News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My thoughts on a Daytona for ME.

Started by BB1, June 11, 2008, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

:scratchchin:

Being a person that needs another Mopar like a hole in the head, I thought of stripping down my 69 and go full Daytona on it.

Ya know you only live once and even if it takes me 10 years, I think it would be worth it.
I would like Lary to pm me as to how much it would take to do the Daytona conversion. aka "Hotrod98"

It would be more a race Daytona, one that I could take to the salt flats and do 200+ mph.  :yesnod:
Roll bar, blending in the bumpers, maybe stick my Hemi in it.  :scratchchin:

I don't need the head lights to open, or radio, or a/c or anything that doesn't make it go fast.

Paint I don't know yet, NASCAR wheels, side pipes the whole nine yards.

Your thoughts on taking my 69, which is non matching anything XP29H, to race Daytona?

Delete my profile

Moparmatty

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

tan top

good plan   race daytona  :yesnod:               :drool5:      .............   :popcrn: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Old Moparz

Quote from: BB1 on June 11, 2008, 12:10:31 PM

Your thoughts on taking my 69, which is non matching anything XP29H, to race Daytona?

Build one, but put a passenger seat in so I can go along for a ride since mine will never get done.   :lol:

I'll visit my aunt & uncle in Witchita while I'm there.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Blown70

Hmmm well I have thought of buying yours but c-ing I would have to sell mine first,,,,, GO FOR IT :2thumbs:  Then I do not have to try to make a deal on mine......

Tom

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger1973

If its what you want and you can afford to do it, why not?

hemi68charger

Daytona clone, definitely... But, how often are you going to take her to the Salt Flats versus do some serious weekend cruising? Is your vision one of all-out race or a combination of speed and streetability? I would hate to see you spend so much time, effort and money on something you only drive once-in-a-blue-moon.....  Make something like a Bobby Allison #22 or Bobby Issac #71 Grand National car...................

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69bronzeT5

Go for it!!!!

And I agree with what Troy said.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hotrod98

I say do it. You'll never regret it. Just do like I've done and put the original parts in storage just in case you ever decide to put it back. It's a "conscience" thing.
The conversion is easily reversible. I basically make 4 cuts in the original sheet metal, all easily repairable.
I've been so pumped to get my clone finished that the customer work has taken a hit lately in favor of working on my own car. Just a few more weeks.  :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BB1

Thanks, I hope this happends.

I have the car, the Hemi, money will be there as long as I don't get hurt or something. Since I will be moving to North Western Arizona, the flats will be relatively close by.

It has always been a fantasy of mine to hit 200 mph in an old Dodge.

Building out the body would be the most expense, but with a race car you have less to do as far as comfort, interior ext.
Just a roll cage and a brain bucket and a 5 point harness. Crashing at 200 mph that would hurt.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Gota do what you love.

Need a parts list:

Vega hatch, what year?
Solid nose cone, with brackets.
70 Charger hood and fenders.
Fender scoops, A pillar moldings.

Aluminium wing with supports

Help
Delete my profile

Blown70

Dane I would say for the wing,,,, dont know when he is doing his next bactch (hollow and alum. like original) 
hotrod98 made some wing braces for the trunk.
I have a crappy set of 70 fenders
I would do a fiberglass hood ?

Larry and others would know what vega hatch.

Tom

hotrod98

The best hatchbacks to use are the 74-77 version.
While the 71 to 73 version will work, it will require additional bodywork to close in the vent below the back glass.
You will also need a trunk closeout panel, a 3rd gen dutchman panel and wing washers. Or, I can alter the trunk with a straight front edge and make a stepped trough to match. Would look just fine. I can also make the wing washers from thicker steel for increased strength which will be needed. We can also stiffen the wing braces and the floor where they mount.
For 200 mph, I suggest a moly cage with the funnycar cage kit. I'm trying to get my son to let me add the funny car cage kit to his new super comp car. Just that much safer.
The nice thing about the racecars is that if they don't look 100% original, no one seems to care. They just figure "hey, it's a racecar".
As for the rear bumper, I can add a reverse duct on the quarter to make the air flow out over the bumper and keep the bumper looking correct. Would hardly show.
As for the nose, the best thing to do would be to go steel and attach it directly to the fenders.  Can be done without welding them solid. I could use recessed dzus buttons. I have a source for steel racecar noses, with or without the H/L openings. You will definitely need to add subframe connectors from U.S. Cartool.
Sounds like a fun project.

Charles Addams

oldcarnut

Sounds pretty cool.  Don't know how well it would have worked out but it almost sounds like if you were a SB fan, that one on ebay might have been considered.

Howie

I am getting a nose like this one pretty soon. It is made out of 18 ga. steel and yes it is going to go on a car that is gonna be raced, cruised in and shown. :yesnod:. I will see if the guy might want to make another one.
                                                                         Howie

Howie

here is the pic. Dang it wont upload.
Anyway look on the superbird race car and scroll down past the intakes and you will see the nose.

hotrod98

Howie, who is the Larry that Craig refers to?

Charles Addams

pettyfan43

BB1

Thanks Larry for the info, I can see I have my work cut out for me.
You're the man to go to, I'll give you a call when have everything together.

My 68 will be finished first, then the long term project Daytona will take me into my golden years.  ;D
I'm 42, that's not old yet.

One cruiser, one 200+ screamer.

Time for research...

Any NASCAR Daytona that you would like to see cloned? K&K or maybe a non sponsored race team.

I like the little lightning bolt on the wing one, not sure what it was.
Delete my profile

hotrod98

Quote from: pettyfan43 on June 11, 2008, 07:00:35 PM
Here he goes by Daytonalo

Didn't realize that Craig knew Larry O'Donnell. Kind of thought that he might mean me or possibly another Larry. Craig's building the steel nose for Howie's nascar clone that I'll be putting together later on.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Howie

The steel nose is made in Oregon. The guys a friend of Craig Adams whose name is Larry. Not the eccentric boatman that we all know. :nana:. I called Craig tonight and he will talk with his buddy and see how many noses he would like to build.I`ll post more when I find out. :popcrn: Mine will be comin around the mountain within a couple of weeks.  :popcrn: :cheers:.
                                                         Howie

hotrod98

Makes sense to me now. I was pretty sure that he wasn't making an extra one for me...yet.  ;D

Charles Addams

69bronzeT5

Quote from: BB1 on June 11, 2008, 08:00:24 PM
Any NASCAR Daytona that you would like to see cloned? K&K or maybe a non sponsored race team.

I like the little lightning bolt on the wing one, not sure what it was.

You can't go wrong with the K&K Daytona :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Howie

That is what Craig is building. He wants it to be just like 71 car that  ran the salt flats. It is 2 x 2 lowered which I plan to do also. He has done a great deal of research on the parts and will be together shortly. The nose he showed is the one he is going to use on his car. He told me mine was next.

Charger_Fan

I wonder what the actual head count is for Daytona's these days...both real & clones? :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Funny, I haven't thought much lately on the color scheme for mine, but I did always like the color on a slot car I still have. I also have the blue & black one, but this was my favorite, & the reason I liked these cars from when I was a kid. Back then at 9 years old, or whatever age I was, I didn't know this was based on a real car. When I got older, I was shocked to learn it was real.   :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus