News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would anyone be interested in a little dc.com Biggest Loser contest?

Started by bull, July 01, 2008, 10:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

QuoteYou overweight?  Not when I saw you at Dukesfest....in what 06 & 07?

Swear to God it's true.  Between 2005 and 2008 I've hit some numbers on the scale that were 20+ pounds apart.  Maybe even 23-24 pounds.  I've looked a bit different at times, but it wasn't quite enough to actually change my clothes over it.  Some of that weight change was probably muscle too; my activity/exercise level is as unpredictable as my eating. 

My body & health is just inconsistent as hell.

True story: 

One time when I was in high school I went on a big hardass 2-week camping/canoeing trip.  I left weighing 170-something and came back weighing 150-something.  The difference was insane; it was literally something like 21 pounds lost in 14 days.  (And I didn't start out with much to lose.)   It scared the sh*t out of my mother.  She said she woulda thought I was dying if I hadn't come back so suntanned. 

bull

Quote from: dkn1997 on July 02, 2008, 06:57:06 PM
does it count if one would get rid of about 150lbs by getting a divorce?

The old stress diet works every time. I've known quite a few people who've tried it with great results. Of course the emotional ramifications can be deadly... :-\

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 02, 2008, 10:55:08 PM
QuoteYou overweight?  Not when I saw you at Dukesfest....in what 06 & 07?

Swear to God it's true.  Between 2005 and 2008 I've hit some numbers on the scale that were 20+ pounds apart.  Maybe even 23-24 pounds.  I've looked a bit different at times, but it wasn't quite enough to actually change my clothes over it.  Some of that weight change was probably muscle too; my activity/exercise level is as unpredictable as my eating. 

True story: 

One time when I was in high school I went on a big hardass 2-week camping/canoeing trip.  I left weighing 170-something and came back weighing 150-something.  The difference was insane; it was literally something like 21 pounds lost in 14 days.  (And I didn't start out with much to lose.)   It scared the sh*t out of my mother.  She said she woulda thought I was dying if I hadn't come back so suntanned. 

Well, that is aood in a way.  You have good matabolism then.  Shoot, until I statred losing weight a few months agao, I could look at food, and seemed to gain weight.  I really think it doesn't help when your family is overweight too.  Some can lose it fast, soem can lose it slow.  I feel so much better now, but am still overweight.  I need to lose about another 40 pounds, but with the diet I'm on, it hasn't been that hard to lose 28 so far. :2thumbs:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

TeeWJay426

After my back surgery, the Doctor said I needed to drop 50 pounds, as that was the only way I was going to get any relief from the arthritis in my spine. Have gotten off to an OK start, dropped about 15 so far, just through exercise and portion control. I have a feeing the next 35 will be much harder to make disappear, though..... :eek2:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Mike DC

Quote. . . just through exercise and portion control.

I agree that portion control can really be major.  In the example of that canoe trip I went on, we mainly ate just powdered food we had brought along because it was the smallest practical way to bring a large amount of food.  I was eating less in a (very active) day than I could normally eat in one meal at home. 

I once heard an old Dennis Miller standup show from his early days.  The interesting thing was that he spent a couple of minutes on a routine about the absurdity of 7-Eleven starting to offer a 32-oz drink cup.  This was like 1984 and it seemed to strike him as a disgusting excess.  He was saying stuff like, "I can't imagine ever willingly putting 32oz of any liquid into my body at one sitting.  What are they gonna do, back a dump-truck up to my mouth when I order this thing?" 

Nowadays, 32oz cups are everywhere. 
At McDonalds today a 32oz cup is nothing.  It's not the Super-Size, not even the Large, but now just the MEDIUM size they put with everything.   

ChgrSteve67

You can get a 64 oz cup at the 7-11 around me.

Wonder when they are going to start making drink cup holders in cars big enough to hold it.

mikepmcs

I've gained over 40 pounds since retiring from the Navy.  Mostly because I ran about 6 miles 5 days a week just to keep in standards.  That was brutal and my back and knees really took a beating over the last 20 years.  As soon as I retired, I quit exercising and am up to about 221 in the last year.  I've always been heavy and people couldn't believe I weighed 180 and wore 31/32 jeans at 5'7"  Been up and down all my life on the weight scale.  Graduated high school weighting 220, lost 101 pounds when I was 19 in less than 8 months down to 119 and my mother said gain some weight or you are going to the hospital so I went back to 140 and joined the Navy in 87.  Lifted for a while in the early 90's and that is where the bulk of the weight came back up to about 180 or so, hovering there all those years.  Now, i'm a lazy fat slob with a screwed up back and other parts and I drink too much cause I have nothing else better to do with my time.   
Here is a truism for all us overweight fellas and like I said I've been up and down all these years and know what works and what doesn't.  Lay of the beer(if you drink more than a few a night) and you'll most likely lose weight without even doing anything.  But, the real answer is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change, stay/get active and eat healthier or at least normal portions and you will lose the weight.
I won't enter the contest because i'm spiraling into hell, but I'll let you know in december if I decided to get off my lazy arse and if I lost anything. 
I say I don't care anymore, but we all know that isn't true, anyone that is heavy cares and wants to be a little lighter.
Ok, gotta get another beer now.   :cheers:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dkn1997

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 03, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

I once heard an old Dennis Miller standup show from his early days.  The interesting thing was that he spent a couple of minutes on a routine about the absurdity of 7-Eleven starting to offer a 32-oz drink cup.  This was like 1984 and it seemed to strike him as a disgusting excess.  He was saying stuff like, "I can't imagine ever willingly putting 32oz of any liquid into my body at one sitting.  What are they gonna do, back a dump-truck up to my mouth when I order this thing?" 

I love that particular miller routine, one of his very early ones.  he elaborates in saying that the 32 oz drink is for the guy who came from the surface of the sun directly into the 7-11. 

I'm in on the weight thing.  I am 5'7' and weigh 225.  I am in pretty decent shape for my size, I just ran a 5k on 4th of july and I run twice a week minimum, but I eat like shit.  If I didn't run, i'd be 245 easy.  I was there at one time and it wasn't pretty. 
how do we begin....?
RECHRGED

TheGhost

I thought this thread was gonna be about Silver.  Nevermind, then.  Carry on.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

gordo1968charger

i ve lost 15000 pounds since i bought my charger.
uk pounds that is
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Back N Black

I eat because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because i eat. Its a vicious circle.  :pity:

dkn1997

Quote from: TheGhost on July 07, 2008, 01:26:57 AM
I thought this thread was gonna be about Silver.  Nevermind, then.  Carry on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That post rules!
RECHRGED

Chryco Psycho

they would put me in hospital if I lose 40 lbs good luck to those who need to lose though

bull

Quote from: Back N Black on July 07, 2008, 12:53:49 PM
I eat because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because i eat. Its a vicious circle.  :pity:

Next time you get unhappy do some exercising, visit some friends or work on a hobby instead of eating. Try an activity other than eating that will take your mind off your depressing situation.

IMO there are two major schools of thought regarding any illness, including depression. One comes from the medical field which seems to focus too much on drug treatment as opposed to discovering and dealing with the cause of the problem. The other comes from the health and wellness (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure) crowd where exercise and a healthy diet are emphasized. I'd rather figure out what's wrong with me and deal with that issue instead of "fooling" the mind and body through drugs and ignoring the core problem. That's not to say all problems can be cured with diet and exercise but I think there's way too much emphasis these days on treating symptoms with pills instead of figuring out what's really wrong and fixing it. It's kind of like trying to fool a fuel/air sensor in your car into thinking it's getting the correct mixture and then driving like that until your engine blows up.

41husk

I wish you would have started this a few years ago!  I was over 360 lbs 3 years ago, I fluctuate between 190 and 210 now.  170 lbs lost on a light day and have maintained for a couple years now.  No surgery, just eating better and moving more.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on July 09, 2008, 05:22:56 PM
I wish you would have started this a few years ago!  I was over 360 lbs 3 years ago, I fluctuate between 190 and 210 now.  170 lbs lost on a light day and have maintained for a couple years now.  No surgery, just eating better and moving more.
great job man
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Quote from: 41husk on July 09, 2008, 05:22:56 PM

:2thumbs:

gordo1968charger

i was about 238 lbs when i got my charger,with all the extra graft i do now i ve dropped down to about 200lbs,i can t work on a full stomach anymore,it just makes me lazy.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Back N Black

Quote from: bull on July 09, 2008, 05:29:22 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on July 07, 2008, 12:53:49 PM

Next time you get unhappy do some exercising, visit some friends or work on a hobby instead of eating. Try an activity other than eating that will take your mind off your depressing situation.

:

Just kidding, I"m in the Military and i'm in charge of physical fitness training for my unit. I sweat more before 0700hrs than most people sweat all day.  :nana:

Mike DC

QuoteIMO there are two major schools of thought regarding any illness, including depression. One comes from the medical field which seems to focus too much on drug treatment as opposed to discovering and dealing with the cause of the problem. The other comes from the health and wellness (an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure) crowd where exercise and a healthy diet are emphasized. I'd rather figure out what's wrong with me and deal with that issue instead of "fooling" the mind and body through drugs and ignoring the core problem. That's not to say all problems can be cured with diet and exercise but I think there's way too much emphasis these days on treating symptoms with pills instead of figuring out what's really wrong and fixing it. It's kind of like trying to fool a fuel/air sensor in your car into thinking it's getting the correct mixture and then driving like that until your engine blows up.

I think there are so many different aspects of modern life that individually aggravate depression, it's probably easier to list the ones that don't. 

bull

Yea, pretty sad. I wonder how many "cures" are actually killing us too.

Tilar

I lost 150 pounds back in 1995. I think she's living around the Dallas area now.  :D
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.