News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

About ready to spray color coat & have some questions...

Started by AKcharger, August 19, 2008, 09:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I'm helping out a pal with his '71 Charger and we did the 1st coat of filler primer yesterday. We were leaning towards a single stage for simplicity/cost, here's my questions:

- We're using PPG K36 primer an dplanning on using OMNI single stage, do we really NEED a sealer? if so how much?
- Can you color sand and buff out single stage paint?
- Since this is the 1st time I will have painted anything other than door jambs and engine bays I was going to suggest he go with non-metallic colors like top banana to avoid "tiger striping." Any other suggestions for an amatur paint sprayer?

Thanks

AK

bill440rt

My advice: DON'T use Omni!  :eek2:

I found it to be garbage. Didn't cover worth a crap, even after 5 coats (this was Sublime green). Their Spinnaker White was a tad better, can't speak for Top Banana/Lemon Twist though. This was all over standard colored medium gray primer (DP mixed as a sealer).

Better off spending a little more up front for better paint, IMHO. Less coats, better coverage, better shine.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

Sealer always has been optional. I always opt to use it. Last Time I sprayed single stage OMNI was on a black 82 Riviera about 10 years back. I remember it covering OK. It can be rubbed to a high gloss if Catalyzed. I would not recommend a single stage metallic. LEON.

AKcharger

Thanks guys

...Bill I used OMNI on my '70 with good results (see below, also did 3 clear coats over it) still holding up well after 5 years, but I'll keep that in mind and check prices, I have learned you get what you pay for.

...Hampton when you say "rubbed out" you mean 2000 grit and a buff of just hit it with rubbing compound?

Oh yeah how long after you paint should you buff, I've heard you can't wait too long?

AK

Silver R/T

omni will do fine, its not best but it's still better than sherwin williams paints, etc. You could just spray primer sealer and top coat it. Once you cut and buff it it will be just as glossy as it it were clear coated.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Yes, Sand with 2000 & rub or something similar. I like to let it dry a few days to shrink up. If you rub to soon you'll get dieback (dulling) & shrinkage(meaning sand scratches & bulls eyes, ect, possibly) Wait to long & could be hard as a rock. Some clears are hard as a rock in a week while others are not. Not sure how the omni single stage will be in a week. I dont remember rubbing my buddy's black Riviera being a quicky $300 earl scheib type job. LEON.

dads_69

Are you talking about Mike's Pro-Street '71 charger? If so, I lost his number plus I have been working 6 days a week. Not much time for anything till later this year, maybe.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

AKcharger

Yup! that's the one. it's going to be an animal when he's done, here's a few photos me doing the first coat and mike finishing the 2nd

hemi-hampton

I thought Priming in your driveway like that was illegal? You can't let your Neighbors see you do that around here. LEON.

hotrod98

Final sand after the final coat of primer with 600 grit and skip the sealer. Just make sure that you don't sand throught the primer anywhere. If you go with a yellow, be sure and base it with a white basecoat first. Most yellows don't cover well on the corners and edges. Stay away from metallics, pearls or black and life will be better.
Note: Sealer is a product used for filling 320 grit or finer sand scratches and also give a uniform color for the basecoat to prevent shadows, ect.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

bill440rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 20, 2008, 06:18:50 PM
I thought Priming in your driveway like that was illegal? You can't let your Neighbors see you do that around here. LEON.

As an "at home restorer", I've primed many cars in driveways, heck even painted a few "beaters" outdoors. When I was younger & living at my parents' house, a pesky neighbor actually called the cops on me once. I was told by the police that as long as I wasn't running a business & just doing it on my own as a hobby, there was no legal problem at all.
I no longer live there, but my new neighbors are even better!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

Yeah, same here & exact same thing happened to me. BUT, I use the back yard or garage & have a tall fence all around, I would never do it in the front yard. LEON.

AKcharger

Well I don't think anyone cared...we were a spectacle for the neighborhood kids  :icon_smile_big: