News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Officially started the paint process on my clone.

Started by hotrod98, July 15, 2008, 11:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71ChallengeHer

moparstuart

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on August 13, 2008, 10:27:38 PM
Panther Pink ?  :popcrn: :popcrn:
my wife would  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: over that If i had the money larry would be painting mine panther pink but it stays red !!!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I have to limit her choices to only the colors that I would approve of or otherwise every car around here would be painted limelight.
And, I keep reminding her that her superbird clone is going to be limelight
Anyway, I'll be shooting some red and white paint very very soon. Maybe even tomorrow. The rain is coming though and it's supposed to rain for the next entire week. Starting to feel like Seattle around here. Fist 104 degree heat and now constant rain. Sheeesh.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

isnt rain better than the heat ?  I hate the rain here just because it makes the salvage yard soggy/muddy .

hotrod98

A little rain isn't too bad, but a lot of rain (humidity) can make the clear blush. Luckily, I'm using polyester primer and it doesn't absorb moisture like some primers. As soon as I get the 70 Barracuda off of the trailer and into the front shop, I'll go back and see what I can get accomplished on the clone today.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Started to paint the clone today and noticed that the drip check sealer that I used on the drip rail seams a few weeks ago was looking kind of strange. Seems like it skimmed over too quickly in the 95+ degree days and then shrank later. It wasn't even sticking all that well. I had to remove all of it and start over again. That's going to slow me down for a day or so. I plan to tape the car up tomorrow and possibly paint the body on Monday. I've never had that problem with 3M drip check sealer before.  :shruggy:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Okay, here's the latest pics.
I drove the car out into the yard today and washed it inside and out. That's an absolute must before taping and shooting.
Moved it into the booth and removed the rims and placed it on jack stands. I don't like painting close to the floor. I would rather use a step to reach the center of the roof than have dust blowing up off of the floor.
I removed the exhaust filters...they were nasty already. I'll drive over to the paint store tomorrow and pick some up and hopefully start shooting the clone tomorrow evening.
More pics then.
Rene, you better hurry up. I might just pull this one off.  ;D

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Two more pics.
My wife and her puppy in the first pic and the clone clown in the second pic.

Charles Addams

dads_69

Awesome Larry. I'll be painting a '69 this week as well, it's a Vet' but at least it's a '69! Is your booth coated w/the spray booth coating for protection or?
I'll be painting my very own car soon as well thank goodness.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

I need to coat it.
I can never remember to pick up the coating when I'm at the paint store. The one time that I did remember they were out.

I painted my 72 vette pearl white many years ago. I haven't owned a vette in years. I had a 64 convert and a 66 coupe as well. My wife and I started counting all of the musclecars that we've owned since we met and we stopped at around 300. That's almost an average of 10 a year. Hard to believe that we're 52. When we were in high school  and college musclecars were cheap. We've also owned a 66 Chevy II drag car, a 69 camaro funny car and four dragsters. As soon as my wife's superbird clone is finished, I hope to get started on my 70 Barracuda drag car. More toys.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

Howie

I know the color I know the color :woohoo: :woohoo: It aint what it was gonna be. Better hurry up larry. I will be back from england before you know it and want to see it together. Oh my son picked out the color for the 74. He is on the same wavelength that your wife is on. GREEN.

moparstuart

hotrod98

Quote from: Howie on August 18, 2008, 09:35:47 AM
I know the color I know the color :woohoo: :woohoo: It aint what it was gonna be. Better hurry up larry. I will be back from england before you know it and want to see it together. Oh my son picked out the color for the 74. He is on the same wavelength that your wife is on. GREEN.

Limelight or Sassy Grass?

Charles Addams

Howie

Sassy Grass!  I still haven`t decided on the color of my daytona recreation.  How about you stuart. Have you got your color picked out for your daytona project?

moparstuart

my wife wants panther pink , but the budget for right now makes it Viper red , it will stay the color cudaken painted it and we will just touch up where it need be .  It has a black stripe now , but i really want to change to white .

Howie

Stuart, go with panther pink with a black stripe and get the wife on board. Larry asked my wife what color and how she wanted her cuda done and her responce was when I am ready I will have him take me down to the car dealer and pick out a car. Needless to say a month after larry said that her car was T boned and totalled. She was OK and his insurance paid for the total. She now has an 08 Honda Accord. Larry has his cuda back and now I have a run around charger and am working on my second hemi for the coronet.
Get her on board and she drive the pink wing : and you drive the green wing. :popcrn: :2thumbs: 

hotrod98

You have to admit that a pink daytona would definitely get the attention. People would know your car all over the world.
Besides, if you paint it now while you're building it , it wouldn't cost all that much more.
It wouldn't blend into the crowd like a black one...I mean a red one.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 18, 2008, 02:53:30 PM
You have to admit that a pink daytona would definitely get the attention. People would know your car all over the world.
Besides, if you paint it now while you're building it , it wouldn't cost all that much more.
It wouldn't blend into the crowd like a black one...I mean a red one.  ;D
I'm glad you guys like to spend the money I dont have , She is on board with the pink , I just dont have the green to do it !

red for now , pink when i'm rich  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

hotrod98

Spent part of the day in the booth. The basecoat is applied and I'll be going back in to add the clearcoat shortly. Pro Spray basecoat stays open for several hours when you use the 1:1 method of mixing. By waiting a while before applying clearcoat, the basecoat solvents have time to evaporate properly. Less chance of getting solvent pop or blushing. It's almost too humid to be painting today, but it's supposed to be raining for the next week or so. I was running out of options.

Pop quiz. Did I decide on red or black?  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

I hate painting black. It shows every imperfection.

Charles Addams

dads_69

Alright damn it, is this color a base coat for another color? Black cars look awesome at night and when, well fresh out of the booth, after that, the maintenance on a black car is endless.

Damn it, I really want a black car now, it's like a love hate thing, ha ha.....
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Blown70

I thought this was going to be RED..... Sure looks black to me.....NICE LOVE BLACK!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 19, 2008, 06:10:41 PM
blushing

By blushing you don't mean "dye back" do you?  Or does blushing happen in the BC stage.  Please educate me.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?