News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing lights with advance

Started by astat1, July 03, 2008, 05:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astat1

What do the timing lights with built in advance accomplish over simple timing lights (which I have). I would like to "dial in" my car and have never been to comfortable with the different timing setting techniques. Are they worth it and will they accomplish all forms of timing settings?? Thanks

ChgrSteve67

The timing marks on my timing cover only go up to 20 degrees BTDC and 10 degrees ATDC, my balancer only has the TDC notch in it.

Without an advance timing light I cannot see what my engine timing is at 1800 RPM and above.
Its really nice to be able to set the timing you want, then adjust the notch on the balancer to TDC then try to find the right angel to see where my timing is.

Some of the advance timing lights also have a built in RPM readout so you can see how fast your engine is running without having someone call out RPM readings to you.

I have seen other methods for putting timing marks on the balancer and some balancers that come with the marks on them but have never used them so someone else will need to speak about those.

-Steve