News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

*Update 06-18* Fixing up my Charger the right (but long) way...

Started by markstealth91, February 27, 2008, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markstealth91

Hey guys, I finally am starting to my Charger apart, and am finding a lot of stuff I don't want to find, mostly rust and bondo. I started on the rear valance/ tail light panel, because I saw little "bumps under the black primer. So I took out the wirewheel and knew whatever was causing this wasn't good. Right away the black disappeared and bondo stared to go everywhere, it seemed like the bondo would never stop(this was on the taillight panel. After that I went on to the rear valance and the same thing happened again (was on the bottom right, noticed it after I took the bumper off) So I gridded that down to the bare metal. Of course I just took pictures so you guys know what I am talking about. I am preparing to take the charger to a body shop, and was hoping to get the car painted before May/June, do you think this is repairable at the body shop? If so would it be cheaper to fix, or should I just good the Goodmark way and get new parts? thanks for any the help!

terrible one

I'd be prepared for a replacement, especially with the new AMD tail panels coming out. The corners will have to be replaced too I'm sure. Looking at the first picture, I see that you haven't touched the lower part of the valence yet, which is no doubt filled with bondo by the looks of the meeting point of it and the corners (note the fact that there is no shape left to them, and the seam where they meet the valence has magically been covered up)

Troy

A few quarter sized holes can be repaired but a swiss cheese looking part deserves a replacement. I've had that sinking feeling when stripping paint and there seems top be nothing under it but Bondo and many times it's just a dent that the body shop was too lazy to pull back out. On the other hand, the back end of your car appears to have been sculpted from the stuff so I'm wondering how much metal is left. Strip the rest and see what you've got before making any decisions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

markstealth91

I called it a day after just wondering why the body line faded on the drivers side.....

Then I was thinking to myself, this car can't have bondo everywhere can it!?

Ya, today has been a bad day so far, what should I do about the drivers side rear quarter?

Sadly I think things are only going to get worst.

JimShine

Pick up one of those Bondo thickness gauges and use it to get a better idea.

markstealth91

Thanks guys for all the replies, I really appreciate it. JimShine do you know where I could get one of those Bondo thickness gauges?

suntech

I would´nt bother to go through that, just to get confirmed that your quarters are rusted, and massaged the hell out off!!!!
Repacing the parts that is rusted and dented and bondoed up will ofcause have a parts price, but the labor costs will go down, compare to have somebody to fabricate and patch in the pieces.
So i think the bottom line will not be that much highter, but the result will be better, if you replace the parts.
Just an example: A rear quarter from AMD is 700 us. Lets say you pay 50 bucks an hour for labor. Lets say 10 hours to put on a new quarter. Totalls up to 1200 .
Lets sat it will be 20 hours of labor to fix/patch and prep the old quarter. that is 1000 bucks. Would´nt you agree on that it is worth the  200 extra, to have a nice, patch and bondo free quarter???? just my :Twocents:
Rolf
PS: Here in Norway the labor costs are MUCH higher than that, so i didnt even bother to calculate.................just ordered parts!!!

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

markstealth91

for the quarters, do you think I would need the whole thing? Or would skins be enough?
Thanks again,
-Mark

Troy

Do you have any pictures from inside? On the quarters, the skins will leave a 7' long weld along the top of the quarter and, in general, are thin and lesser quality than the full quarters. The labor to install a full quarter should be less. It's difficult to say what you need until you know how bad the damage it.

Looking at that filler reminds me of my black car. It had one of those lower patch panels installed be the previous owner. Here's what it looks like when you use a stick welder and warp the heck out of the quarter - on the body line no less! Note how thick the filler is and the missing trunk extension.

Troy

hemi-hampton

You could strip the whole car to bare metal to see whats hiding under there. But then dont be surprised if you see swiss cheese Fenders, Doors, 1/4 panels, ect, ect. Then you'll be replacing all this.  :-\ LEON.

markstealth91

This bothered me all day at work, and seems like it is going to continue  :rotz: I went and wanted to at least find some metal under all the bondo, so far here is what I found.

Troy

So they filled a dent that they couldn't bother to straighten. That's typical. And then the holes rust because the filler holds water. I was doing the same thing tonight. I use a knotted wire wheel on a 4" grinder and make a really big mess in a really big hurry.

Troy

suntech

I think you should do yourself / your wallet and your car a favor, and get new full quarter, and tailpanel, at least. Look at the prices at AMD, and look at labor costs  patching, and the risk of getting a halfass result. Much better off with replacing. :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

markstealth91

I definitely have to replace it, just don't know how much ahs to be replaced! I am praying the other side isn't the same!
-Mark

suntech

Do not be dissapointed if it is...............just be happy if it is ok! We gotta expect some surprices on 40 year old cars. Be happy that we actually CAN get hold of replacement parts now.

markstealth91

VERY TRUE!, yesterday after work I did some more "paint" removal (I am in CT so it is dark and freezing by the time I get out). I did 5 random spots on the passanger side, and was very promising! metal in all 5 random spots! Hopefully I can get more done on my weekend(my "weekend" is tuesday and wednesdays off). But it could be a lot worst, and your right, at least I can replace these parts unlike no to long ago.

markstealth91

Here is a update, finally got almost all of it off, do you think I could get away with getting a skin? Or should I get the oe replacement from auto metal direct(which I don't have the money for at this time)? The only positive is the tail panel the only rust/holes were the ones from the first pic, the rest of it is good.

r73mopar

and i thought mine had alot of bondo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(mine is a wisconsin car,that should say it all)the only parts on mine that had no bondo were my doors and hood. :brickwall:

markstealth91

Hey guys here is what I have done the past 3 months...

- from May...

also from May...

and lastly from this past weekend... not done but slowly getting there...

-Mark

tan top

making some progress  :yesnod:  keep the pictures coming   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69*F5*SE

Hey, there's metal under there  :smilielol:  Just jabbin' ya.  It's coming along fine.

markstealth91

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on June 19, 2008, 02:00:28 PM
Hey, there's metal under there  :smilielol:  Just jabbin' ya.  It's coming along fine.

:lol: I know I said the same thing to myself when I finally found it! almost all gone...same with the horrible glow in the dark paint!

69*F5*SE

You'll get it where it needs to be eventually. Determination will take over.  :yesnod: