News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!!

Started by AKcharger, July 03, 2008, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I need a price check-in for GM's  EOS. Thanks...I am going to have to buy a case it looks like.  :brickwall:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 375instroke on December 07, 2008, 10:08:58 AM

Here's a link to 20 samples of Mobile 1 test results, and they all show zinc and phosphorous.  Why do you say your Mobile 1 has never had zinc in it?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Yes those tests confirm that Zn/Phos is present in the "current" formulations but those levels are inadequate for flat tappet cams. The old formulations (before the EPA mandated BS reduction) had 1400 ppm zinc/phosphorus and therein lies the dilemma. That chart is difinitive proof that anyone running a flat tappet cam needs an EP additive or they risk destroying their hard earned investment.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

62 Max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 10, 2008, 11:15:03 PM

Here's a link to 20 samples of Mobile 1 test results, and they all show zinc and phosphorous.  Why do you say your Mobile 1 has never had zinc in it?

Yes those tests confirm that Zn/Phos is present in the "current" formulations but those levels are inadequate for flat tappet cams. The old formulations (before the EPA mandated BS reduction) had 1400 ppm zinc/phosphorus and therein lies the dilemma. That chart is difinitive proof that anyone running a flat tappet cam needs an EP additive or they risk destroying their hard earned investment.

Ron

Ron,

If "you" ran this oil only,would "you" still use an addative?

The Penn-Grade 1® oils "typical" 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P)

AKcharger

Quote from: 62 Max on December 11, 2008, 02:11:29 PM

...The Penn-Grade 1® oils "typical" 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P)

Must be an "off-road only" oil at those levels.
:scope:

y3chargerrt

Price check for GM EOS. I just bought a pint for 25 bucks! Yikes

62 Max

firefighter3931

Ron

Ron,

If "you" ran this oil only,would "you" still use an addative?

The Penn-Grade 1® oils "typical" 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P)

Max, if BP is indeed 1400-1500 ppm Zn/Phos then i would have no problem using it without an EP additive.  :2thumbs:

I've seen conflicting VOA results regarding BP oil.....some show 800-900 while others show what you are reporting.  :scratchchin:

Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic was at one point in the 1400-1500 ppm range but has since been reduced. The Mobil 1 "motorcycle" 15/50 is supposed to have lots of EP goodies at the present time....perhaps because motorcycle lube is not held to the same standards as regular passenger car oil.  :shruggy:

Overall, I find the situation frustrating... to say the least !  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

62 Max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 12, 2008, 10:09:36 AM

Yes those tests confirm that Zn/Phos is present in the "current" formulations but those levels are inadequate for flat tappet cams. The old formulations (before the EPA mandated BS reduction) had 1400 ppm zinc/phosphorus and therein lies the dilemma. That chart is definitive proof that anyone running a flat tappet cam needs an EP additive or they risk destroying their hard earned investment.

Ron

Ron,

If "you" ran this oil only,would "you" still use an additive?

Max, if BP is indeed 1400-1500 ppm Zn/Phos then i would have no problem using it without an EP additive.  :2thumbs:

I've seen conflicting VOA results regarding BP oil.....some show 800-900 while others show what you are reporting.  :scratchchin:

Mobil 1 15/50 synthetic was at one point in the 1400-1500 ppm range but has since been reduced. The Mobil 1 "motorcycle" 15/50 is supposed to have lots of EP goodies at the present time....perhaps because motorcycle lube is not held to the same standards as regular passenger car oil.  :shruggy:

Ron

Ron,I can get an unbiased independent analysis of the BP oil.I have 6 cases and I send our oil samples for our fleet of 50 diesel trucks to http://www.staveleyna.com/public/FLhome.asp for analysis.I can have a sample in the mail on Monday.Usually have results in three days.No comparasion with any one else,just real time analysis.
This I will do and post the results.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: y3chargerrt on December 12, 2008, 07:07:53 AM
***25.00 bucks for a pint ??? That's crazy  :brickwall:

Ghoste

62 Max

Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
Not as crazy as buying a new cam.

After all the talk about losing a cam,I would really like to know how many out of the thousands sold how many really did. :scratchchin:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 62 Max on December 12, 2008, 10:26:56 AM

Ron,I can get an unbiased independent analysis of the BP oil.I have 6 cases and I send our oil samples for our fleet of 50 diesel trucks to http://www.staveleyna.com/public/FLhome.asp for analysis.I can have a sample in the mail on Monday.Usually have results in three days.No comparasion with any one else,just real time analysis.

