News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Considering Buying a 71 Charger What Should I Look For?

Started by 71B_body, August 05, 2008, 09:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71B_body

Hi, This is my first post to this forum and hopefully not my last if this all works out.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1971 Charger 318 Auto for about $6500 and was wondering what I should look for in terms of rust or other wear and tear that could cause me serious pain down the road. I am currently in college and was planing to use the car as a daily driver as well as a bit of a fixer-upper.

Would a car like this be at least some what reliable for semi-daily use? and what should I look for/ ask the owner about before purchase? Belts, fluids, electrical, rust, ect.

Also this car does not come installed with a radio or any sound system and the A/C is designed to use freon, would it be expensive to get a new or newish modern a/c compressor? and would it be expensive or excessively complicated to install speakers and a radio?

Really appreciate the help, I tried searching the forum but I wasn't able to find all of the answers. 
I have attached pictures from the sellers listing of the car.

BC

71charger_fan

If the car in the photo is the one you're considering and the left side looks anything like the right, grab it. Put an electronic ignition in it, change the fluids, belts, and hoses and you should be in business. Check the wheel cylinders, at least one of them is likely frozen. At least that's been my experience. Check the vinyl top for bubbles as rust loves to grow under those moisture traps.

You can get a pair of 6x9s in the package shelf. It takes a bit of convincing on the passenger side as what looks like a speaker cutout was really for the air intake for optional defogger and is smaller than the driver's side cutout. It can be done.

71charger_fan

That's strange, the first time I opened this thread, only one photo loaded, now I see three more. Ah, the randomness of the internet.

71B_body

@71charger_fan: that's good to hear, so then it won't really be a big deal for me to find some speakers and a radio to tie it all together then?

Also I have decided to take it to a local shop where I used to work, most of the guy's there are fans of Detroit iron and they plan to do a full inspection on the car from the distributor down to the suspension bushings. 

So now I am just crossing my figures hoping this all works out and I get a charger as a daily driver.

evil1

You might have to cut the dash ( I wouldn't do it ) to get a modern radio to fit, if its already been cut , no problem. It looks like a nice enough car ,  6500 is not a bad deal.... but its not a real good deal eather ,   :Twocents:

konigcharger

Quote from: evil1 on August 05, 2008, 03:01:21 PM
6500 is not a bad deal.... but its not a real good deal eather , :Twocents:

:iagree: almost seems a bit high for a base model charger... but it looks really clean  :-\

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

NHCharger

Looks like a clean car. My 72 looked that clean when I bought it, lots of hidden rust and bondo. You don't say where your located, hopefully not in the rust belt.
Definitely have your buddies give it a through going over. The little things can add up quickly. New dash pad, $500.00+ for instance.
I wouldn't cut the dash, I installed a after market under the dash on the passenger side, buy a unit with a remote control so you don't have to reach for it.
As far as reliable do what 71CF said, install electronic ignition and your good to go, converted both my 71 & 72. I've driven about 30k miles with my Chargers and have never been left stranded (except an initial shake down cruise with the 71, electrical problems-what a surprise ;) )
I also think the price is a bit high. Go on e-bay and check completed listings, try to find some comparables. For 6.5k that car should need nothing but a driver.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

NHCharger

Quote from: chargerman68 on August 06, 2008, 08:25:34 PM
look for a 2nd gen :cheers:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :badidea: :badidea:

He's about to buy the best looking Charger (or car for that matter) ever made. Why take a step down and settle for a 2nd gen  :cheers: :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

craigandlynda

the body looks really good, take a magnet with you and carefully check for bondo... a little is no problem, but beware the large expanses under the pretty paintjob...check carefully around prone areas- the common ones would be rockers, lower quarters, lower front fenders, and rear side of trunk lid....anotherarea specific to 71's is this....raise the hood, inspect the hing mounting areas closely, especially where the bolts go thru to the inner fenders...now, leave the hood up, and use your index finger to trace a line from the front of the hinge, up over the top of the fender, and down the outside of thefender...i have seen this area rust frequently, from inside out...i believe there is a weld line there, and the weld has weakened the metal...also, around the fender mounted turnsignals....if repaired w steel, no problemo...but large areas of bondo around hing mount areas could be trouble...reapairable, but should affect price. :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:

71B_body

really appreciate all the help guys, its scheduled to be fully inspected next week and I'll definitly check the parts everyone has mentioned and report back. Hopefully when I do report back it is with a new awesomely better car.

chargerman68

Quote from: NHCharger on August 07, 2008, 05:42:42 PM
Quote from: chargerman68 on August 06, 2008, 08:25:34 PM
look for a 2nd gen :cheers:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :badidea: :badidea:

He's about to buy the best looking Charger (or car for that matter) ever made. Why take a step down and settle for a 2nd gen  :cheers: :cheers:

:slap:

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

69DodgeCharger

a 68 or 69 Charger. There's the 2nd Gen's......and then there is everything else!
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

NHCharger

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The suspense is killing me. Yes or no.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71B_body

So looks like that was a no go. Guy was to reluctant to drive it down or have me take it down the mechanics I know so I didn't feel comfortable buying it.

Oh well if I get desperate enough for one I might just go back and pick it up, but it is nice shopping for a car without needing to purchase anything right now. Without a sense of crap-I-need-wheels I car hunt a lot more intelligently.

Guess I will still be browsing around the interwebs looking for a good muscle car for under in or around $7000.

NHCharger

You made the right decision. If the owner doesn't want a qualified mechanic looking at it he's definitely hiding something with that nice paint job. Fall is a great time to buy antique cars in snow country. If an owner is looking to sell he does not want to store the car all winter just to try and sell it in the spring so prices are usually more negotiable before winter. Happy hunting :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel