News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING! DANGER! If you are or will run a flat tappet cam read this!!!

Started by AKcharger, July 03, 2008, 01:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcondran

Although I have respect for Hughes Engines, I do not believe that a moly-based oil additive is best for extreme-pressure lubrication at the cam-lifter interface.  Molecules based on molybdenum are too large and too slippery to entangle themselves between the interface, which reaches quick but massive pressures in excess of 115,000 psi.  At such pressure, even motor oil itself is squeezed out of and away from the critical contact area.

The preferred extreme-pressure lubricant to prolong cam service life since 1959 has been and still is ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate).  This is a family of gangly molecules with zinc at the center and two arms containing phosphorous and sulfur.  This circulates in the oil until it reaches the cam-lifter interface.  There one arm is caught in the closing gap, and the entire molecule gets dragged in.  Under extreme pressure, the molecule gets physically crushed into its constituent atoms, and those atoms get embedded among the surface irons of the cam and lifter.  In effect, this plates those surfaces with phosphorous and (better) sulfur.  The plating performs as sacrificial dry lubricant on subsequent engine cycles, renewing itself until ZDDP is exhausted from the oil in 3-4,000 miles.

Before ZDDP, many motor oils used chlorinated paraffin to extend cam life.  It does, but not so well as ZDDP, with the added disadvantage of morphing into hydrochloric acid at engine temperatures.  HCl eats babbit.  Also to be avoided are Teflon additives.  So use Shell Rotunda, Chevron Delo 400, or ZddPlus additive.  I'm out of space.       

Road Dog

Quote from: The70RT on September 17, 2009, 06:43:34 PM
Quote from: Road Dog on September 17, 2009, 10:36:21 AM
I just changed my oil a few weeks ago. Valvoline makes oil for engines with flat tappet cams (says so in big letters right on the bottle). Put in some 20-50. Oil is pretty pricey though.

Was it on the shelf and where here did you buy it at?
I had a talk with the guy at Auto Zone a month or so ago about this issue. Next thing ya know "Bam" the oil was on the shelf. I'll post a pic of the bottle tonight if it helps.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

62 Max

Quote from: six-pack speedshop on September 18, 2009, 03:09:55 AM
Hi Guy's, i was wondering that anybody use the Kendall GT-1, 20W50 SAE?

We are building +/- 20 engines a year and never had any problem with this oil.

Greets

pascal

www.six-packspeedshop.be

The Kendall GT-1 is not the old GT-1.Kendall is now owned by Conoco-Phillips,Houston TX.The old GT-1 is formulated and sold by Brad-Penn who bought reopened the original Kendall refinery in Bradford,Pa.The Brad Penn Grade 1 20/50 racing oil is the same formula as the old GT.1,still is the same Green color.Below is oil analysis ( posted way back in this thread) I had done last year on the Brad Penn.It has more zinc than just about anything on the market.As always,your choice is your decision

Cooter

Where can one buy this "Brad-Penn" oil? I assume it's not on the shelf at the local Auto Zone or Advance Auto Right? Thanks for this thread guys..I was beginning to get concerned I might have to buy some crazy, expensive Roller cam in all my cars...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Musicman

62 Max

Go to Brad Penn's web site,contact then for a distributor in your area.Townsend Gas & Oil Inc ,7244799233 is one of Brad Penn's biggest distributors in PA,he ships all over the US.

Back N Black

Is this the correct EOS from GM?

b5blue

Valvoline Racing Oil now has a new bottle advertising "ZINC" on it!   

68chgr

Try Brad Penn Motor Oil.  It HAS the additive in it and I run 20/50 in a Street 451 Stroker that was built by Precision Automotive in Canton, Ohio.  Harley and Jeff Day specialize in building Mopar's and race Max Wedge and Hemi's in 64 Plymouths. They use only Brad Penn Motor oil and will attest to it's performance.  It was also recommended by Crane Cams and confirmed by Brad Penn when I  questioned the amount of Synthetic Blend (something like 10-15%) being used in the oil. 

You can call Precision Automotive at 330-456-3045 as they also sell Brad Penn oil..  By the way, Jeff Day wrapped up the 2009 Chrysler Classic Max Wedge class in his 64 Plymouth at Norwalk this past September.   

Hey Firefighter...Great meeting you and your racing Buddies at Norwalk.  I'm the guy with the Red 68 Charger across the way.

Good Luck!

b5blue

ACUDANUT

Anyone seen the lastest copy of MCG Magazine. They have a advertizment for a new oil for cars 1975 and older. This company has at least 12 different ads in the magazine but Refuses to list the COST.  :brickwall:
Are they idiots. ?

b5blue

RD

Quote from: b5blue on October 25, 2009, 09:43:38 AM
Valvoline Racing Oil now has a new bottle advertising "ZINC" on it!   

Valvoline has never removed the ZDDP from their oil, it just now has become a major selling point so they advertise it.  I use synergen oil additive.  They make their own oil too.  I buy it from my machinist as he is a dealer and uses two bottles of the additive in every flat tappet start up.  It is really good stuff and he attested to it before he became a dealer.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Valvoline racing oil or all of their oil?  Because I was very much uner the impression that their regular line of oil has had the zinc removed.

b5blue

The Racing oil, the feds made everyone remove it from street oil. Racing= "off road" use I guess, per this topic I checked around and the race oil bottle has changed since my last oil change, now it has ZINC in a big yellow balloon on the label before it was listed on the back of the bottle. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 14, 2009, 10:09:18 AM
Anyone seen the lastest copy of MCG Magazine. They have a advertizment for a new oil for cars 1975 and older. This company has at least 12 different ads in the magazine but Refuses to list the COST.  :brickwall:
Are they idiots. ?

Hey, I was wrong. I counted 25 separate ad's or pics in the same magazine. NO PRICE EVER MENTIONED.

pullrock

Looks like there is a new OIL to hit the market.  Has anyone used it yet?

It is called Z-ALT and there are many adds in Mopar Collector's Guide.

Eric

b5blue

Great how we can special order and pay extra for what use to be everywhere and worked fine for 60 years.  :eek2:

Ghoste

Isn't it great when the government makes everything all better? :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: pullrock on November 18, 2009, 10:36:20 AM
Looks like there is a new OIL to hit the market.  Has anyone used it yet?

It is called Z-ALT and there are many adds in Mopar Collector's Guide.

Eric
There is only 25 seperate ad's for this stuff in that mag..  The price is top secret though.

Ghoste

50 bucks for 6 quarts or 90 for 12.  Honestly, if it prevents a cam wipe then it's well worth it IMO.