That would be awesome Max ! Thank you !!!  :bow:

It would be fantastic to see some "current" results. I've heard nothing but GOOD about the Brad Penn racing oil  :2thumbs:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 12, 2008, 06:29:50 PM
Quote from: y3chargerrt on December 12, 2008, 07:07:53 AM
***25.00 bucks for a pint ??? That's crazy  :brickwall:

:iagree: Last year i purchased 2 cases (24 pints) at $6.00 each. There must be an online supplier that won't bend you over...whoever sold it to you at that price sure is !  :flame:

Ron

y3chargerrt

My local Gm dealer sold it to me. Last spring I think i was $16.00. Bastards!

ACUDANUT

General_01

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 13, 2008, 09:37:38 AM

That would be awesome Max ! Thank you !!!  :bow:

It would be fantastic to see some "current" results. I've heard nothing but GOOD about the Brad Penn racing oil  :2thumbs:

Ron

I agree. That would be a great service for everyone on the board 62. Thanks. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

Quote from: 62 Max on December 12, 2008, 08:46:32 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
Not as crazy as buying a new cam.

After all the talk about losing a cam,I would really like to know how many out of the thousands sold how many really did. :scratchchin:

I only know of three that it happened to personally but I can add that there is only one that I actually care about (if you know what I mean).

General_01

Usually when something like that happens, I am not to concerned with how many times per thousand cams it happened to. Just that it happened to my cam and now I gotta pull it. Just as Ghoste has alluded to.
496 stroker
4-speed

Runner

i lost a cam that had been fine for 10 years.   im pretty gun shy on the camshafter and oil issues now

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

maxwellwedge

I use Joe Gibbs oil in all my old Mopes. A lot of the others mentioned are good as well.

BR for break-in and "Hot Rod Oil" after that.  http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/hotrod/index.html

Nice blurb on oils   http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/Downloads/racingoil101.pdf

I know, I know - He races Toyota's - Don't matter to me. There was a rash of wiped cams the last few years from a bunch of engine builders I know. There is an old saying, " You can't not afford a good doctor or a good lawyer". Same goes for my cars....Super Cheap insurance at whatever price they are asking.  :Twocents:

62 Max

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 04, 2009, 09:59:48 PM
I use Joe Gibbs oil in all my old Mopes. A lot of the others mentioned are good as well.

BR for break-in and "Hot Rod Oil" after that.  http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/hotrod/index.html

Nice blurb on oils   http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/Downloads/racingoil101.pdf

I know, I know - He races Toyota's - Don't matter to me. There was a rash of wiped cams the last few years from a bunch of engine builders I know. There is an old saying, " You can't not afford a good doctor or a good lawyer". Same goes for my cars....Super Cheap insurance at whatever price they are asking.  :Twocents:

I would rather know who's oil it is.Don't think Joe has his own refinery. :scratchchin:

ted

Quote from: Wango Mango on August 22, 2008, 02:04:51 PM
Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com   its quite a site dedicated to lubricants & there's a wealth of info on the passenger car rorum & racing forum.  I switched to Brad Penn 1 Racing Oil (the real 'green' oil that used to be Kendall GT1).  It has 1300 ppm of zinc & lots of phosphorus.  Valvonine VR1 is also high in zinc & highly rated.   Some tests they did that are on the site don't recommend additives since they compromise the formulas that the oils were designed with.  Check out the website.

and most of the regulars there say this is a non issue

ted

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 62 Max on January 05, 2009, 09:29:49 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 04, 2009, 09:59:48 PM

I would rather know who's oil it is.Don't think Joe has his own refinery. :scratchchin:

I think it is made by Motul out of Europe

General_01

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 12, 2008, 10:09:36 AM

Yes those tests confirm that Zn/Phos is present in the "current" formulations but those levels are inadequate for flat tappet cams. The old formulations (before the EPA mandated BS reduction) had 1400 ppm zinc/phosphorus and therein lies the dilemma. That chart is definitive proof that anyone running a flat tappet cam needs an EP additive or they risk destroying their hard earned investment.

Ron

Ron,

If "you" ran this oil only,would "you" still use an additive?

Ron

Hey Max, did you ever get results on the oil?
496 stroker
4-speed