News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!!

Started by AKcharger, July 03, 2008, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

I almost went roller but ...... the motor is back in the car now with another flat-tap. There's no reason it should fail with the correct oil additives. People have been running more aggressive flat tappet cams than mine for years before this oil formulation mess. 

I had a guy ask me in the auto parts store the other day what the bottle of "lead substitute" was for. He was just some guy who had the hand-me-down family classic and has managed to keep it going. I'm sure his exhaust valve seats are toast, and like many other similar plain folks out there, these oil changes are going to costs a lot of unsuspecting people a lot of money and grief. I think someone in this thread said basically "we should all know better", but there are a lot of non-gear head people like this guy I met that are going to get screwed, and it just plain sucks. 

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

As far as suing anybody, it'd be like trying to sue over the switch to low octane no lead oxygenated gasoline. 

my73charger

Just a thought, I think we should have this pinned at the top for a while.  I was a victiim of bad oil in the past year and was fortunate enough to only have to replace the cam and lifters.  We need to get the word out at least here.

Mick70RR

This guy has made it his mission in life to get to the bottom of this, sending oil samples for independent testing. It's a long thread so here's some of the results so far.

(1200ppm-1400ppm) Zn & P is where we need to be for good protection when running an aftermarket flat tappet hyd or solid perf cam with elevated spring rates which is what many of us are running in oru SBC/BBC)

(KEY=Zn-ppm/P-ppm/Ca-ppm)

VALVOLINE  NSL RACE(not VR1) -20W-50 - 1250/1000/890 (ALL 4 VALVOLINE OILS LISTED HERE ARE CONVENTIONAL)

VALVOLINE  NSL RACE -10W-30 - 1000/750

VALVOLINE  VR1 RACE -20W-50 - 1040/840

VALVOLINE  VR1 RACE -10W-40 - 1160/912

BRAD PENN RACE - 20W-50 - 770/600(SYN BLEND)

PENNZOIL GT 25W-50 RACING OIL - 1676/1483(CONVEN OIL)

CASTROL SYNTEC TRUCK & 4X4 15W-40 - 1240/990(SYN BELND)

CHEVRON DELO LE CJ 15W-40 - 1360/1115(CONVEN OIL)

SHELL ROTEALLA 30WT SINGLE GRADE -1215/1050(CONVEN OIL)

LUBRIPLATE GPO H/D 15W-40 - 1165/920(CONVEN OIL)

ROYAL PURPLE 5W30 XPR Racing Oil - 1421/1339(FULL SYN/TESTED BY FELLOW T/C'R)

If you want to read it here's the link.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195620&page=15
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

firefighter3931

Good info Mic.....thanks for posting  :2thumbs:

That Penzoil GT 20/50 looks impressive !

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I'm wondering if the formulations are changing faster than that list though?

mally69

Wow, it shows BradPenn being the lowest. I thought theirs was supposed to be one of the top choices for flat tappet cams?  :icon_smile_question:

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

daves68

Zinc additive was removed from motor oil last year because it was suspected of fouling catalytic converters and thereby allowing more pollutants to pass out of the engine. My question would be that we have been saddled with cats since 1975. Why did they just start failing because of oil/zinc last year? Smell a rat here. Thank the next tree huggin, tofu fartin, enviro twink  liberal that  you see.
Dave

Chryco Psycho

yup trying to get all the old cars off the road & force us to buy new with no $$ as the raises are nowhere close to keeping up with rising costs

Wango Mango

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com   its quite a site dedicated to lubricants & there's a wealth of info on the passenger car rorum & racing forum.  I switched to Brad Penn 1 Racing Oil (the real 'green' oil that used to be Kendall GT1).  It has 1300 ppm of zinc & lots of phosphorus.  Valvonine VR1 is also high in zinc & highly rated.   Some tests they did that are on the site don't recommend additives since they compromise the formulas that the oils were designed with.  Check out the website.

racecharger

I have a .645 roller in in my stroked 496.
Do I need zinc in my oil?
I have run my engine for about one hour to brake it in.
And I will take it to the Dino soon. 

I have used a Mobil 1 15-40 diesel engine oil so far.
What do you think?

daves68

No, you don't. A roller cam set-up will not be affected by the zinc removal. The stresses on a roller are waaayyy less than those on a flat tappet.
It's only "flat" guys that have to be concerned.

Ghoste

Quote from: Wango Mango on August 22, 2008, 02:04:51 PM
Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com   its quite a site dedicated to lubricants...             ... Some tests they did that are on the site don't recommend additives since they compromise the formulas that the oils were designed with.  Check out the website.

The only additive test I could find on that site was adding Lucas gear oil additive to a gear oil and one motor oil.  That didn't seem too conclusive other than for Lucas.   Is there more?

ACUDANUT

62 Max

Quote from: mally69 on July 20, 2008, 12:08:23 AM
Wow, it shows BradPenn being the lowest. I thought theirs was supposed to be one of the top choices for flat tappet cams?  :icon_smile_question:

What is listed is the synthetic,not the Brad Penn !.

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.html

hemigeno

I heard rumors about running diesel-oriented oils - like Rotella T - in gasoline engines is a long-term problem (too much detergent in the formulations, or something to that effect).  Any truth to that?

Even though I am running a roller cam in the Hemi, I've switched it and the 2-ton truck over to Valvoline Racing 20W50 NSL (not street legal).  When I researched this issue last winter, I thought it was (for the money) a better alternative than throwing a can of EOS in with any of the low-zinc oils. 

:Twocents:

FLG

Cant see the truth in that...Ive even read the back of some bottles of Diesel oil, some companies actually RECOMMEND it for high mileage autos.

Ghoste

They do run higher detergent levels in order to deal with the additional soot diesels make but I don't recall ever hearing that it caused a problem in gas engines.

ACUDANUT

The BIG question is how come the Mopar Muscle and MCG have never said one thing about this serious issue ???

62 Max

In most cases they seem to be more geared to profiling 1 of 1 cars or something that someone spent more $$$$ on than the average guy can afford.Technical information that would help everyone seems to be secondary. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I do recall seeing a very small blurb about it some time ago in ME.  As for MM, all of their articles are advertising.  The cars and tech articles always tie directly into the advertisers who comprise over half of each issue.  To them, the car stuff is just filler so until someone wants to seriously market the oil additives we need and wants to advertise in MM, you won't see much.  MCG doesn't really do any tech articles and as for MA, I don't know why they haven't gotten on it yet.

Spike

Amsoil just introduced a line of Dominator Racing oils that features an additive package heavily fortified with zinc and phosphorus for superior long-term wear protection.
Designed for maximum durability, it ensures critical engine components are protected for the duration of the race.
Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil's superior additive technology provides unmatched durability in extreme conditions.
In addition, its high levels of zinc and phosphorus additives make it ideal for street rods, muscle cars and other vehicles with flat-tappet cams.

For more info: Amsoil New Products

frederick

I came across this site:
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/
They say they have got a machine that can break-in a camshaft outside of the engine.
Has anybody used them yet?
It sounds like a good solution.

Frederick

ps not connected to them in any way.