News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My very first real website

Started by Arthu®, June 16, 2008, 05:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthu®

I have always experimented with websites a bit, mostly FrontPage and WYSIWYG editors from for example Yahoo. But this is the first time that I really build one from scratch. I used Dreamweaver CS3. It's in dutch so most of you won't be able to read anything, it's not complete yet either, it still needs a lot of content. But the layout is there and it seems to work. Just wanted to show it off a bit. It's a school project for my gf, who's a mess with computers, and since I kind of wanted to learn it I stepped up. The scroll bar was a bloody irritating to make, but I finally got it to work.

Good critizism is always welcome, I know there are some guys on here who do this kind of stuff for a living. Just bear in mind that I had 0 experience with dreamweaver before I started on this yesterday. So I probably have no idea what you would be talking about if you start about codes and stuff.

http://evwillegen.awardspace.com/index.html

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Brock Samson

i like the colors but i have no idea what i just read though...  :shruggy:
she's really pretty too!  :2thumbs:

Drache

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 16, 2008, 10:30:35 AM
she's really pretty too!  :2thumbs:

Dutch isn't too far from German  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its kinda small IMHO.....I have a 19" monitor & it fills up only a third of it.  The layout looks user firendly althouhg I hate scrolling... :Twocents:

PS---- tell your girl she's very pretty.  You are a lucky man :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SeattleCharger

Looks good, works well, lots of links, etc.,   the only thing I noticed, which isn't a big deal, is when reading the main home page the margin on the right of the main text (between the main text and the space bar) seems slightly to narrow, no big deal though,
   I was just thinking last night how I really want to be making a website for my business.  I did a web design class in school making them from scratch with html code, but it was a pain to make even a simple one.   I am interested in the dreamweaver thing you used? 
   Hey Arthur,  did you ever manage to see the movie "King Arthur" starring Clive Owen yet?   good movie.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Arthu®

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 16, 2008, 11:12:31 AM
Its kinda small IMHO.....I have a 19" monitor & it fills up only a third of it.  The layout looks user firendly althouhg I hate scrolling... :Twocents:

I am kind of stuck to the 750 pixel width, that's in the assignment. And since she really liked the background image (I'm a solid color kind of guy, I hate the background) and I think it's ugly as hell when the background image is repeated I needed to add the scroll piece.

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 16, 2008, 10:30:35 AM

The first page is just the wikipedia page of the word text... Needed a long piece of text to see if the scroll element would work.

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on June 16, 2008, 11:39:58 AM
Looks good, works well, lots of links, etc.,   the only thing I noticed, which isn't a big deal, is when reading the main home page the margin on the right of the main text (between the main text and the space bar) seems slightly to narrow, no big deal though,
   I was just thinking last night how I really want to be making a website for my business.  I did a web design class in school making them from scratch with html code, but it was a pain to make even a simple one.   I am interested in the dreamweaver thing you used? 
   Hey Arthur,  did you ever manage to see the movie "King Arthur" starring Clive Owen yet?   good movie.

Since you recommended it in the movie quotations thread I first downloaded it and I really liked it, I'm not really a mideivel movies fan, but it was actually pretty good. So I bought it on DVD.

I also already noticed the margin is a little narrow, I'm trying to figure out how to fix that at the moment.

I use an student licenced version of Dreamweaver CS3. It is available through other "cheaper" sources as well, but if you were to buy it in a shop you would have to spend quite some money. Also the thing is you would need a image editor as well (such as Photoshop CS3). I really like Dreamweaver now, I was a little clueless at first. I downloaded 2 great tutorials from Lynda. Also available through the "cheaper" sources. I got the Essential Training tutorial which covers all the basics really well and I got the Beyond the Basics tutorial for the further deeper information. I really recommend those 2.

And thanks for all the compliments, I do consider myself lucky...

Arthur

dodgecharger-fan

In Firefox, only the wikipedia article shows up.

No images, no menu along the top.

It does show up in Internet Explorer and in an IE tab within FireFox, but not native FireFox.

Other than that, the layout looks great.

Nice work!

Arthu®

Which version of FireFox are you using? I'm using FireFox 2 and it shows up correct in my browser. Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Arthur

Mefirst

Arthur :cheers: Never knew you were so good looking :rofl:

Arthu®

Quote from: Mefirst on June 17, 2008, 02:41:20 AM
Arthur :cheers: Never knew you were so good looking :rofl:

You learn something new every day, right?

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Arthu® on June 16, 2008, 04:07:48 PM
Which version of FireFox are you using? I'm using FireFox 2 and it shows up correct in my browser. Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Arthur

Maybe it's a security setting or something, but I use the same settings everywhere else on the web.

I looked at the page's source and nothing jumps out at me as the cause.
edit: I just looked again and saw the image preload function - not sure why but that's probably it because that's what is not working.

I can take a print screen to show you what I mean. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Troy

Looks the same to me between IE 6 and Firefox 2.0.0.14. I think it's fine. I'm not a fan of background graphics myself but on a non-commercial site it's perfectly acceptable. The size is perfect as well - not everyone has huge monitors and making "stretchy" sites can be rather difficult for a beginner. I don't really recommend the scroll bar but maybe that's just me. Your text is aligned right in that right hand pane so that's why the image is shifted over (it's within the same table cell with the same CSS properties).

Dreamweaver is just a tool to "help" make web pages. I always preferred Homesite but the newer versions of Dreamweaver are pretty good. I prefer to work with people who actually know what it's doing behind the scenes so they can troubleshoot the code when things don't come out the way they planned. On the other hand, it can speed up the development process and, in a way, keep you consistent which is always a good thing. I always teach people to do things by hand until they have a firm grasp on how things and then use the tools to improve their speed and accuracy. This may not apply to someone doing it just for fun (but then why would they purchase software for $$$?). Building large, dynamic sites would be a royal pain without good tools but, by then, hopefully, you're getting paid. ;)

You can use Gimp (open source Photoshop competitor) to edit images or Irfanview for some really basic stuff (crop, adjust colors, resize, adjust quality, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Arthu®

First of all, thanks for taking a look at it Troy, I hoped you would chime in.

Quote from: Troy on June 17, 2008, 09:13:01 AM
Looks the same to me between IE 6 and Firefox 2.0.0.14. I think it's fine. I'm not a fan of background graphics myself but on a non-commercial site it's perfectly acceptable. The size is perfect as well - not everyone has huge monitors and making "stretchy" sites can be rather difficult for a beginner. I don't really recommend the scroll bar but maybe that's just me. Your text is aligned right in that right hand pane so that's why the image is shifted over (it's within the same table cell with the same CSS properties).

Personally I wouldn't have done the background graphic either, but she is an artist and no graphics are dull, boring and so on... The site had to be a fixed amound of pixels in width (750), otherwise I would have preferred a stretchy site as well. If you have a solution for a background that doesn't repeat itself but stretched the images when more text is on the page, I would love to give that a try. What exactly do you mean with the image being shifted over? On the right hand side? I believe it should be set on centered...

Quote from: Troy on June 17, 2008, 09:13:01 AM
Dreamweaver is just a tool to "help" make web pages. I always preferred Homesite but the newer versions of Dreamweaver are pretty good. I prefer to work with people who actually know what it's doing behind the scenes so they can troubleshoot the code when things don't come out the way they planned. On the other hand, it can speed up the development process and, in a way, keep you consistent which is always a good thing. I always teach people to do things by hand until they have a firm grasp on how things and then use the tools to improve their speed and accuracy. This may not apply to someone doing it just for fun (but then why would they purchase software for $$$?). Building large, dynamic sites would be a royal pain without good tools but, by then, hopefully, you're getting paid. ;)

You can use Gimp (open source Photoshop competitor) to edit images or Irfanview for some really basic stuff (crop, adjust colors, resize, adjust quality, etc.).

Dreamweaver was the tool she needed to use along with Photoshop. But you are right, I have completely no clue what I'm doing :D And I doubt I'll ever be making a large, dynamic site ;)

Arthur

Troy

You don't really want to stretch a background image. You could make one with a pattern so it tiles but that usually looks too "busy". The other option is to fade it our to a solid color and then make it some impossibly long height. Generally we'll do this with a 1 pixel wide image and then tile it sideways. Of course then you lose the pattern but it makes a nice effect.

There is a section at the top containing the style sheet information including this:

body,td,th {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 11px;
color: #000000;
text-align: right;
overflow: auto;
}

The image on the right hand side sits within a <th> tag which will right-justify anything inside it (according to the styles above). It isn't centered - more like 5 pixels over to the right. That's what I thought you guys were talking about but now I see that it's the margins in the main text. They are within 1 pixel on my screen. Your main section with the <DIV> is also inside a table cell so you'll get the same effect.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.