News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

paint question

Started by oldgold69, July 01, 2008, 10:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgold69

I always painted all my cars with enamal with gloss hardner. everyone is telling to go base clear. but I've never seen one last that long. Ten years and they look bad. Right now I'm doing the engine bay . here's the big question can I paint the engine bay with enamal then paint the rest of the car base clear or will it react too each other.I'm using epoxy primer then building with high build 2k.  my friend will mix me my paint. he'll do what ever I want. I want the engine bay to be durable and try to go with a factory finish .(orange peel) on the body. Keeping car stock look. I'm always getting different answers from all my friends with body shops. thanks.

BlueSS454

A paint job will only be as good as the materials used.  If cheap materials are used, don't expect it to last.  I have a friend with a 67 Chevelle which he painted 15 years ago, still looks like the day it was painted.
When I shot my Charger, I used a single stage urethane in the engine bay then shot the rest of the car in base/clear.  I know alot of cars that have been shot with base/clear 10/15/20 years ago and still look as good as they did when they were first shot.
Tom Rightler

69*F5*SE