News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Progress on the '73 SE ::: Update Sept 22nd - Misc Progress

Started by 73ChargerSE, July 26, 2008, 11:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

Thanks, el Duderino.  The summer has actually been pretty mild comparatively to past years.  Still a couple months left though so we'll see

HKCharger

73ChargerSE

Put the driveshaft and some other misc things on the car and pulled it out on the street and cleaned it up a little bit, took some pictures too. Also got an air cleaner decal.  All I need is my exhaust done and to get my wiring shipped in from Year One.  I'm on a backorder list for the YO stuff, so it kind of throws a wrench in the works. This is the first time the car has been complete since February or March of '06.  Long time coming.  Can't wait to get everything finalized. 

Paul

Harlow

:2thumbs: Looks good dude. It'll be cool to see that car up and running.

73ChargerSE

And it's current resting place.  Now with cleaner concrete  ;)

BMOTOXSTAR

Where is AZ do you live? I have family that lives in Peoria.
I will hopefully be moving there next Spring. :icon_smile_big:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

73ChargerSE

I'm in Tucson.  Couple hours drive from Peoria, I've got a bunch of friends that live there when school isn't going on.

Bob

73ChargerSE

Well got the exhaust done and started connecting all the wiring.  It's 2 1/2" with an X-pipe and Magnaflows.  I love the tips, I was thinking about the slotted tips but I like these too much.  Hopefully within the next week or so I can get the motor running and broken in.  I'll have some sound clips for you guys I'm sure. 

It's getting closer!

CHRGR SE

Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

Harlow

73ChargerSE

Well went to the shop today at about 10 AM for break-in.  Lot of preparation was involved in it, but the motor finally got broken in.  Our first problem was fuel not getting to the carb, turns out the lines were clogged, so some air fixed that.  The first few times we started the car, the alternator belt was squeeling, lo and behold, the bearing on the pulley was frozen on a BRAND NEW alternator and not spinning whatsoever.  We pulled off the belt and kept the battery up with a charger.  At some point soon, I am going to need to get that fixed.  Found some little leaks, valve covers, tranny pan, water neck, etc.  The rockers were clacking a bit, and upon inspection we found that one of the adjusters had backed out and the nut had come completely off.  Fortunately nothing was hurt, just some metal shavings in the heads that we cleaned up.  The car will stay the night at the shop and they will look at the rockers a bit more because of the clacking.  All in all it was a very productive day.  Time to do some homework now.

A couple of questions:

1. How much noise will roller rockers typically make?  I know they may be louder than stock rockers, but by how much?
2. Should I change the oil as soon as I get the car back?  What oil should I use?

And I know threads are worthless without pics, so here you go.  The videos are really crappy because they are on my cell phone, my apologies.

Paul

E5 Charger

I like your exhaust tips too. Where and how much? The slotted are expensive.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

73ChargerSE

My local shop had them.  My exhaust system was $500 or so and that included the tips.  They are almost like the slotted tips.

BMOTOXSTAR

Nice man !
Thanks for the hook up on the harness as well and working with me on that deal.  :2thumbs:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

firefighter3931

Paul, good work man....the engine sounds healthy !  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on November 18, 2008, 06:36:03 PM
A couple of questions:

1. How much noise will roller rockers typically make?  I know they may be louder than stock rockers, but by how much?
2. Should I change the oil as soon as I get the car back?  What oil should I use?

To answer your questions :

(1) Roller rockers are a little noisier than stock rockers. The Comp XE cam profiles also create a little more valvetrain noise vs a milder old school cam. Something to keep an eye on is the retainers/locks on the Stealth heads...see the link :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49442.0.html

* after reading through all that my advice would be to swap in the Comp cams #741 valvespring retainer amd the matching Comp Cams #613 machined 10* locks.  :yesnod:

(2) Change the oil immediately ; Valvoline VR1 20/50 with a bottle of GM EOS or ZZDP+ and use a Napa "Gold" oil filter. I would continue to use this filter/lube recipe in the future for maximum protection.  :2thumbs:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

Any specific reason for the 20/50?  Not that I am doubting you, just seeing reasoning behind it.  I do live in AZ

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on November 18, 2008, 10:30:02 PM
Any specific reason for the 20/50?  Not that I am doubting you, just seeing reasoning behind it.  I do live in AZ

The VR1 20/50 is a race oil and will provide good protection for your friction parts ; bearings/rings/lifters etc....

In hotter climates thicker oil is actually more desirable. Heck i run 20/50 up here in the Frozen North we call Canada.  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 18, 2008, 10:39:12 PM
Quote from: 73ChargerSE on November 18, 2008, 10:30:02 PM

The VR1 20/50 is a race oil and will provide good protection for your friction parts ; bearings/rings/lifters etc....

In hotter climates thicker oil is actually more desirable. Heck i run 20/50 up here in the Frozen North we call Canada.  :lol:

Ron

Glad you said it Ron, I used to run 20/50 all the time when I lived out in AZ with my 440.  It definitely did not like anything less especially in Tucson during the summer.

Beer

Thats where the brake proportion valve goes... Was looking for some pics showing it  :icon_smile_big:
I lost my Disassembly picture CD... :'(

:cheers:
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

73ChargerSE

Finally got to take the car out on it's maiden voyage.  I was having some transmission leakage issues that I didn't want to deal with, because I hate working in dirt, and it's cold. Got the oil changed on it as well.  The car pulls REALLY well and it's breaking my peg leg 8 1/4" loose like it's nothing.  I took the car by emissions yesterday and it failed the idle tests.  I'm thinking I may have it too rich and a mechanic looked at my numbers and said I may have a misfire as well.  My father drove the car as well and said it was a lot tougher than it was when he owned it.  I'm waiting for my power steering brackets and pulley to get here, the earlier block I used didn't have the correct bosses for my type of bracket.  All in all it's coming together.  This site has been and will always be a huge help to me.  Thanks guys, and a virtual beer to you all!   :cheers: :cheers:

I promise I'll have pictures when I get it cleaned up!

Paul

Harlow

Nice! You gotta get a video too.

Is it failing the CO% test of the HC test?

73ChargerSE

It's failing hydrocarbons.  I'm gonna be at my parents today washing the car and cleaning it out a little bit, so I'll take some pictures and video.  I'll also get the emissions numbers for anyone emission savvy here.

73ChargerSE

Got some more work done today. Come in to my parents house and there's a Bouchillon Performance box sitting in the living room containing my new power steering brackets. Worked for about 4 hours with multiple runs to parts stores etc. Put a different latch mechanism in on my driver side door, complete with all new door clips (ACE hardware saves lives).  I now have a functioning driver side door, can't figure out whats wrong with the lock though.  Also put my new power steering brackets and fan pulley on, they look great and function even better; no more squealing!  Last night I started cleaning up the lower door panel on the driver side since it was off already.  Scuff marks are almost completely gone, and to my surprise there was not much chalking on the panel.  Tomorrow I may try to take my kick panels and other lower door panels off and try to clean those up as well.  Will get pictures tomorrow, I promise!

Paul

73ChargerSE

Took the Charger out for a bit today, gave it another bath.  Transmission is leaking again a little bit, don't know what from.  Got some attention out on the streets near the house.  Here's some pictures I promised.