News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rearend noise/vibration SOLVED, hearing other noises

Started by 69chargeryeehaa, June 25, 2008, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargeryeehaa

Ok, well finally I've solved my rear end noise and 30-40mph and 60mph + THRUMMMMM......THRUMMMMM......THRUMMMM rhythmic vibration.  Little background on that, i had the rear end rebuilt by a rep mopar tranny guy, who swore the axle bearings felt "good" when he was putting new 3.23 gears in my 69 charger r/t/440/auto/8.75.  As soon as i get the car back, i noticed the same vibration/noises but it was very suttle and not violent as before.  The original pig was back in the car, new gears/bearings, and still the damm vibration.  Finally, after going thru the front end, i changed the front wheel bearings, and found one not so tight tie-rod end, changed all that, nothing...same noise/vibe.  So i pulled the axles, and sure enough the bearings felt "good" but i changed them anyways, and found one to be totally pitted/missing chunks from the inner race!!.  The guy who rebuilt my rear end didn't correctly adjust the end play, it was 0.100"!!! and that's what made me pull the axles.  Also there was no lock on the adjuster, but i figured this guy is a pro, so why double check his work right???  anyways after the new bearings install (keep in mind the ring/pinion was new, all new bearings in the center section, new u-joints, ect....) the rear end is silent, but now i still have the rhythmic vibration in the front steering wheel now and not from the rear!!!!  you couldn't hear it, just feel it in the steering wheel.  SO i get my tires balanced and i rotated them (which the tires and rims are NEW) but the vibe was still there.  SO i flipped the rear u-joint 180*deg, now the car is PERFECT rides like on glass, no vibes no noises!!!!!  :yesnod: well i am happy the rear/vibe is ok now, but i find i hear new noises i just haven't' noticed before.....

Now i notice during low speed turning (<30mph), a clunk coming from the front end, but for the life of me i can't find where it's coming from, I've checked everything, everything is tight, and in excellent shape.  Ideas????

Blown70

Ball joint?  You said you did the tie rods right?

69chargeryeehaa

well i checked the whole front end, the only thing i could find was a tiny movement in the pass outer tie rod, but i changed that.  I've pried on all the balljoints and they are tight..... :brickwall:  the problem is it's very random, it only happens at low speeds, or when reversing and then going forward/turning.

Back N Black

Just 6T9 CHGR

out of curiosity, when you say you "flipped" the rear joint, you mean that you unbolted the driveshaft & turned it 180º and then reconnected it?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 26, 2008, 02:29:55 AM
out of curiosity, when you say you "flipped" the rear joint, you mean that you unbolted the driveshaft & turned it 180º and then reconnected it?

yes, that's exactly what i did, unbolted the 2 "U" retainers, turned the drive shaft 180*deg and bolted it back on.  Last night i punched it to 95mph on the highway, smooth as a baby's a$$... :D :cheers:

Jonas_N

I am a little surprised here, you fixed the vibrations by rotating the whole rear axle 180 deg.  :o

Thing is that I have the exact same symptoms on mine...same THRUMMMM    THRUMMMM... vibrations.
Maybe should try and rotate it.  :scratchchin: