News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter Help Needed

Started by Neal_J, August 31, 2008, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal_J

I been driving my 69 very little this year due to an intermitent starting problem.  Sometimes the car starts but often I get nothing but a click (presumably from the starter relay).  Initially, I thought it was electrical and replaced the battery and had the alternator tested.  I have 12.8 volts DC at the battery.  I've replaced the relay. I can't start it by jumping the relay.  I checked and cleaned the leads to the starter and relay. The only think that occassionally enables starting is a few good whacks to the starter with a hammer.

Diagnosis:  bad solenodie. Cure:  replace the starter.

Anyone agree/disagree before I get greasy?

Thanks, Neal

General_01

Sounds about right.

My '69 used to do that. I would tap the brakes while turning the key and sometimes it would catch and fire. Not sure what the heck the deal was. I sold the car before I ever got to check it out.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

ACUDANUT

Neal_J

Nope, it neither starts in neutral or park.

Here's how today went:

After a week without driving cool car, go out to garage & attempt to start it.  Won't start.
Bang on starter with hammer.  Still won't start.
Get pissed and walk away.
Come back after later.
Test engine/chassis ground by using jumper cable between block & chassis.  Still won't start.
Go buy starter relay. Come home - I hate ALL Kragen employees.
Pound on starter with hammer. Starts!~  Back car out of garage with smile.
Replace starter relay.  Did no good, now won't start again.  Dammit!
Get jack stands out.  Still won't start.   Keep trying to start.
Say 2-4 miscellaneous Christian, Jewish & Buddist prayers/chants.
Starts!!  Thank you Jesus, Elohim, Budda, Mohammad~
Drive on engine stands, smiling
Immediately attempt to restart.  Won't start.
With key in On position, short relay.  No start.
Remove & inspect wires to starter.  Clean terminal ends with sandpaper.
Starts!!~
Drive around block and celebrate with small burnout.
Park in driveway.
Immediately attempt to restart.  No start!~ WTF!?!?!?!?!??
Start swearing and throwing tools.
Good thing that now-broken screwdriver is/was a Craftsman...
Curse self for not shorting starter at starter terminals.
Quit for awhile.  Plan trip to Sears to replace broken screwdriver.
Bang on starter with hammer.  Won't start.
Lock car & cover it because its staying outside tonight.
Ponder the value of organized religion.

And how was YOUR Sunday?

Thanks for letting me rant...

Neal

ACUDANUT

Damn, been there....Done that... Drink more beer.... What about just replacing the starter itself ?  Maybe bad wires/corrosion ?? Linkage problems causing it not wanting to turn over in park or neutral ? You should be at least able to jump the starter relay to get it to turn over.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The "bang with a BFH" confirms that the starter is NG....replace with a mini-starter & you wont look back ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Neal_J

Any particular reason to go with the mini vs. the regular boat-anchor starter for a 318?

Neal

Just 6T9 CHGR

Reliability for one....

Also weight savings.....good for at least a tenth in the 1/4  :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Neal_J

Important factors, indeed.  But does the mini starter SOUND the same?

Gotta have that cool Mopar gear-reduction starter noise!~

Neal

Brock Samson

yeah go with the mini starter I haven't had a single problem since installing my several years ago, where as before it was one of the most problematic parts of the car. i wrapped mine with a section of thermal insulation to ward off heat sink.
as far as it sounding the same, my MSD 6 and billet MSD distributor give such a strong spark there's no more whine...
  reo linda indeed...  :lol:
    just do it.  :slap:

Neal_J

So, apart from weight savings which are irrelevant to me, the heavier OEM starters are not considered as reliable as the minis?

Brock Samson

on the face of it, it would seem the minis are a much better built unit...

Charger-Bodie

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say that i like my whiny , obese starter......... I too love that sound when it turns over.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Neal_J on September 02, 2008, 10:31:41 AM
Important factors, indeed.  But does the mini starter SOUND the same?

Gotta have that cool Mopar gear-reduction starter noise!~

Neal
No....it actually makes the sound of a car actually starting and not clicking like yours does now....

;)

All kidding aside they sound like a Ram truck starting....or my Daytona
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Neal_J

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 02, 2008, 06:07:17 PM

No....it actually makes the sound of a car actually starting and not clicking like yours does now....

HARRR-DEEE-EHARRR-HARRR, fella !!

New starter ordered today, heavyweight version.  Gotta have that sound~

Will report once installed.

Neal

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Neal_J

Replaced the starter today.  Removal/reinstall took about an hour and was a snap.  Best of all, it works like a champ!

All is right in Chargerland!!~

Neal

ACUDANUT

41husk

I am having problems starting the 73 with the mini starter it turns over but sounds like it is not engaging, some times it fires sometimes :brickwall: not.  Problem is with headers I have to jack the engine up and pull the header off to change the starter :RantExplode:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Neal_J

41, that was one of my challenges too:  how can I replace the starter when it won't start so I can't get it up on stands readily.  Tip:  use a BFH.

Neal