxy 4 door is not a reason to start an advertising campaign blitz to start a frenzy. It is kind of a nice looking car and a great driver from what I heard; but I will never own one and probably never drive one. Oh, and I would take on any 06, including the SRT, from a stop light. Im not afraid. Like many have said, I get noticed the 06er won't.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

4402tuff4u

I know alot of us, including me, don't care for the new magnum because it was given the Charger name/title by a group of designers that totally missed the boat. But I think it would be in our poor judgment to be hostile to the guy that is driving the new Charger. Just because he bought a car that performs and looks "ok" as a magnum and was given the name "Charger"   by a bunch of nitwits is not reason enough to treat him as "inferior". I don't think Mopar enthusiasts and owners, especially RCO's (real Charger owners) should be viewed as pricks, scumbags or just plain assholes. Their is already a bunch of those in this hobby. I think I've met several - including some local Mopar owners that can't be bothered to offer anything to the hobby or to anyone that admires their car. Anyway, I think I would be polite and basically talk to him about my Charger, ask him what got into him to buy a magnum named "Charger" and maybe learn something. Then I would show him what a real Charger looks like pulling away from him as he tries to keep up with his magnum. :icon_smile_wink:     
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

deputycrawford

I suppose I have been alittle harsh with the new "Charger" owners. They are an aggressive looking car and a good performing car too. I guess I just get alittle  miffed by the guy who plops down some cash and wants to be a part of a hobby that takes blood sweat and tears to restore a car so the name can live on. I rebuilt mine and made it better. The stop light guy thinks he is part of my crowd and hasn't done anything to prove he can re-engineer a car and expects to be respected the same. I guess its all about the rebuild. I should be welcoming to a guy who buys a car to get into the hobby of cars so the car hobby can continue to be a factor in the american culture. Everybody starts somewhere. Maybe the stop light guy gets a taste of the hobby and gets an old one too. That would definately connect the new guys with the old guys.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Ghoste

Well, I said back when they first announced it would be a family car that a huge chunk of the market will go to "Walter Mitty's" who could never buy anything so impractical as an old musclecar even though they secretly long for one.  This gives them the "name" to convince themselves it's a Charger, and the four doors to justify the purchase to Mrs. Mitty.
And I still think we will see very few SRT models out there.  A great car but it's niche rests with the other Euro touring sedans.  The car has more in common with a BMW than a 66 to 74 Charger.

ChgrSteve67

Cruising home last Saturday night in my 67 Charger (Freeway traffic leaving San Francisco so were are doing about 5 mph) a car load of people in a Lexus get right beside me and the first thing they said was "Do you want to sell your Charger?". They asked about 50 questions thrilled about what they were looking at and seeing roll down the road.

It doesn't matter how much technologically Superior they make the new Chargers they still won't be as cool as the Chargers made in the 60's and 70's.

ChargerMad

Hi,
This is an interesting subject. I have always liked all the old school chargers, from 1st to 3rd gens. The new 06 Charger looks nothing like our old school ones and some might say it doesnt deserve to be called a Charger. Either way, i personally think its a nice looking car, and would prefer it over any one of those rice rockets ut on the streets. Being a four door makes it more practical for the family i guess, and with its performance, makes it a car you can have some fun with. Basically, im saying that Dodge have produced a great allrounder. However, the thing that eats away at me is, how can they produce the new Dodge Challenger and make it look similar to the original and not do tjhe same thing with the Charger?  :icon_smile_angry:

I got a 68 R/T Charger, and would have it over the new oine anyday. I think performance statistics dont matter, old chargers sound nicer, look nicer and obviously get more respect. They win hands down. Lets face it, any 1st-3rd gen charger would be more exciting to drive. Especially when that magnum starts using its 375 horses. I even think that the new 06 would struggle with a old school 440 Charger.

But hey, everyone has their own personal opinion and weve all got to respect that.

Kryp2nitE

Ghoste

Do you suppose on the 4 door charger forums they pose questions about what to do if a classic pulls up?

HDCharger

I'm like most of you guys, I was dissapointed when the "new" Charger came out.  However, its not a bad looking or performing car and the 1st run of the original wasn't the most popular either (No offense 1st Gen guys).  Diamler may get smart and put in more retro styling cues in the next version. 
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Ghoste

Actually, the 1st gen sold pretty well when you take into account the fact that almost the entire run of 1966 through 1967 accounted for only a small amount longer production than the new thing.  Unlike today, where Dodge started the year several months early, the 66 was introduced when the model year was nearly over.  With a smaller population base, I'd say it did pretty well especially considering the bloom fell off the fastback rose about two years prior to Dodge bringing it out.

CFMopar

If I recall the new chargers are mid 13 cars no? Maybe it was the alt or temp or something that made the best time mid 14s..  I dont think many bone stock 440's ran mid 13's... to many varibles...

Either way I like the black ones like dutch's but thats the only colour I like. The more I look at it the more it grows on me... But I'd like an srt8 magnum first :D
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

Apparently the SRT8 can run that time, but that's the big dog engine.  Fact is, after more than three decades of development, the new SHOULD do everything better!  They should also have a better clue into styling a dealing with public sentiment too.

CFMopar

the srt8 is supposed to be in the high 12's I got  mag with the 5.7 that says it runs 13's ill find it...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

I'm going to remain a skeptic on the published magazine times I think for now.  I won't go as far as saying "no way", it's just that my experience had been that magazines lie.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger_lady

dodge freak

I know what would happen if a new charger did a dukes of hazzard jump, the air bag would go off and the frame would crack. Like the one guy said 30 years it should run better. But why stock, the new charger does not have a carb. and other 30 year old stuff so why should a old one have it. A better thing to compare is what would happen if two chargers both costing the same amount of money would race together. Take a old duke car say its worth $20,000 and put $15,000 in to it then race the two. I wonder what would happen then.

deputycrawford

As much as I like to hate the name put on a german four door. I have to say that they have 90 more horse power than my 05 Crown Vic. they have stability control to keep people from rolling them over. My Crown Vic does not have that. Oh, I blow through my brakes every time I'm going Code Three (lights and siren). The charger has bigger rims, tires, brakes, and engine. I would drive one if I was issued one for patrol. I just wish they would re-name it. I would even buy one if they made it a two door with a little more retro looks like the new Challenger did.